• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about legality of a handgun brought in out of state.

So, you're legally licensed in your state of residence, you're moving to CT and you have a firearm you'd like to bring with you.
If that's correct, then I offer the following:

1) Your premier source for firearms info is the SLFU, (state licensing and firearms unit);
Link: Firearms

2) CT has a couple different types of licenses; essentially ammo permit, longarms permit and pistol permit.
Ammo permit lets you buy ammo.
Longarms permit lets you buy ammo and buy longarms.
Pistol permit lets you buy ammo, longarms, pistols and lets you carry permit, (open or concealed).

3) You don't need a license to posses the firearm; with the caveat that you're on your own property, and there's a carve out for hunting with longarms too.

4) Non-resident permits are issued by SLFU, they have same ground rules as resident permits.

5) Certain firearms and types of firearms are illegal to posses in CT as well as "high capacity" magazines. <spit>.
There are exceptions to these laws for those grandfathered in and for the special people.

6) It is illegal in CT for "prohibited" people to have firearms. See link previously posted.

So - if you're not a prohibited person, and the firearm you want to bring to CT isn't prohibited by CT law, you can bring it to CT. If you do not have a weapons permit and it's a handgun, you can't carry it. I don't know what what happen if you tried to sell it, because sales have to be authorized by the SLFU. If you do sell it, your best bet is to go through an FFL, but you'll lose money compared to a private sale.

Last, but not least - you can transport your firearm from your state of residence to CT under FOPA; and a key component of FOPA is that you must be legal in both origin and destination states. So, make sure you're legal in CT before relying upon FOPA.

I *think* you're legal; but I'm going on what you said - and - I'm a code monkey, not an attorney. You get your ass in a crack, I'm sitting on the sidelines watching - not the one getting hurt. Always verify what you read on the internet when it's your ass on the line.
I do everything legal when it comes to guns. I am not expecting any issues with obtaining CC in CT.

Bring gun, don't use it at all until you get a permit for it. That's what I would do. If you are coming from Texas then the attitude to firearms is much different.

Bring gun, don't use it at all until you get a permit for it. That's what I would do. If you are coming from Texas then the attitude to firearms is much different.
got it. for some reason I thought that even owning a handgun is illegal in CT and some other blue states without a permit and each handgun have to be registered with the state of residence somehow. . so I can even carry it when I have CC? wow. I was going to sell it in TX.

got it. for some reason I thought that even owning a handgun is illegal in CT and some other blue states without a permit and each handgun have to be registered with the state of residence somehow. . so I can even carry it when I have CC? wow. I was going to sell it in TX.

As I said previously, you'll need permit to carry it, but ownership isn't an issue - as long as you're not prohibited and as long as the firearm isn't prohibited.

CT doesn't require registration of owned guns; it registers them as you buy them.

Getting a permit is a PITA as it is a slow and cumbersome process but Connecticut is pretty much shall issue.

Their AWB and magazine limits are pretty stringent and encompassing so make sure you understand them.

Also make sure that you know where you can and can’t carry.

Bob

Oh yeah, and welcome to New England and NES.
Most of us plan on leaving here and moving TO Texas. But I figure it's probably for a pretty good job.

You can bring your Sig but should read up on magazine laws.

It most likely is illegal to own one without a permit.

Another one..... you such a sport Jason. I would like to hear from someone who actually knows or have been in such situation, not interested in spewed comments, such information should be available without a lawyer consultation, many people move with guns, so please if you have No answer to my question and have nothing constructive to add, go ruin another thread.

Dude. Calm down.

Whether you realize it or not, this forum is PACKED lately with nervous Nellies (oooh! Sorry; didn't mean to "assume your gender..." nervous Nelsons, I guess) who come on here DEMANDING detailed, chapter-and-verse, logical answers to arcane legal questions that, despite your assumption, nobody on this forum may have ever dealt with before.

When we reply with, "Call a lawyer," it's not a brush-off. It's a response from those of us who've been here awhile and who have seen COUNTLESS new posters who refuse to accept the replies we give.

