Question for the police

With ammo rising how bad does that mess with a budget for a pd for training? I assume bigger places like boston or msp have set contracts for like 5 years with a set price but do smaller towns have that? Or do they pay marketish... i know pd's get a discount anyways. But did that go up?

Its 100% contractual.
If you can navigate this, its in there someplace - COMMBUYS
Actually a quick search on that site- COMMBUYS
Might also be on the o.s.d. index here- Buy from a Statewide Contract
I found it one day looking for a list of heavy equipment dealers.

It hasn’t effected the .gov or military at all. It was always a PITA getting ammo to train through. They have crates of it locked up, but are skinflints about issuing it out.

The military makes its own. WCVB Boston ran an AP story out of WA on ammo, gun sales and training courses. Matt

-snip-

The U.S. military is not affected by the shortage because the Army produces ammunition for all branches of the military at six sites across the country, according to Justine Barati, spokesperson for the U.S. Army Joint Munitions Command.

The U.S. shooting team, which won four medals at the Tokyo Olympics, also had the ammo needed to train thanks to a commitment from sponsors, but membership and junior programs have struggled, said Matt Suggs, chief executive officer for USA Shooting.

The U.S. Biathlon team, training for the 2022 Winter Olympics in February, also has been supplied with ammo from its sponsor, Lapua, made in Finland. But local clubs face shortages, said Max Cobb, president of U.S. Biathlon Association.

Jason Vanderbrink, a vice president at Vista Outdoor, which owns the Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington ammunition brands, said the companies are shipping ammo as fast as they can make it.

"I'm tired of reading the misinformation on the internet right now about us not trying to service the demand that we're experiencing," he said in a YouTube video produced for customers aimed at quashing speculation suggesting otherwise.

Yeah, what was up with the USPS buying up ammo back then too?

all these federal agencies have their own inspection divisions which are armed agents.

The military makes its own. WCVB Boston ran an AP story out of WA on ammo, gun sales and training courses. Matt

-snip-

The U.S. military is not affected by the shortage because the Army produces ammunition for all branches of the military at six sites across the country, according to Justine Barati, spokesperson for the U.S. Army Joint Munitions Command.

The U.S. shooting team, which won four medals at the Tokyo Olympics, also had the ammo needed to train thanks to a commitment from sponsors, but membership and junior programs have struggled, said Matt Suggs, chief executive officer for USA Shooting.

The U.S. Biathlon team, training for the 2022 Winter Olympics in February, also has been supplied with ammo from its sponsor, Lapua, made in Finland. But local clubs face shortages, said Max Cobb, president of U.S. Biathlon Association.

Jason Vanderbrink, a vice president at Vista Outdoor, which owns the Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington ammunition brands, said the companies are shipping ammo as fast as they can make it.

"I'm tired of reading the misinformation on the internet right now about us not trying to service the demand that we're experiencing," he said in a YouTube video produced for customers aimed at quashing speculation suggesting otherwise.
I thought they just had contracts and part of the language was they had to be fulfilled first?

Didn't lake city get all pissy about that last shortage because they were losing money on the contract when powder went up

I thought they just had contracts and part of the language was they had to be fulfilled first?

Didn't lake city get all pissy about that last shortage because they were losing money on the contract when powder went up

Lake City is actually owned by the .mil, as far as i know.

Organizationally, the LCAAP is government owned, but contractor operated by Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems, formerly Orbital ATK. While the name “Lake City” is known in the shooting and reloading realms, there is a great deal more to the facility than most people know.

Last edited:
Lake City is actually owned by the .mil, as far as i know.

Organizationally, the LCAAP is government owned, but contractor operated by Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems, formerly Orbital ATK. While the name “Lake City” is known in the shooting and reloading realms, there is a great deal more to the facility than most people know.
Learn something new every day... did they get sold then?

I don't believe they train very much. Also I wonder how many steps of the profit tree they get to skip? When we buy ammo, the manufacturer gets a cut, the distributor gets a cut, and then the retail store gets a cut.

I could be mistaken here, but I thought gov agencies buy directly from manufacturers....and I believe it is the distributors doing most of the price F*cking

Pretty much all small towns do the mutual aid thing. I doubt it includes financial support or anything outside of boots on the ground or coverage for lack of staff though
In some small towns citizen's donate Ammo to their local Police. I've donated Ammo to my N.H. residence Police Dept. 1,000 rds. 9mm for Christmas back in 2017. I offered in 2019 but they said they were all set. I'll ask again this year, I bet they say yes.

Question for the police...​

My TOP 5 "Questions for the Police" would be...

1) Why do you you "seize" fireworks from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
2) Why do you you "seize" switchblade knives from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
3) Why do you you "seize" brass knuckles from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
4) Why do you you "seize" marijuana from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
5) Can I have my fireworks, switchblade, brass knuckles and pot back now...???

In some small towns citizen's donate Ammo to their local Police. I've donated Ammo to my N.H. residence Police Dept. 1,000 rds. 9mm for Christmas back in 2017. I offered in 2019 but they said they were all set. I'll ask again this year, I bet they say yes.
Quaint. But I would never donate bullets to a PD. Because someday they could use them on us or me.

As far as I know Lake city is owned by the .mil but operated by ATK/Federal under contract.

-snip-

Unless the military owns Lake City. It’s all I’ve ever seen when I was in. 5.56 anyway, not sure about the 9mm

Quaint. But I would never donate bullets to a PD. Because someday they could use them on us or me.
I would never donate anything to my PD down here in the Communistwealth. It's funny, I just got a text from the Chief up there, in America. He sent me the first game cam pic's of the season. He hunts on my land and sends me all the pic's. I asked him about Ammo he said he's still good on 9mm but they could use some 223. In a town of 750 people, this guy drives up my driveway (1,300' off the road) at least once a day to check things out and calls me if anything seems amiss. I always see him on my cameras.

