question on new inheritance/broken stock

Well, my grandfather finally lost his battle with brain cancer two weeks ago. It is a sad time for us but he has moved on to a better place and we are greatfull he is no longer in any pain. I was supprised to learn he bequeathed to Me his ruger 10/22. Its not quite as nice as his browning a5 but it has much more sentimental value as I used to plink cans with it out in the woods behind his house when i was a boy. I dont think it has been fired since then. Somewhere between then and now the stock has cracked clean through the thin part by the bolt. My qustion is.....Wondering if you guys think it is worth attempting to glue and clamp? Do you think it would hold up or should i just buy a replacement? The black synthetic oem 's are cheap enough for me but i think he would be dissapointed if i didnt keep a wood stock. If any of you have an old wooden stock you would be willing to part with for a fair price shoot me a pm. Other than a good cleaning do you guys have any other recommendations before i take it out to the range? Thanks as usual for all your help.

steve

I would try gluing. Being a 22, its not going to have a lot of recoil so it may just hold

Sorry for your loss, I'm sure he'll be happy to see you shooting the Ruger.

Post a picture of the stock.

A 10/22 will last forever, check it for rusting, basic cleaning and go shooting.

Well, my grandfather finally lost his battle with brain cancer two weeks ago. It is a sad time for us but he has moved on to a better place and we are greatfull he is no longer in any pain. I was supprised to learn he bequeathed to Me his ruger 10/22. Its not quite as nice as his browning a5 but it has much more sentimental value as I used to plink cans with it out in the woods behind his house when i was a boy. I dont think it has been fired since then. Somewhere between then and now the stock has cracked clean through the thin part by the bolt. My qustion is.....Wondering if you guys think it is worth attempting to glue and clamp? Do you think it would hold up or should i just buy a replacement? The black synthetic oem 's are cheap enough for me but i think he would be dissapointed if i didnt keep a wood stock. If any of you have an old wooden stock you would be willing to part with for a fair price shoot me a pm. Other than a good cleaning do you guys have any other recommendations before i take it out to the range? Thanks as usual for all your help.

steve

I have a wood stock that I would guess is 60's vintage I would sell if you end up needing one.

Thanks for the thoughts. I would love to save the original stock if possible so I'll order some of the acra glass and give it a shot. Thanks. I will post a picture when (if) my son goes down for a nap if the glue doesn't work i will take one of you [chet0729/dhuze] up on your offers. Thanks all

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. I would feel the same way about saving the original stock. Acraglas comes in two types - acraglas and acraglas gel. It's an epoxy, and while some epoxies are great adhesives, acraglas is usually used for bedding the action, making a perfect mold for the barrel to rest in, but not so much for holding things together. Best bet is to do a sample run on scrap wood, then see if it can be pulled apart a day or two later. I found that the wood glue made by Gorilla brand (sold in Lowe's or Home Cheapo) is unbelievably strong when I had to laminate some 2x4s together. You'll tear the wood apart before the glue bond gives. Try both products side by side on scrap wood.
When you go to fix the stock, wrap the area in clear shipping tape, then take a razor blade and cut along the crack. That way you can inject the glue and not smear it anywhere else. Clamp it and set it in a warm place (70F) for a day or two. Good luck.
Edit: Google "repairing cracked gunstock". Lots of videos and free advice there.

Last edited:
20150117_195653.jpg 20150117_195701.jpg

Here is the break. Thanks again for all of the advise. now that you see it any other thoughts? Also this reminded me to go green again. I kept putting it off!! Worth every penny.

JWPaolilliJr, do you think the epoxy would work in this instance? Like Woodstock, I thought any serious poly glue (gorrilla) would do a good job as I have used it for other wood working projects in the past but wasn't sure about how it would react to excessive heat from shooting.

Last edited:
take a look at this guy's posts on the surplus rifle forum. I'm sure you can find a project the mimics your situation, which doesn't look all that bad actually. He recommends the kit as well and I used it on an old Winchester 1897 stock.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=137

Here's my stock fix, which if you mix the color right it's really hard to see the original crack.

yZyTVDu.jpg

VXJzPYA.jpg

p4rr83d.jpg

lYJqqjI.jpg

nuWGd0J.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That gives me plenty of hope. How long did it take you? I will check it out. Thanks

it didn't take all that long, maybe like 4 sessions because I had to do two fills to get it just right. What was complicated about my fix--and I don't have a photo of this--is I had to put the tang in the stock to mold the hole just right. I put a epoxy release gel on it but was really concerned it was going to get stuck, but I got it out and the tang fits in there perfectly.

Moral of the story though, is don't be afraid to remove material on the inside. look at this fix.. he uses a fiberglass backing inside. Also his technique of "hog tying" with twine works great--apples just enough pressure evenly to hold

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=54813

Last edited:
In addition to glue/ epoxy I think you could drill more than half way through it with a small bit ,insert a pin or put in a thin wood screw and then clamp it for a day. After it's cured, sand it and touch up with stain. You'll be able to see the spot where you drilled but I think it will just add to the story
When you pass it down. Good luck

View attachment 125695View attachment 125696

Here is the break. Thanks again for all of the advise. now that you see it any other thoughts? Also this reminded me to go green again. I kept putting it off!! Worth every penny.

JWPaolilliJr, do you think the epoxy would work in this instance? Like Woodstock, I thought any serious poly glue (gorrilla) would do a good job as I have used it for other wood working projects in the past but wasn't sure about how it would react to excessive heat from shooting.

It looks to me like the wood cracked as it dried out over the years. The 10-22 stock is really thin in that area.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of any repair you make there. Almost any glue or epoxy you use is going to be stronger than the wood itself and the 10-22 doesn't exactly make a lot of heat or force on anything.

Take the action out of the stock and have a look at the crack from both sides. If you can push the crack closed, then just about any glue you put in the crack will work. Unless you are going to be leaving it in the rain, standard wood glue would be more than adequate.

Work the glue down into the crack using a paintbrush, toothpick, paper, pin, etc. pull it closed, clamp and let it sit 24-48 hours to cure. After 24-48 hours, unclamp and carefully scrape off any glue that ended up where you didn't want it.

The other problem you have is the missing chunk.

Don't try to fill it with glue or epoxy. You have two choices... Whittle a little piece of wood to fill the divot, glue, then shape, or use a wood filler like Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. Fill the missing chunk, let it dry and sand it back.

Either way, you will have to stain and seal the repair to make it match as well as you can. It won't match perfectly, but you can make it less obvious.

If after all this, it doesn't work for some reason, replacement stocks aren't that much. It looks from the pictures like it is one of the "white wood" stocks, not walnut. Those are easy to find.

Sorry for your loss. Good to know you have that rifle for the memories! I only have one son......and am glad to know he will inherit two things when I'm gone.....my fire arms and my heritage laker tip ups. The other stuff like bank accounts is just money he can use but those two things he can have for real memories. We've had so many good time in the field at the range and on the ice with that gear........good to know he will have all of it to use with his kids. Hope you can get that 10-22 fixed up.

Sorry for your loss.

Gorilla glue can be tricky if you get too much in there, it expands and is hard to remove. I've have had good success with a regular yellow wood glue for furniture. You could use a small brass screw or dowel to add strength. If there is wood missing, you could find someone who refinishes furniture and is trained at using shellac burn-in sticks (had some damage repaired on a cabinet and you cannot tell where it was gouged) to complete the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-d9btPTImI

Back
Top Bottom