Question about Air National Guard and Disqualifiers

So I have had the thought to join the Air National Guard a little later than most do (I think). I am 27 years old and out of shape but working on that. I am tossing around the idea of joining the Air National Guard and wondering if I am even eligible due to a couple of items in regards to my health.

First off are the National Guard disqualifiers the same as full time Air Force or are they more lenient? I ask because I do have a history of migraines that are now controlled but can occasionally change my plans for the day. Also I exhibit all the symptoms of sleep apnea (awaiting results from sleep study to see what they say about it) which I noticed is a DQ for full time service but cant find any DQ list on the national guard site. I am thinking they use the same criteria though.

Thought you guys would know best without getting a recruiter hounding me haha. Just trying to figure out if this will be an option for me or not in the future.

When I joined the Marines there was a kid that looked like Captain America scored great on his ASVAB and already had a college degree and they flunked him for a strange mole on his back they told him "may or may not be anything at all"

All of this is really good to know.

When I joined the Marines there was a kid that looked like Captain America scored great on his ASVAB and already had a college degree and they flunked him for a strange mole on his back they told him "may or may not be anything at all"

Yeah I had one of those moles on my back and when I was about 12 or 13 the doctor had it removed with the same reasoning... "It may or may not be something". I don't see why they didn't just delay him, have it removed and then when the scar heals continue on his journey in the armed forces.

All of this is really good to know.

Yeah I had one of those moles on my back and when I was about 12 or 13 the doctor had it removed with the same reasoning... "It may or may not be something". I don't see why they didn't just delay him, have it removed and then when the scar heals continue on his journey in the armed forces.

Because it's not that simple. That's why I don't typically answer questions like this on the forum. Everything is complicated, and many of the questions I'll ask require straight answers. Many of those answers people might not feel comfortable discussing publicly.

Take the mole, for instance. It seems stupid and innocent. It's not.

You go to MEPS and have a strange mole. One Dr may let it slide and another may not. If not, you can go have it removed and biopsied. Then you'll have to wait for healing time to go back. The wait time could be 6 months to a year. After the wait time, you have to go back to your private Dr and have it checked again. Then your recruiter has to submit all the medical documents from the removal, biopsy, and follow up to the CMO. The CMO either says "great", or "nope". Something as simple as the way your Dr does the write up could cause a "no". If that's the reason, then you go BACK to your Dr, have it done again, and hope this is enough.

Sometimes it's a flat "no" based on the condition. Then you have to request a waiver from the accessing organization. That can take a month. It still may result in a "no".

Now let's take your case. You had a mole removed already. Was it biopsied? What were the results? Have you had a follow up with the dermatologist? What's the scar look like?

When you disclose this to your recruiter, he'll send you to get all the medical documents, then he'll submit them to the CMO for review. This is before you even step through the MEPS door. If the answer to any of my questions is "no", then one of several things will happen: You'll be PDQ. You'll be told to go see your Dr for a follow up evaluation. You'll be told to come in for a physical.

This is where the difference between an experienced recruiter and a new guy come into play. There are ways to increase your chances of success, or avoid a long process at all. Many recruiters don't even know how to do this stuff. Others are just doing their time and put cases that are time intensive on the back burner.

So, that's why I rarely answer questions on an open forum. It's also why I get ticked when people give bad advice. Saying the wrong thing can stop any chance you have of EVER being in the service.

Because it's not that simple. That's why I don't typically answer questions like this on the forum. Everything is complicated, and many of the questions I'll ask require straight answers. Many of those answers people might not feel comfortable discussing publicly.

Take the mole, for instance. It seems stupid and innocent. It's not.

You go to MEPS and have a strange mole. One Dr may let it slide and another may not. If not, you can go have it removed and biopsied. Then you'll have to wait for healing time to go back. The wait time could be 6 months to a year. After the wait time, you have to go back to your private Dr and have it checked again. Then your recruiter has to submit all the medical documents from the removal, biopsy, and follow up to the CMO. The CMO either says "great", or "nope". Something as simple as the way your Dr does the write up could cause a "no". If that's the reason, then you go BACK to your Dr, have it done again, and hope this is enough.

Sometimes it's a flat "no" based on the condition. Then you have to request a waiver from the accessing organization. That can take a month. It still may result in a "no".

Now let's take your case. You had a mole removed already. Was it biopsied? What were the results? Have you had a follow up with the dermatologist? What's the scar look like?

When you disclose this to your recruiter, he'll send you to get all the medical documents, then he'll submit them to the CMO for review. This is before you even step through the MEPS door. If the answer to any of my questions is "no", then one of several things will happen: You'll be PDQ. You'll be told to go see your Dr for a follow up evaluation. You'll be told to come in for a physical.

This is where the difference between an experienced recruiter and a new guy come into play. There are ways to increase your chances of success, or avoid a long process at all. Many recruiters don't even know how to do this stuff. Others are just doing their time and put cases that are time intensive on the back burner.

So, that's why I rarely answer questions on an open forum. It's also why I get ticked when people give bad advice. Saying the wrong thing can stop any chance you have of EVER being in the service.

This is a good example of showing how complicated it can be... Thank you very much for taking the time and writing it up. I forgot to PM you but will be doing that to see what else I may not be considering or overlooking in a process like this.

If you exibit signs of sleep apnea, and have migraine issues that could cause you to miss time doing your job. You should reconsider. Your squad mates shouldn't have to suffer and pick up extra work because you shammed your way thru MEPS. Should you deploy no matter your job, the only thing that should keep you from doing your job would be, well... nothing other than a catastrophic event.. Not I didn't sleep enough or my head hurts... Get in some good shape first. Passing PT standards then worry about your medical history. Just shooting from the hip on this one, no offense intended in your direction. You shouldn't join if you currently have medical issues that would even occasionally stop you from performing your job. Good luck in whatever path you choose.

If you exibit signs of sleep apnea, and have migraine issues that could cause you to miss time doing your job. You should reconsider. Your squad mates shouldn't have to suffer and pick up extra work because you shammed your way thru MEPS. Should you deploy no matter your job, the only thing that should keep you from doing your job would be, well... nothing other than a catastrophic event.. Not I didn't sleep enough or my head hurts... Get in some good shape first. Passing PT standards then worry about your medical history. Just shooting from the hip on this one, no offense intended in your direction. You shouldn't join if you currently have medical issues that would even occasionally stop you from performing your job. Good luck in whatever path you choose.

No offense taken or anything. I know exactly where you are coming from. I do get migraines, and have had them since i was little, but I have them under control and they rarely put me out of commission anymore as I can take the needed steps as I feel one coming on. I would not join if I had any doubt that on performing the needed job to 100% completion when needed.

The possible apnea part of it was my main concern. I wouldn't be joining for about another year or so. In that time I would evaluate to make sure it wouldn't impede me at all. My father has sleep apnea and the PAP machine he used while sleeping made a huge difference with tons more energy. Joining is contingent on getting my issues worked out first. I wouldn't try to if I can't get an improvement on my sleeping as it does affect many other things.

But over the next year I will be getting in much better shape and preparing for it. Whether I can go through with it depends on what I had mentioned I am working on between now and then.

It's the Air Force - do they actually work?

Back
Top Bottom