Question on gun work....

drew

NES Member
I saw on a thread not to long ago, about a company that has a way of doing away with the grip safety on the 1911. I dont know if they pin it, I don't know if they put a beefier beavertail in. Or if they take out the grip safety all together. If anybody has any information on this inquirery I would appreciate it....

Thanks,
~Drew

Sure I got some info for you:

Don't disable the grip safety on your 1911. [grin]

Sorry, I'm grumpy because I've been burning the candle at both ends lately.

I've never heard of a company that will do that. I would think that would be a liability if someone had an ND.

1911 grip safety

There are several ways to do this from a simple wrap of electrical tape around the grip, to pinning it in place, or simply grinding off the lower part of the leg so that it does not impede the trigger bow.

Then again, see 45Collector's post. [smile]

please excuse my 1911 noobness...but why would you want to?

it seems that its designed so you dont even notice when you release the safety?

I have seen one with a set screw tapped into it so it could be removed for carry and installed for tournaments etc.

please excuse my 1911 noobness...but why would you want to?

it seems that its designed so you dont even notice when you release the safety?

True! You should not notice. However you may not notice that you have NOT disengaged the safety depending on your grip.

There are those who feel that it is superfluous and there are times when you may not want it.
I understand that John Browning designed the pistol without one, but was forced to add it for government trials.
I was firmly against the idea of disabling the grip safety on any of my guns until one day at a match when I was unable to get the gun to go bang.
I have rather large hands and once I had acquired a nice high grip (which is essential to proper control) I found that I would engage even a grip safety with the “speed bump” on it.
I have a couple of 1911 pattern guns that are used solely in competition and the grip safeties on them take no more than a whisper to disengage. I would never suggest this modification for any carry gun.

Regardless, safety lies between the ears, not the hands! [wave]

ah, thanks for clearing up the why... my first thougt was, "dumbass"

but now knowing that it is for comp reasons, that makes sense (sort of)

I would see about a way to modify the safety to fit your grip style vs removing it all together.

but if not... do what works for you [wink]

I disable them, with my grip the grip safety is pushed up. The gun will not fire. I have seen others with high grip on SW1911 engage the grip saftey enough to drop the hammer but not enough to diengage the FP safety. For carry or competition, the grip saftey is a liability... you need know if you get a pooor grip the gun will fire

Last edited:
Fools and their money..........

It's Called "The Answer"
Novack did it. A one piece back-strap insert.
Reasoning that an external safety is enough.
Google "The Answer" by Wiley Clapp.
Here it is http://www.novaksights.com/what's_new.htm

I think Wayne was smart enough to realize that this was an "answer" looking for a problem. That's why his web site mentions this gadget being displayed for the first time at 2005 SHOT show and says "Look for more information in the near future." [thinking] And here we are four years later.

Again, if you don't want it to prevent the trigger from coming back, judiciously file the bottom of the leg.
(Or, wrap 2 cents worth of electrical tape around the grip. [wink]

Thank you for all the info... I do have a high grip, thats why I have a problem with the grip safety.... And you are right, safety is between the ears,not between the hands...

~Drew

Back
Top Bottom