Public ranges: Ever been an incident in MA?

Shane

Banned
Ever been an incident at a public range in Massachusetts?

I know in Springfield at Smith and Wesson Academy, they have a public range where you can rent pretty much any gun they have and use it on the range. That's where I shot a handgun for the first time. [grin]

Apparently American Firearms School does as well...

I was curious if there has ever been a shooting resulting in bodily harm due to an unqualified person(s) getting hold of the loaded handgun.

I was shocked to say the least that Massachusetts would even allow the renting of a handgun for use on a range.

I'm guessing there hasn't been an incident, and thats a good thing for our side.

Two... the second one, IIRC, was at Boston Gun Range several years ago in their old location. Search the threads for Boston Gun Range and suicide.

Wow...

I just looked that up. Apparently it's the 2nd suicide the range has had in a decade.

Maybe Deval would consider banning public ranges? [sad2]

What makes one "qualified" to use a pistol?

knowing where not to point it

i think knowing how eject a magazine and where the slide release are important

being mentally stable perhaps?

physical ability to endure recoil upon discharging the firearm

Last edited:
Idiocy cannot be legislated against, its a fact of life. There will always be some idiot who sees an opportunity to misuse a gun. We as lawful gun owners shouldn't pay for their misdeeds.

At the risk of [slightly] hijacking the thread, I'd like to reframe the question - Has there ever been an incident at a public range where a third party (innocent bystander type) has been injured? The examples given involve only an individual harming, intentionally or unintentionally, himself - which is something that could have happened anywhere. The potential risk of a public range is that it exposes third parties to injury by [arguably] less-regulated users. Has that ever happened?

Good Question. Not that I am aware of. I can usually spot an idiot, or in any doubt, I leave. I live fairly close to my range so it does not bother me that much.

There was an attempted suicide at a range near Boston quite a few years ago. It was during an NRA Basic Pistol class.

There was an attempted suicide at a range near Boston quite a few years ago. It was during an NRA Basic Pistol class.
Range rental suiciding is low, but during an NRA basic pistol class? WTF! People are trying to learn how to safely handle and be comfortable with firearms and they have to ruin it for everyone! [frown]

Last edited:

If they missed at least there were professional instructors there to show them proper shooting techniques to be practiced so they can shoot more accurately at their head....I mean target.....

No one actually got hurt and no real incedent but this thread reminded me of a time at AFS when a few thug wanna be's rented several handguns (1 each) and went shooting. person next to me had a revolver, reloaded 3 times (so probably 18 rounds) shooting gangster style at a shaddow target at 12 feet. There was a total of 4 holes in the cardboard, (nevermind the paper, or even the shadow). My friend and I just made sure one of us always had a loaded magazine, kept a watchful eye, and went about our business.

I have also heard a story of a competition shooter hitting the trigger while holstering or unholstering his firearm. I believe he grazed his leg. Nothing lethal, just stupid.

I'm always "on alert" when I go to Manchester Firing Line. Every now and then you get someone who doesn't know even remotely what he's doing.

Last time I was there I firmly, but kindly, advised the guy in the booth next to me that loading behind the firing line was not safe, that he must only load at the line, and never leave the line unless his gun clear with the action open. He took the correction well.

When you see people doing stupid things at the range, you have to confront them or next time this thread comes up we'll have more examples to add...

Back
Top Bottom