PSA and fn machine gun steel heavy chromed barrels?

mac1911

NES Member
Any one have one of these ? I see it more and more on PSA deals on their uppers.
When I hear machine gun and heavy chrome I think very loose chambers and a barrel that will not shoot very well. I think heavy chrome and see in my eyes mind rounded edges on groves and lands?
They have a 20" upper for 429$ ?

I have one of their dissipator uppers with the FN machine gun steel barrel. I have never shot it for groups but with A2 sights I can ding steel at 200 and 300 yards all day.

While researching for my build everything I found indicates that those barrels are nice. If it is the one I was looking at earlier it is Cold Hammer Forged barrel, and is definitely tip top. Not that FN really has any "crappy" barrels that I've heard of, they make good stuff.

While researching for my build everything I found indicates that those barrels are nice. If it is the one I was looking at earlier it is Cold Hammer Forged barrel, and is definitely tip top. Not that FN really has any "crappy" barrels that I've heard of, they make good stuff.
What makes them nice though? Good enough to put on a m249 and dump rounds down range?
CHF doesn't mean quality. FN they do make some nice stuff but they also manufacture mass amounts of parts for the military market. Now PSA has had a few good deals on these barrels in the past. I have a good amount odd parts for a Franken build just looking @ different less expensive barrels.

What makes them nice though? Good enough to put on a m249 and dump rounds down range?
CHF doesn't mean quality. FN they do make some nice stuff but they also manufacture mass amounts of parts for the military market. Now PSA has had a few good deals on these barrels in the past. I have a good amount odd parts for a Franken build just looking @ different less expensive barrels.

The "machine gun" barrels have a thicker chrome lining. The way I understand it is the thicker chrome lining does allow you to "dump rounds down range" while retaining its accuracy, add CHF into the mix and you have a fairly sturdy, long lasting barrel. While CHF doesn't automagically make a barrel quality, I have yet to see a bad report of CHF barrels by FN (Not that they probably don't exist), but FN's QC seems to be fairly decent and folks seem to think they make some of the best CHF barrels around.

It is rumored that Noveske (Among others) use these types of barrels made by FN in their builds that state they have "machine gun barrels" in them; however there is no absolute proof to confirm. But their choices in companies in the US who can actually make them are pretty narrow (3 total maybe?). I don't drink the Noveske Kool aid, but they don't seem to be a company that would use crappy parts.

That said, the average user probably doesn't "need" such a barrel, but then again I don't buy/build/upgrade my firearms based on "need". My current work in progress has a 416R Stainless heavy profiled barrel, definitely not a "need".

Last edited:
The "machine gun" barrels have a thicker chrome lining. The way I understand it is the thicker chrome lining does allow you to "dump rounds down range" while retaining its accuracy, add CHF into the mix and you have a fairly sturdy, long lasting barrel. While CHF doesn't automagically make a barrel quality, I have yet to see a bad report of CHF barrels by FN (Not that they probably don't exist), but FN's QC seems to be fairly decent and folks seem to think they make some of the best CHF barrels around.

It is rumored that Noveske (Among others) use these types of barrels made by FN in their builds that state they have "machine gun barrels" in them; however there is no absolute proof to confirm. But their choices in companies in the US who can actually make them are pretty narrow (3 total maybe?). I don't drink the Noveske Kool aid, but they don't seem to be a company that would use crappy parts.

That said, the average user probably doesn't "need" such a barrel, but then again I don't buy/build/upgrade my firearms based on "need". My current work in progress has a 416R Stainless heavy profiled barrel, definitely not a "need".

I guess my worry lies in PSA pushing these barrels in their discount uppers? I cant help but think they buy FNs barrels that dont meet up to FNs specs but are good and safe to function and sold off in bulk to places like PSA.

I guess my worry lies in PSA pushing these barrels in their discount uppers? I cant help but think they buy FNs barrels that dont meet up to FNs specs but are good and safe to function and sold off in bulk to places like PSA.

Unless it says PTAC it is probably a decent upper. Even then, the average range plinker most likely won't have any issue with their PTAC line either. Their regular PSA and "premium" generally gets decent reviews. The premium line usually indicates an FN CHF barrel.

Back
Top Bottom