• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about painting and priming Steel targets

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
Just got my first steel targets and need to prime and paint.

Do I do the backs as well as the fronts to keep rust from forming? Or is the primer there just to help the paint adhere to the front?

Dave

Primer is used to help paint adhere to the material, will not usually stop rust. Paint both sides. and paint them when ever you are done shooting at them if you can.

I wanted to say powdercoat them, but they will be so badly beat up that you don't need to worry about cosmetics. Just use that cheap orange mark paint and you'll be fine.

15458726874041283370876.jpg this is what I use.
Cheap
White
Whatever is on sale at the hardware store. I shoot into a mulch burm so white contrasts nicely for me. I have a couple of spinning targets my dad made of 1/4" steel when I was a kid. That was 40 years ago and the only paint they get is just before I shoot at them. Most of my swingers get all shot up long before they can rust away.

Buy the cheapest white paint you can find.......its a target!

Why piss away $6.00 + a can for Rustoleum primer or paint when you can accomplish the same thing for $1.00.

image.jpeg Usually found on sale at Wallyworld for 1-2 dollars a can.

I don’t bother with primer, and I don’t know that I ever bothered painting the back.

You’ll be repainting the strike face often enough that you really don’t have to worry about it. No primer, cheap paint in whatever color you want.

Just got my first steel targets and need to prime and paint.

Do I do the backs as well as the fronts to keep rust from forming? Or is the primer there just to help the paint adhere to the front?

Dave
Don't bother with primer......don't worry about rust.......you can spend a the time and money you want on good paint but you going to shoot all the paint off before you leave the range the first time you use them. I paint mine 2-3 times while I'm actually at the range using them. If you want your bright orange or green paint to stand out better just hit em with a little white paint first before applying the brighter color. When your done blasting all the paint off with boolits just toss em in the truck and paint em when you get to the range the next time. Buy the cheapest paint you can find.

If you really want to fight rust
Clean then really well rinse and let a skim coat of petina/rust form
Or you could blue them or rust blue them or heck you can even parkerize them.
Then paint with POR15 then Rino coat them .....then paint them.
Or just buy some cheap paint and splash them.

If you go down this path you won’t want to shoot the steel cause it will ruin the paint job!
That said I use a spray on rust prohibitor.
Currently that’s CRC rust inhibitor . I use what ever is on the shelf when I need to replace a can.
Also good old Johnson paste wax does a great job

Last edited:
All I ever use is cheap primer and I usually put a few red dots to aim at. When I'm done I put them back in the milk crate and throw them in the garage til the next trip.

I second the POR15 that stuff is amazing at standing up to rust and whatever you can throw at it. The stuff is so protective you have to paint it while its still kind of tacky wet as when dry paint won't stick to it.

I use whatever open spray paint can I have in the garage. if I need to buy more, I get the cheapest stuff in the store. Cover both sides if you want, but dont over think it.

I second the POR15 that stuff is amazing at standing up to rust and whatever you can throw at it. The stuff is so protective you have to paint it while its still kind of tacky wet as when dry paint won't stick to it.
Not worth the effort.
POR is good and it works well. Although a bit costly for shooting steel

Back
Top Bottom