Bottom line: we're trying to help whether you believe it or not. These laws you're asking about are intentionally and deliberately opaque because these are gun-unfriendly states, and neither you nor anyone else is supposed to be able to make heads or tails of them. It's also VERY likely that the laws you're asking about have never been litigated, meaning... those logical answers you seek might literally not exist. And yet you get defensive because you don't like the tone of the replies?

Seriously... if you're really that nervous, you truly do need to call a lawyer. Most of us on this forum simply aren't that nervous. YMMV.

It most likely is illegal to own one without a permit.

That's not correct.

You can't purchase in CT without a permit, and you can't carry off your own property without a permit - but it's not illegal to own. Unless it's a prohibited firearm such as an "assault weapon".

Oh yeah, and welcome to New England and NES.
Most of us plan on leaving here and moving TO Texas. But I figure it's probably for a pretty good job.

You can bring your Sig but should read up on magazine laws.
my Sig got 7 rounds mags.

That's not correct.

You can't purchase in CT without a permit, and you can't carry off your own property without a permit - but it's not illegal to own. Unless it's a prohibited firearm such as an "assault weapon".
I was not aware of that. Good to know.

Dude. Calm down.

Whether you realize it or not, this forum is PACKED lately with nervous Nellies (oooh! Sorry; didn't mean to "assume your gender..." nervous Nelsons, I guess) who come on here DEMANDING detailed, chapter-and-verse, logical answers to arcane legal questions that, despite your assumption, nobody on this forum may have ever dealt with before.

When we reply with, "Call a lawyer," it's not a brush-off. It's a response from those of us who've been here awhile and who have seen COUNTLESS new posters who refuse to accept the replies we give.

Bottom line: we're trying to help whether you believe it or not. These laws you're asking about are intentionally and deliberately opaque because these are gun-unfriendly states, and neither you nor anyone else is supposed to be able to make heads or tails of them. It's also VERY likely that the laws you're asking about have never been litigated, meaning... those logical answers you seek might literally not exist. And yet you get defensive because you don't like the tone of the replies?

Seriously... if you're really that nervous, you truly do need to call a lawyer. Most of us on this forum simply aren't that nervous. YMMV.
Thanks for explaining, but I kinda got the idea that folks who been here for a minute are the ones who don't want to really help and rather drop senseless comments just because they're bored and they don't want to waste their precious time helping new members. I was kind hoping to avoid these type of people and responses. I also get that all the answers on this forum or any other really are questionable, to me thats a no brainier, I find it funny that you even have to explain this to me, but it's fine.

I have owned guns for over 15 years and very familiar with my state laws, CT laws on the other hand not so much, I also never moved with a gun, so that's something new to me.

I can't say that I am nervous, I just want to move and take my Sig with me in a legal way. I am not concerned with keeping Sig locked and stacked away for 6 months, I just want to make sure that once I have my CC permit I could carry it or sell it if I chose to.

Thanks for explaining, but I kinda got the idea that folks who been here for a minute are the ones who don't want to really help and rather drop senseless comments just because they're bored and they don't want to waste their precious time helping new members. I was kind hoping to avoid these type of people and responses. I also get that all the answers on this forum or any other really are questionable, to me thats a no brainier, I find it funny that you even have to explain this to me, but it's fine.

I have owned guns for over 15 years and very familiar with my state laws, CT laws on the other hand not so much, I also never moved with a gun, so that's something new to me.

I can't say that I am nervous, I just want to move and take my Sig with me in a legal way. I am not concerned with keeping Sig locked and stacked away for 6 months, I just want to make sure that once I have my CC permit I could carry it or sell it if I chose to.

But my point is that it's likely (though I don't know because I don't live in CT) that NOBODY here is familiar with the way CT law demands that you deal with your particular situation. It's even possible, because lawmakers are idiots, that there's no reasonable way to do what you want to do and be fully within the law, at least not until a court weighs in and sharpens the law. Legislators do that all the time, writing laws and then assuming the courts will straighten it all out later.

I'd be surprised if this statute has ever been prosecuted, which ought to tell you something about how worried you should be.

Then you are good to go!
So is it a 938? Or a 238? The reason I ask is that ammo is pretty scarce up here. 9mm is tough but 380 is ridiculous. You may want to try and grab some before you move.
It.380 Auto, P238. I am in love with this lil guy it fits me like a glove. Wow so .380auto is difficult to find?

