• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS Rimfire noob thread

Same, similar thing. You use whichever app to calculate either the number of clicks of elevation to dial in to your scope for a given range target, or how much hold over you need if you aren't going to dial.
Ok, cool. Looks like I bought the Ballistic AE app back in 2018 for some reason or other. Now I’ll just have to learn how it works.

Thanks.

Interested in getting into this game, I am pretty certain I will end up with either a Vudoo or a Bergara barreled action. So, the next big decision is choosing a chassis and trying to decide what I need and what I want. I am kind of partial to the more traditional style of a stock like a KRG Bravo, the KRG can be had for $360, and looks to have all the adjustability as an MPA or MDT that are priced almost $1000 more. It probably wouldn't take much to convince me to get an MPA, other than the cool factor, what more do you get for the extra thousand bucks?

Interested in getting into this game, I am pretty certain I will end up with either a Vudoo or a Bergara barreled action. So, the next big decision is choosing a chassis and trying to decide what I need and what I want. I am kind of partial to the more traditional style of a stock like a KRG Bravo, the KRG can be had for $360, and looks to have all the adjustability as an MPA or MDT that are priced almost $1000 more. It probably wouldn't take much to convince me to get an MPA, other than the cool factor, what more do you get for the extra thousand bucks?
Buy once, cry once...

The krg bravo is an excellent, ergonomic, cost effective, lightweight, modular chassis for the money. The backbone is machined out of aluminum, but the rest is plastic. They sell upgrades to make it more adjustable, such as buttpad adjustment upgrades, weights, arca rails, aluminum forends, etc. If you buy all the extra stuff you'll end up wishing you just bought something nicer from the start. MPA chassis are machined out of all aluminum and have integral arca rails and more factory adjustability. You can also build them out to be overall heavier with internal/external weight kits, and some of them have folding stock options. If you like the feel of a traditional stock, the MPA matrix is really nice and has all the adjustability of a chassis.

If you can wait for Black Friday, you could save a lot of money. MPA sells "grenade" (blem) chassis for around 40% off.

If you can wait for Black Friday, you could save a lot of money. MPA sells "grenade" (blem) chassis for around 40% off.
it`s the only way to do it for sure.
and do not forget MDT also. their site is a total zoo during black friday sale, lags and glitches as it is always overloaded, but deals can be had.

LSS Gen 2 Chassis - Factory Second
104486-BLK-FS
Inlet: CZ 457, Color: Black
$257.97 USD
Qty: 1
$257.97 USD

dunno what was 'blem' about it, i think they just sell overstock mostly.

MDT's black friday website meltdown is a tradition, but they have also been great fulfilling orders that never went through and honoring the BF prices

MDT's black friday website meltdown is a tradition, but they have also been great fulfilling orders that never went through and honoring the BF prices
yeah, if they will have same lss gen2 again at mid-200s i will get it again in rem700, will make myself a .223 bolt gun finally. have all the other parts already, minus the barrel.
for those who don't know - that lss takes all the usual AR parts, for the grip, stock, etc. if you have a bunch of ar15 leftovers like i do - it is a no brainer solution.

what i could never understand, what is the point in those ultra expensive bipods they sell - i can understand, like, a $300 or even $400 price point for quality machining, but a $900 for a bipod is, well, a very niche market.

what i could never understand, what is the point in those ultra expensive bipods they sell - i can understand, like, a $300 or even $400 price point for quality machining, but a $900 for a bipod is, well, a very niche market.

If you want street cred on snipershide then you need a ckye-pod

Definitely expensive and another item for the BF sale. The value in the double and triple pulls come into play when shooting matches on uneven terrain, have high angle shots, or shooting from areas with tall grass/shrubs. They've become very popular in NRL hunter matches.

Just read through this thread and I poked around on the PRS and NRL22 websites. Looks like 99% of the competitors are shooting Open.

Is that accurate?

IMG_20230228_201433_470.jpg

Started dabing in this myself, no official matches yet. Im starting with a christiansen ranger and arken optics 3-18, this was the most money i wanted to drop into this currently but its already sucking me in. My gun really likes eley and lapua match, wolf is a decent option if i cant find the gucci stuff.

Tons of fun shooting these at distance.

Just read through this thread and I poked around on the PRS and NRL22 websites. Looks like 99% of the competitors are shooting Open.

Is that accurate?
No, not that high at all. Maybe, at most 98%

When I was shooting early in the year, I was factory class. The smaller events there was me and 1 or 2 others. The bigger events 6 or 7 out of 30+ if I remember correctly

No, not that high at all. Maybe, at most 98%

When I was shooting early in the year, I was factory class. The smaller events there was me and 1 or 2 others. The bigger events 6 or 7 out of 30+ if I remember correctly
Haha… I guess I’ll just jump in with both feet on this build!

