• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS Rimfire noob thread

B14r is a great rifle.

Yes to a bipod.

Skip any bags for now until you can see what others are using, and how they are using them. You will have many opportunities to try them all.
GeoBallistics is the other free app that works well.

A mat isn't really necessary, but if you already have one it's good to have, actually if you want a free rubber gym mat I have a few on hand, that's all I use.
I've yet to see anyone ever use a sling

Re mounting a scope to a b14r, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it should take a rem700 rail. Get a 20moa.
I think your right, the bergara should be a rem 700 short action clone.

@Cuz B14r is a nice rifle. It does have some quirks... Hard bolt close along with ejection issues. There are some fixes for these issues on the web.

Also, Rem700 has huge aftermarket support. Any chassis or stock you use outside of the factory stock you will need to have an adjustable mag catch or you'll need to shim the mags for proper feeding.

Like @MC56 mentioned you can slap an Area419 arca rail on the B14R stock and be good.

Depending on what scope you're going to use? I would suggest at minimum a 30moa rail. Anarchy outdoors/Area419 offerings.

Rings will be fine, unless you want to break off the dough for a mount like a Spurh, MPA or ARC M-Brace.

Bipod, I would suggest an Atlas Cal or Ckye pod over a Harris.

I would also look at upgrading the trigger. I'm a trigger tech diamond guy.

Get yourself some quality ammo.

I wouldn't buy an bags as @SJan said. Try before you buy. Most guys all use a Armageddon Shmedium bag. It's a great do all bag for front support and can double as a rear bag.

As @Ron Jablonski said if you can wait for the Black Friday deals you can save a bunch of dough if you're a thrifty shopper.

Yes, Matt aka Womfat has a nice channel on YouTube.

These are just some suggestions. Buy as your budget sees fit.

Good Luck,
Biggie

B14r is a great rifle.

Yes to a bipod.

Skip any bags for now until you can see what others are using, and how they are using them. You will have many opportunities to try them all.

A mat isn't really necessary, but if you already have one it's good to have, actually if you want a free rubber gym mat I have a few on hand, that's all I use.
I've yet to see anyone ever use a sling

Re mounting a scope to a b14r, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it should take a rem700 rail. Get a 20moa.

We should be having one more match this year at Hopkinton on September 24.... If you need pressure to buy stuff soon
Thanks for the info. I don’t think I’ll be ready to participate by the 24th, but it certainly may be worth the drive just to check out gear and start my list of stuff I “need”.

If I was REALLY smart, I’d wait to buy a rifle until after checking out what others are shooting, but history has confirmed that’s jut not how I roll…

@Cuz B14r is a nice rifle. It does have some quirks... Hard bolt close along with ejection issues. There are some fixes for these issues on the web.

Also, Rem700 has huge aftermarket support. Any chassis or stock you use outside of the factory stock you will need to have an adjustable mag catch or you'll need to shim the mags for proper feeding.

Like @MC56 mentioned you can slap an Area419 arca rail on the B14R stock and be good.

Depending on what scope you're going to use? I would suggest at minimum a 30moa rail. Anarchy outdoors/Area419 offerings.

Rings will be fine, unless you want to break off the dough for a mount like a Spurh, MPA or ARC M-Brace.

Bipod, I would suggest an Atlas Cal or Ckye pod over a Harris.

I would also look at upgrading the trigger. I'm a trigger tech diamond guy.

Get yourself some quality ammo.

I wouldn't buy an bags as @SJan said. Try before you buy. Most guys all use a Armageddon Shmedium bag. It's a great do all bag for front support and can double as a rear bag.

As @Ron Jablonski said if you can wait for the Black Friday deals you can save a bunch of dough if you're a thrifty shopper.

Yes, Matt aka Womfat has a nice channel on YouTube.

These are just some suggestions. Buy as your budget sees fit.

