• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

question on rifle for bear, mass (yes I looked at fish and game's site. )

I know it has to be above .23 cal, is there any issues with semi auto? mag capacity? I have 300 blk and 7.62x51 rifles,Both semi auto.
Thanks for any help.

Not to be a richard cranium, but the EPOs at the Hunter Ed classes that I've helped teach say, "If it's not unlawful, it's ok."

Since there is no prohibition on rifle type (other than what you already noticed), you're good.

That's why it's very important that you are clear on the laws - handguns for bear have some very odd twists.

Are you baiting or running dogs? If not the success rate in Maine is like 3% for just "stumbling" onto a bear. I wish you the best of luck and definitely use the .308 but don't get discouraged if you strike out.

I don't expect to get one, (no dogs or baiting in the peoples republic of mass) a friend gave us some bear meat and we liked it so I am adding it onto my hunting list. we do have a healthy population here in town.

Good luck. You might just see something.

And you still have a few days to pick up a Blackhawk in 41 or 44 mag. [smile] I think its the only handgun hunting allowed in ma.

.308 is perfect. Leave the Blackout at home. It's only got half the muzzle energy of the .308 and not nearly enough for a large, tough animal.

I have never had bear meat. I hear its nasty though. I don't think I'll be seeing any of those big cuddly bastards any time soon. I live on Cape. Although one did decide to come vacation here a few summers ago!

The bear my dad got 45 years ago was not tasty, he hated it. a friend got a young one last year and he gave us some it was great in stew. I think it is very much how is is handled after the kill, get it cool and get the fat off it.

Hunting black bear in the northeast without bait or dogs is one of the hardest game animals to collect. Good luck to you.

I think it is very much how is is handled after the kill, get it cool and get the fat off it.

This is basically the biggest thing about any wild game IMO, well the fat part is more specific to bears. I have had great moose and nasty moose and I know why the nasty one was nasty, it's all about the meat handling. Get it cleaned and cooled ASAP and generally bear is pretty good.

This is basically the biggest thing about any wild game IMO, well the fat part is more specific to bears. I have had great moose and nasty moose and I know why the nasty one was nasty, it's all about the meat handling. Get it cleaned and cooled ASAP and generally bear is pretty good.

When we go moose hunting we always bring a bunch of 1 and 2 liter bottles filled with water and frozen. Once the moose is on the trailer we fill the body with the ice bottles and wrap with a tarp for tagging and trucking to the butcher. It works very well at rapidly cooling the majority of the animal durin6 4-6 hours getting everything squared away, I imagine a similar method would work for bear.

Back
Top Bottom