Ptr91/fal/m1a

I really, really, really don't want to start the usual "which is best" battle seen on
every gun forum since the begining of time. I really just wanted to run some
thoughts by someone and you guys are my only shooting buddies [sad] so
maybe someone has advice.

I bought a used M1A a while back and I really like it. It's damned accurate,
fun to shoot, and is the highest-end gun I own. But...I have wanted a FAL for
decades, I just don't have the money for both. I know it's trite as hell, but I
also love the looks of the hk 91/93 and I tend to keep firearms that I don't
really *need* only if they move me. So what do I do? Do I sell the M1A which
is well set up and has 6 mags (a b*tch to find in MA) and buy a nice FAL or a
PTR91 with a ton of mags? Do I get the rifle I always dreamed of owning but
could never afford and risk giving up a great rifle (that, alas, I don't feel like
picking up every time I look in the safe) if I don't like it?

Confused in MA,
F

It's a decision you just have to make on your own. The easy thing to say is, "get all three", but I understand financial limitations.

If you want to read an in-depth comparison of all three to help with your decision, pick up "Boston's Gun Bible" by Boston T. Party. It's available on the usual book sites - amazon, barnesandnoble, etc. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...f=pd_bbs_1/103-0054632-8435056?_encoding=UTF8

Good Luck!

I would never get rid of my M1A, especially for an FAL. If all 3 were equal in their capabilities, I would still prefer my M1A.

In the latest edition of Boston's book, the M1A/M14 does indeed come out on top, just barely edging out the FAL and H&K rifles. Alot of his analysis is subjective, but his comparison is very complete.

I'm a very large fan of the FAL, however, I wouldn't give up a M1A for one.
I sold a seldom used M1A match grade quite a number of years ago and regret that it couldn't be replaced at anywhere near the original price ($500!).
OTOH, I still have my FAL, which I enjoy imensely.
It's a bummer, not being able to afford one of each gun ever made![crying]

The FAL receiver is overly long. The result is that the front handguard is way, way out there, and the balance point is too far forward. So it feels like a boat anchor in my hands. I can shoot the M1A offhand just fine. I can't shoot the FAL offhand to save my life.

Lots of FAL fans cite the benefits of being able to adjust the gas port on the FAL. Guess what happens when you have the gas port open too much so that not enough gas gets to the piston? The cartridge doesn't full eject and gets caught between the bolt carrier and dust cover. It's not fun kicking the charging handle of your rifle trying to unjam it. It's embarrassing on the range. A bit worse than that in other circumstances.

Ever had a magazine baseplate pop off dumping your magazine's contents at your feet? Yup, happened twice with my FAL.

The M1A trigger is pretty good out of the box and any decent gunsmith can improve it greatly. How many gunsmith's can work on a FAL trigger?

The M1A sights are excellent out of the box as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

My personal observation....I have all three of the guns you like, an M1A, PTR91 and the Israel FAL.
I like the M1A first the FAL second and the PTR third.

My opinion YMMV

Keep the M1A, it's the best platform for 308 rifles out there

I fondled a PTR91 this week, and while it looks sexy as hell, it felt aweful.
The stuck did not have enough drop and the crescent-shaped butt was
uncomfortable and way too narrow. Scratch that one off the list.

It looks like I just need to spend more time with the M1A and
have more fun with it. If anyone knows of an "Intro to High Power"
match (or is willing to hold a clinic for some new guys) I'd
love to give that a shot.

firtree,

Check with the CMP match page on Braintree R&P website. www.brp.org

As far as I know, Ross runs a "intro" of some sort before the shooting begins. You can Email him from the website if you have any questions. Third Sat of most months (not Winter). I'm usually one of the ROs on duty for that, but won't be there due to other obligations in June.

Here's a factor you have not cited: Investment value.

ANY "assault weapon" in Mass. is a premium firearm, just like handguns not on the AFR. That said, I suggest that a real H&K is going to be worth more than an FAL or ANY copycat.

Doesn't mean I'd sell an M1A I liked to get one, however....

Back
Top Bottom