Good Luck,
Biggie
Thanks, all good info, and encouraging, because I just realized that I already have much of this stuff I bought 5 years ago when I got my 6.5CM Ruger Precision Rifle. I haven’t touched it in over 3 years so I sort of forgot about it.
So I already have a decent 5-25x56 scope in a Spurh mount, just need a rail of some sort to attach the Spurh mount to. Also got the Atlas bipod, and a brand new shooting mat, still in the bag. Never got shooting bags, but once I strip everything off the Ruger I may just be good to get started.
Just need to lock in a lefty model rifle, so far I’ve only found the B14R in stock in the lefty configuration.

Thanks, all good info, and encouraging, because I just realized that I already have much of this stuff I bought 5 years ago when I got my 6.5CM Ruger Precision Rifle. I haven’t touched it in over 3 years so I sort of forgot about it.
So I already have a decent 5-25x56 scope in a Spurh mount, just need a rail of some sort to attach the Spurh mount to. Also got the Atlas bipod, and a brand new shooting mat, still in the bag. Never got shooting bags, but once I strip everything off the Ruger I may just be good to get started.
Just need to lock in a lefty model rifle, so far I’ve only found the B14R in stock in the lefty configuration.
if you can, try to find just a steel barreled action, no stock, not the carbon fiber barrel model. Then scoop a chassis of your choosing on black friday. A KRG Bravo will do everything you need it to do for about 350 bucks, or about 275 on black friday.

The advice to wait and try bags at a match is good advice but, if you want to get something now to practice, a shmedium gamechanger with sand fill will never steer you wrong.

BA available here in steel. I bought my BA from him a couple years ago and dropped it in a KRG. I've since moved to a RimX. He's a solid seller. Give him a call he will get you squared away.

Front Range Precision has great pricing on KRG products, no tax & free shipping.

Biggie

KRG doesn't make left handed chassis, you have to bring it to a gunsmith to have cut. That's the kind of crap I want to avoid, I don't want to build a rifle, I want one that's done, and ok to play with out of the box. Not looking for the best, just something that's better than run of the mill.

KRG doesn't make left handed chassis, you have to bring it to a gunsmith to have cut. That's the kind of crap I want to avoid, I don't want to build a rifle, I want one that's done, and ok to play with out of the box. Not looking for the best, just something that's better than run of the mill.
If you buy a barreled action and a compatible chassis you just bolt it in and torque it down. There's really not much to it, the most time consuming part is getting the scope mounted properly and setting up the rifle so it's comfortable for you which is something you'd have to do anyways if you bought a complete rifle.

Lefty, huh? Feel your pain trying to get set up. I've had the best luck with finding lefties on gunbroker and from Eurooptic. There are Tikka T1Xs, B-14Rs and CZ457 Varmints in left hand on there now. Because left handed, I've bought all 3 in the last year as I could find them.

B-14R - closest to ready to go with the factory stock. Be careful removing butt spacers, the factory didn't run the wood screws they used all the way into the buttstock, so every spacer removal risks stripping the heads of the cheesy philips screws they used. Take the pad and spacers all the way off, use a similarly threaded screw in the holes in the stock to pave the way for the factory ones. Found that out the hard way. R700 scope mount, I used EGW. Decent trigger, cheek riser works. Steel barrel will balance better, the carbon I bought because available is lighter.

CZ 457 Varmint - I couldn't find any indication that CZ does the MTR stock in left hand. Buy the varmint for the heavy barrel, but the stock on it isn't set up for PRS stuff at all. Good looking wood, though. I think it'll end up as a squirrel sniper.

T1x - Factory plastic stock as it comes is not good. Beretta has the more vertical grip and fatter front end in plastic or elastomer covered plastic on their website. You might consider getting a T3X rubber buttpad from Beretta, too. It does lengthen the LOP, but the factory T1X buttplate is a very slippery plastic. You still will need a cheek riser, which they don't do.

My shooting isn't good enough to see much accuracy differences with these 3. So far, they all shoot great with either RWS match or SK Match/Long Range. I've been using the B14R in NRL22, and I'm nowhere near shooting up to the rifle's ability yet.

