Question and observations on the M44

Understood. I at first just found it hard to believe that such a rugged rifle made by such rugged people would need special treatment. But I love my M44 so much, I guesss I'd click my heels together 3 times after shooting it if that's what it took to keep it pretty. You folks have filled me in on proper care and the history I was so curious about, and I'm appreciative. glad the soviets did go overboard with production and end up with stockpiles. Otherwise, I could have never added this piece of history to my collection for a paltry $130.

Corrosive ammo cleanup is the same no matter which country made the rifle or the ammo. Springfields, Enfields, Mausers, all the same. Steel corrodes just the same.

I suggest using excessive amounts of windex. I just took my Mosins out for the first time since the car shoot a month or so back and found corrosion in almost all the bores (especially the M39). Fortunately, they cleaned up so that there wasn't anything crippling in the bore, but I won't be skimping on the windex anymore.

Hoppes is the best choice after using windex as it is formulated for corrosive ammo and contains ammonia. Modern solvents will not do it.

remember even in the 1980's the US army was still having us clean the rifles 3 times after live fire a day or so apart. I think it was a carry over from corrosive ammo days. (institutional memory being what it is) also remember the cleaners they had available then,
more often than not they used hot soapy water. (the other method of cleaning corrosive salts.)

Back
Top Bottom