1627928175797.png

1627929254969.png

1627929304665.png

1627931293780.png

Last edited:
I don't believe they train very much. Also I wonder how many steps of the profit tree they get to skip? When we buy ammo, the manufacturer gets a cut, the distributor gets a cut, and then the retail store gets a cut.

I could be mistaken here, but I thought gov agencies buy directly from manufacturers....and I believe it is the distributors doing most of the price F*cking
Still price for powder and primers went up for them too. So they didn't get the shaft like retail but it went up

I recently asked a friend who is a Boston suburb police officer the same thing. Straight through the pandemic he said his armorer had ammo available. Didn't care price or really what it was so at the time if frangible ammo was all that was available to them even at a considerably higher cost, that what they ordered and that what they (those few that chose to) shot.

As many have mentioned it sounds like very few train or shoot at all. Said 10% of the 40-50 cops in the town shoot with any regularity and it was basically all the guys who were also SWAT were the ones doing the extracurricular training.

With ammo rising how bad does that mess with a budget for a pd for training?
Concerned your tax dollars aren't working hard enough?

i know pd's get a discount anyways.
Federal procurement laws have demanded lowest price for some kinds of services.
And of course they're the biggest gorilla in the room when it comes to negotiating.

But I can't imagine an ammo manufacturer leaving any money on the table
when setting prices for state/local jurisdictions.

A friend on a dept ... said 2 guys shoot for practice, the rest of the dept dont shoot unless a mandatory training is happening.
Lock up your dogs
Holding out for the day when the newbs' lack of street smarts
("your lap dog behind that chain link fence was coming straight for us")
dovetails with their lack of training,
and they can no longer hit the broad side of a dachshund...

Concerned your tax dollars aren't working hard enough?

Federal procurement laws have demanded lowest price for some kinds of services.
And of course they're the biggest gorilla in the room when it comes to negotiating.

But I can't imagine an ammo manufacturer leaving any money on the table
when setting prices for state/local jurisdictions.

Holding out for the day when the newbs' lack of street smarts
("your lap dog behind that chain link fence was coming straight for us")
dovetails with their lack of training,
and they can no longer hit the broad side of a dachshund...
Idk i bet speer or gold dot leaves money there so they can say x agency uses us... for us normies to lap up lol

Idk i bet speer or gold dot leaves money there so they can say x agency uses us... for us normies to lap up lol
My carry ammo is so monochrome...
3229.jpg

...that the packaging makes Winchester White Box look like a Gay Pride flag.

My carry ammo is so monochrome that it's only sold in the Generic Aisle.
chips.jpg

Leaves more Super Ammo for discriminating operators to lap up.

In another forum people were talking about their departments or agencies and how things have changed during COVID.

some went from 2-3 quals a year down to 1. Some had to use their duty ammo at those quals and get replenished after. That has changed for several places and now shoot ball ammo or not at all.

Budgets were cut back and that included ammo. Instead of bulk buying some places skimped and are now running low due to mandatory training. Almost all seem to get better pricing and preferred availability vs us peasants but it’s still expensive or hard to get.

A lot have essentially stopped training or put it to an absolute minimum standard.

This is not my info, just what I’ve read elsewhere from officers around the country on the local, state and letter agencies.

I think we’re all hoping for ammo to come down in cost.

Saying the PDs have a budget problem is BS. Every department I know is looking for ways to spend Covid money. There is a pile of unspent Covid money out there.

My dept was hurting for 300 blackout for our patrol rifles for quals last year. They were calling all over to get what they could. They were also conserving on what they gave us for pistol quals and having us hold onto our previous duty ammo (45 ACP/G21's) to reload for carry after quals were done. I'd say my dept is small to medium size if it matters. Still waiting to hear when we are gonna shoot next...... (I practice on my own but run 9mm in a G17 and carry a G45 off duty).

Last edited:
I just ordered a pile of ammo, and had minor issues getting 147gr, so I think we got some 135 or something. Either way, I don't care... its their problem now 🤣

My dept was hurting for 300 blackout for our patrol rifles for quals last year. They were calling all over to get what they could. They were also conserving on what they gave us for pistol quals and having us hold onto our previous duty ammo (45 ACP/G21's) to reload for carry after quals were done. I'd say my dept is small to medium size if it matters. Still waiting to hear when we are gonna shoot next...... (I practice on my own but run 9mm in a G17 and carry a G45 off duty).

Sounds like a recipe for disaster with 300 bo.. Unless ALL the rifles are chambered the same.

My TOP 5 "Questions for the Police" would be...

1) Why do you you "seize" fireworks from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
2) Why do you you "seize" switchblade knives from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
3) Why do you you "seize" brass knuckles from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
4) Why do you you "seize" marijuana from teenagers, and then tell them to be "on their way"...?
5) Can I have my fireworks, switchblade, brass knuckles and pot back now...???
Would you rather the teenagers be arrested?

Did this turn into an 'out yourself' thread? Or maybe a 'Boomer' thread?

Well, if they were arrested the cops wouldn't have free pot, fireworks and brass knuckles.

C'mon man !!
ROFL, what would change? Asking for a friend.

There's an old joke about the million dollars found in a bag. The 500k was processed into evidence. The 250k was presented to the 'someone'.....it continues down to $0.

Was your department able to source enough targets with the Dog Silhouette?

Back
Top Bottom