But my point is that it's likely (though I don't know because I don't live in CT) that NOBODY here is familiar with the way CT law demands that you deal with your particular situation. It's even possible, because lawmakers are idiots, that there's no reasonable way to do what you want to do and be fully within the law, at least not until a court weighs in and sharpens the law. Legislators do that all the time, writing laws and then assuming the courts will straighten it all out later.

I'd be surprised if this statute has ever been prosecuted, which ought to tell you something about how worried you should be.
This forum is not the only source available, I be sure to check with a few others. But, I get your point, I hope to find folks who been in exact same situation.

It.380 Auto, P238. I am in love with this lil guy it fits me like a glove. Wow so .380auto is difficult to find?

Good choice! Try a 938. I carried a 238 for years, but the 938 is just as comfortable and controllable for me, with Hogues. And 9mm might be more readily available than .380, strangely.

ETA: I reload, too, but .380's a really hard case for me to deal with when reloading. Much harder than 9x19, for some reason.

Last edited:
Yeah, 380 and 38 special are hard to find. Hell everything is hard to find. But I was told that 380 and 38 special are produced on the same machines as 9mm and because 9mm is the most popular caliber, they don't often switch over.

If he's not a prohibited person, and the firearm isn't prohibited - (which isn't since he's declared that it's a P238); then he can bring that firearm from Texas to Connecticut and posses it legally in Connecticut. He can't carry it in Connecticut without a Connecticut issued permit - but he most certainly can posses it - and he doesn't have to "register" it in any way, shape or form in Connecticut.

This isn't a grey area.

If he's not a prohibited person, and the firearm isn't prohibited - (which isn't since he's declared that it's a P238); then he can bring that firearm from Texas to Connecticut and posses it legally in Connecticut. He can't carry it in Connecticut without a Connecticut issued permit - but he most certainly can posses it - and he doesn't have to "register" it in any way, shape or form in Connecticut.

This isn't a grey area.

My comments were a little more general anyway. I know bupkes about CT law.

Good enough for me. Let's see if it's good enough for the OP.

Great, thanks. How about selling it ? With CC can I sell it to anyone?

Connecticut requires an authorization from the SLFU to transfer any firearm.
Regardless of whether it's private sale or FFL.

I know that they won't issue auth code for you to purchase in CT without at least a longarms permit.
I know that you can't purchase a handgun in CT unless CT is your state of residence, (that's federal law).

I do not know if the SLFU will authorize you to sell a firearm in CT without you having a permit.
It seems that they would - but - I just don't know.

If you obtain a CT non-resident permit, then the SLFU will authorize purchase/sale against that permit.

CT does not have a "CC"; CT is open carry state - although not practiced widely.

Ok. I read the OP's problem and here we go.

1) there is NO law in CT that requires you to have any licenses to possess any firearms. So if you move to CT from TX, you can just keep your handguns at home until you get your CT PP.
2) no license or permit is required to do anything with a long gun in CT. Your long guns can be transported, used, carried, just as you could if you had PP or LGC.

There are 2 things to be aware of with respect to bringing your handguns to CT.
1) handguns can be assault weapons in CT. There are a number of ways this can happen. But if you have a normal handgun like a 1911 or Glock, the only way it can become an AW is if you have a threaded barrel on it. So no threaded barrels.
2) there is no grandfathering of standard capacity magazines. Its 10 rounds or less.
3) You are not required to tell the state about the guns you move here with. If you want to sell one of the guns in CT, you would just follow the normal process.
a. if going through a dealer. Just do what they tell you.
b. If doing a private transfer, call the DESPP, get an approval number and do a DPS-3 and DPS67 and follow the instructions on the forms.

Like Allen-1 , I'm not sure if they will give you an authorization number if you do not have a CT PP(pistol permit) and are trying to sell a gun to someone in state. There is no harm in trying. You aren't doing anything illegal. Remember, its 100% perfectly legal for you to possess these firarms without a PP.

Worst case, you may have to go to a dealer who will transfer the gun in from you and then out to the buyer.

Back
Top Bottom