Question on LTC application

My dad is filling out his LTC application. There's a question - "Have you ever held a license to carry in any other state, territory or jurisdiction?"
My dad was in Viet Nam and had a federal license to carry issued so he could carry his gun with him on the way home. He let it expire and then got an FID card in the 80's. That was one of the "No expiration" ones, which we know expired.
Question - how does he answer the LTC question? Technically it wasn't issued by a state or territory, it was a federal license. He isn't mentioning anywhere else that he was in the army (I read online that some COPs think it makes candidates less suitable).
Also, he was stationed in GA for basic training, does that mean he should say yes to the question about residing anywhere other than MA?
Thanks...

IANAL, but if I were filling this out I'd indicate "yes" that I was a resident in GA, etc. If he held a license to carry issued under federal jurisdiction while he was active, I would think that info might be discovered when they do the background check.

That's how I'd complete it. Someone please correct me if any of this sounds wrong.

iirc as far as military service goes, you remain a resident of the state you resided in unless you establish residency there. Did he get a GA drivers license ?
If not then he was a MA resident, who was in GA temporarily while in military service.

So the question asks if he ever had a license. He had a license while in the military. I don't think its a trick question.

My dad was in Viet Nam and had a federal license to carry issued so he could carry his gun with him on the way home.
There is no such thing as a "Federal License to Carry" (LEO, Diplomatic Passports and LEOSA credentials excepted). Invariably, anyone who tells you they had a Federal LTC either "doesn't have it any more", "left it home", or "didn't bother to renew it".

It is possible he had official orders authorizing him to carry the gun. Military orders to carry trump local law, but I am not sufficiently familiar with military protocol to know if they would be issued under the circumstances you describe.

There is no such thing as a "Federal License to Carry" (LEO, Diplomatic Passports and LEOSA credentials excepted). Invariably, anyone who tells you they had a Federal LTC either "doesn't have it any more", "left it home", or "didn't bother to renew it".

It is possible he had official orders authorizing him to carry the gun. Military orders to carry trump local law, but I am not sufficiently familiar with military protocol to know if they would be issued under the circumstances you describe.

Yeah, you said the same thing the last time I mentioned this.
Soounds like the elusive "federal carry permit" ... every person you met who tells you they had one of these will either have "left it home" or "let it lapse" :)

[STRIKE]Sorry[/STRIKE], I believe my dad. Perhaps my terminology is wrong, and it wasn't a "federal license to carry" and rather he had "official orders authorizing him to carry the gun". Sounds to me like it's the same thing, so I'll not split hairs and will continue to believe my father.

If "official orders" (which sounds plausible wrt how Mil works), then it isn't "reportable" as a license on the application. If you had a license and don't know the number, just put down what you do know and put "number unknown". It's the truth, not a lie, and it won't bite you/applicant in the process. It's mostly a test of "honesty" not a test of memory (most license #s change on every renewal, so we can't be expected to memorize them all over 20-30 years).

Back
Top Bottom