Haha… I guess I’ll just jump in with both feet on this build!
If you want, swing for the fences, but there's nothing wrong with factory class. There's nothing wrong with open, just depends on what you want to do

You're still on the same line as everyone else firing the same sequence of shots. There's no difference.

Keep in mind there's A LOT of other equipment your going to be buying. Most people have tripods, spotting scope or binoculars, range finder, several different types of shooting bags, bipod, kestrel, and various other small items. Do you need most of these items, no, but some you do. Bipod and one bag is a must.

However with the exception of the bipod there is usually a handful of people that are happy to loan a bag, offer the use of a spotting scope, and other items. So you don't need them right away, but eventually you will fill out your equipment to go along with the rifle/scope.

O and for the luve of donuts, make sure you grab a scope with a zero stop. I didn't, and that screwed my day.

Last edited:

Is that accurate?
Myself, like a lot of the guys shooting PRS in New England have a history of competitive pistol shooting. We all started (pistol games) in a Production or Stock division and progressed along through upgrades, newer models and in to the other racy divisions.
So, for PRS, we skipped that BS and went full retard with what we see as the best available equipment, so it's just our skills (or lack of skills) to blame when the scores are totaled.

Myself, like a lot of the guys shooting PRS in New England have a history of competitive pistol shooting. We all started (pistol games) in a Production or Stock division and progressed along through upgrades, newer models and in to the other racy divisions.
So, for PRS, we skipped that BS and went full retard with what we see as the best available equipment, so it's just our skills (or lack of skills) to blame when the scores are totaled.
I think even the best of equipment can still be blamed for poor scores. And there’s always something I can add/modify/replace along the way to try and gain an edge. Anything but practice, who has time for that.

speaking of what needed and what not - i looked around at some time for a small bag that would have an arca plate receptical/lock on it - and did not find anything reasonably cheap.

i made a 3d printed arca plate itself, have it on all my rifles, so going to make now something simple that just slides on/off that plate and can be secured to any bag by straps the bag normally has. will add it to the list of my auctions later.

If you want, swing for the fences, but there's nothing wrong with factory class. There's nothing wrong with open, just depends on what you want to do

You're still on the same line as everyone else firing the same sequence of shots. There's no difference.

Keep in mind there's A LOT of other equipment your going to be buying. Most people have tripods, spotting scope or binoculars, range finder, several different types of shooting bags, bipod, kestrel, and various other small items. Do you need most of these items, no, but some you do. Bipod and one bag is a must.

However with the exception of the bipod there is usually a handful of people that are happy to loan a bag, offer the use of a spotting scope, and other items. So you don't need them right away, but eventually you will fill out your equipment to go along with the rifle/scope.

O and for the luve of donuts, make sure you grab a scope with a zero stop. I didn't, and that screwed my day.
Oh I agree nothing wrong with any of those classes I just like to compete with other people... Also the scope I'm going to throw on already puts me out of the production class limit of $1500. Id love to just buy a CZ 457 and throw my scope on and run that, which I might actually do.

I have most everything needed except the gun itself and a spotting scope.

MDT has some incredible customer service. Every year their site crashes and they f*** something up, but every year they also take a hit making it right for customers.

Not that any of that makes it any less hilarious.
I drank the flavored water beverage you guys are serving in this thread and ordered an ACC Premier blem on Black Friday. I picked a blem and a color I didn’t really want because it was in stock. Still “awaiting fulfillment” on the website and when I called, the flustered rep. seemed to wonder why I was asking when the second coming is going to be.

At least I already received the rifle and everything else I need for the build. [rofl]

I drank the flavored water beverage you guys are serving in this thread and ordered an ACC Premier blem on Black Friday. I picked a blem and a color I didn’t really want because it was in stock. Still “awaiting fulfillment” on the website and when I called, the flustered rep. seemed to wonder why I was asking when the second coming is going to be.

At least I already received the rifle and everything else I need for the build. [rofl]
You may end up waiting a bit but end up with a brand new chassis and not a blem. They have oversold things in the past and they always make good on it.

I've bought during their BF sales and this has been my experience.

Lol, you didn’t drink enough coolaid, because if you had, you would already know that you will NEVER have “everything else you need for the build”…

I ordered my chassis 2 weeks before Black Friday just to get ahead of all you guys in line, and I’m still waiting…

Back
Top Bottom