Question about Maine Carry Laws

I just received an application packet for a non-resident Maine carry license. The law booklet included states that the license is shall-issue. Does this also apply to non-residents? I'd hate to have an application denied for some reason.
I believe that I fulfill all the requirements. I have a Mass. LTC ALP license, as well as a NH non-resident permit.
JT

I think it does. I had no problem getting a Maine LTC. As you note, it's a Shall Issue state, unlike Mass. A friend of mine from Maine works in Boston and travels at odd hours. He asked the MSP about getting a NR permit in MA and they pretty much told him to forget about it.

Maine is pretty easy, and was pretty fast.

Gary

Garys said:
A friend of mine from Maine works in Boston and travels at odd hours. He asked the MSP about getting a NR permit in MA and they pretty much told him to forget about it.
Gary

Huh?

Don't know who your friend called, but the person obviously knows nothing and is an anti-gun'r!

NR MA LTCs are issued all the time, applicants ONLY have to meet the law, no other BS like Residents have to put up with (351 sets of "additional requirements"). From all the information that I've seen, NRs were issued as if MA was "shall issue" and only one class of LTC . . . if you met the legal requirements they were issuing ONLY LTC-A/ALP! Could it have changed? Yes, but that is the latest info that I've seen.

MSP no longer issues NR LTCs, FRB does. See the info to get the NR LTC here (Q&A 2) http://www.mass.gov/chsb/frb/frb_faqs.html

He will have to find a MSP Certified instructor and pay $100/yr for the privilege, but other than that he shouldn't have any problems.

jacobtowne said:
I just received an application packet for a non-resident Maine carry license. The law booklet included states that the license is shall-issue. Does this also apply to non-residents? I'd hate to have an application denied for some reason.
I believe that I fulfill all the requirements. I have a Mass. LTC ALP license, as well as a NH non-resident permit.
JT

Hi,
How do I request an application packet?
web site? phone call?
I also hold a NH NR, MA LTC-A.
thanks.

I appreciate Len's comments. The MSP does not nor has in recent memory issued non-resident firearms licenses. I used to hold a non-resident LTC from 1985 to 1993 (I had to renew every two years and that is still the policty) when I was stationed here but was a legal resident of California (yeah, I admit it was a tax dodge so I wouldn't have to pay Mass Income Tax or Auto Excise Tax, no state income tax for CA residents stationed outside of CA). I used to go to 1010 Commonweath Ave in Boston to nenew my license. At that time it was the old Department of Public Safety Building and served as Mass State Police General Headquarters as well.

Now this is where people get confused: The law states that the Colonel of State Police is responsible for issuing non-resident licenses, but the Colonel has delegated this to the Firearms Records Bureau (part of the CHSB) in Chelsea. Technically, the MSP could issue a resident LTC as well, but in practice will not. All sworn members of the MSP are issued their Class A ALP LTC's by the MSP, MSP retirees can also get their LTCs renewed through the department. MSP sworn personnel do not "carry on the badge" and must have a LTC ALP to work. MSP civilians, such as those who work in the Crime Lab who handle or transport firearms as part of their official duties are frequently also licensed by the department. The rest of us who work for the department as "Foxtrot Charlies" (I am sure you can figure out what "FC" means, a term used not infrequently by our French and Electric Blue sworn colleagues when referring to their non-sworn brothers and sisters, the 450 or so of us who also work for the department) are left to the tender mercies of our hometown departments and get whatever our chiefs decide. Just because one works for the MSP is no automatic guarantee that one will get an ALP from the local gendarmes. There are a lot of towns where the MSP is not liked (there are many towns where they are liked) and then there is always that chief or two, who aspired to become a member of the MSP but didn't make it through the selection process (probably because they didn't have a relative on the MSP Job or the juice otherwise).

A frequent scenario: A citizen will go to the H2 barracks in front of GHQ on Rte 9 in Framingham and asked to get a LTC, not knowing, of course that they are at another MSP barracks, the desk officer will plead ignorance and send them back to their hometown depertments, GHQ is the large building behind the barracks about 150 yards, or they will make it to GHQ and ask one of the receptionists who will tell them that they must go to their own town department. Now this ain't the law, people, but it is MSP policy.

In the context of my experience (7 1/2 years as a civilian employe) it is best to NEVER ask the MSP about licensing requirements in our great commonwealth. For the most part they don't know, and for many their weapon is nothing but another tool like a flashlight or pen.

BTW, I get along pretty well with most of our sworn people and some them are really great folks who are into guns and support the right to keep and bear arms...but it is like one of them told me once "You are like us, you aren't really a civilian because you served twenty years in the Army." What does that say about attitudes towards the public in the context of the corporate culture?

One other thing about the non-resident LTC, you might want to check out. The folks in Chelsea used to issue ALP as almost a matter or course, now I understand that since 2003 you have to justify the reason for an ALP. Your friend might want to check that out, but he should have no problems getting a non-res LTC if he has a clean record.

Well anyway, best wishes to all,

Mark

Well, here it is Dec. 28th, and no licence, even though packing.org says they are supposed to issue or deny within 60 days. We'll keep waiting.
JT

jacobtowne said:
Well, here it is Dec. 28th, and no licence, even though packing.org says they are supposed to issue or deny within 60 days. We'll keep waiting.
JT

Don't feel bad. I applied before you did and I haven't seen mine yet. Although someone up there made a mistake and sent me out the resident cover letter with the resident price, so they returned it about a month later with the check and a letter explaining the issue. I sent it back out again, and still haven't heard back yet...

Adam

Boy, what a difference from NH. A year ago I mailed the one-page application to NH, and received my permit ten days later, and that included post time both ways!.
JT

Boy, what a difference from NH. A year ago I mailed the one-page application to NH, and received my permit ten days later, and that included post time both ways!.
JT

JT

Also, I just sent away the application for FL LTC.....I'll let you guys know how long it takes for FL.

Also, I just sent away the application for FL LTC.....I'll let you guys know how long it takes for FL.

NH only issues Non-Resident permits, IF you're permitted in your home state.

They have an alternative for VT, since we're not required CCW Permits. I had to get a letter from my County Sheriff stating that I was legal to own/carry a firearm, and a sound citizen. He balked, initially, since he doesn't really know me, but, I brought him around to add "to the best of my knowledge" to his statements.

IF you're from one of the 4 states that don't allow carry, I think you're screwed in NH.

They have an alternative for VT, since we're not required CCW Permits. I had to get a letter from my County Sheriff stating that I was legal to own/carry a firearm, and a sound citizen. He balked, initially, since he doesn't really know me, but, I brought him around to add "to the best of my knowledge" to his statements.

IF you're from one of the 4 states that don't allow carry, I think you're screwed in NH.

"IF you're from one of the 4 states that don't allow carry, I think you're screwed in NH."

Yup. Screwed in your own state as well.
And they're all in the heartland, the so-called red state region.
JT

"IF you're from one of the 4 states that don't allow carry, I think you're screwed in NH."

Yup. Screwed in your own state as well.
And they're all in the heartland, the so-called red state region.
JT

Back
Top Bottom