Lefty, huh? Feel your pain trying to get set up. I've had the best luck with finding lefties on gunbroker and from Eurooptic. There are Tikka T1Xs, B-14Rs and CZ457 Varmints in left hand on there now. Because left handed, I've bought all 3 in the last year as I could find them.

B-14R - closest to ready to go with the factory stock. Be careful removing butt spacers, the factory didn't run the wood screws they used all the way into the buttstock, so every spacer removal risks stripping the heads of the cheesy philips screws they used. Take the pad and spacers all the way off, use a similarly threaded screw in the holes in the stock to pave the way for the factory ones. Found that out the hard way. R700 scope mount, I used EGW. Decent trigger, cheek riser works. Steel barrel will balance better, the carbon I bought because available is lighter.

CZ 457 Varmint - I couldn't find any indication that CZ does the MTR stock in left hand. Buy the varmint for the heavy barrel, but the stock on it isn't set up for PRS stuff at all. Good looking wood, though. I think it'll end up as a squirrel sniper.

T1x - Factory plastic stock as it comes is not good. Beretta has the more vertical grip and fatter front end in plastic or elastomer covered plastic on their website. You might consider getting a T3X rubber buttpad from Beretta, too. It does lengthen the LOP, but the factory T1X buttplate is a very slippery plastic. You still will need a cheek riser, which they don't do.

My shooting isn't good enough to see much accuracy differences with these 3. So far, they all shoot great with either RWS match or SK Match/Long Range. I've been using the B14R in NRL22, and I'm nowhere near shooting up to the rifle's ability yet.
Thanks, you sound like you’re a bit ahead of where I am now. I don’t want to have to buy all three, so I think I’ve decided on the B-14R just because it comes the most “ready” right out of the box.

I will need a 20moa rail, and I assume I need one labeled “short action” as opposed to long. I was a little concerned about the bolt hitting the scope, but I don’t think it will be an issue.

I was also considering just getting a right handed rifle, and running the bolt with my off-hand, but after watching a lot of videos, I don’t think that’s practical, so it will have to be a lefty model.

Thanks, you sound like you’re a bit ahead of where I am now. I don’t want to have to buy all three, so I think I’ve decided on the B-14R just because it comes the most “ready” right out of the box.

I will need a 20moa rail, and I assume I need one labeled “short action” as opposed to long. I was a little concerned about the bolt hitting the scope, but I don’t think it will be an issue.

I was also considering just getting a right handed rifle, and running the bolt with my off-hand, but after watching a lot of videos, I don’t think that’s practical, so it will have to be a lefty model.
just FYI, "converting" a bravo to lefty takes 2 seconds with a dremel, you just need to make a little cutout for the bolt handle.

So what are you guys using for ammo in your guns? That whole “buy a box of everything and test it” process looks too painful.

BA available here in steel. I bought my BA from him a couple years ago and dropped it in a KRG. I've since moved to a RimX. He's a solid seller. Give him a call he will get you squared away.

Front Range Precision has great pricing on KRG products, no tax & free shipping.

Biggie

I was on his waiting list for a long time for a lefty steel barreled action. Of course 1 week after I ordered a Vudoo, he texted me and said he had some available. Ha Ha Ha. He is a good seller though.

R700 20 MOA rails are easy to find. I may even have one that I'd sell.

I wanted a CZ457, but they were impossible to find in 22lr LH. The varmint model that I got for my son is a great gun.

There have been a couple of Vudoo's on SH lately in lefty.

So what are you guys using for ammo in your guns? That whole “buy a box of everything and test it” process looks too painful.
Maybe … but 22LRs, even 2 or more of the same brand and model, are like womenyou gotta find out what they like!

Anyone one of us could tell you to try Ely this, SK that, or CCI or Aquila whatever … and you could do very well … but what if your rig could do even better?

Sometimes though, I’d agree that good enough is ‘good enough’ … it really depends on your dedication and budget. Even though a lefty I went with the RPR, bedded it myself, tuned the trigger (replacement spring) and with good ammo/scope it prints 1/2 MOA @ 50Y when the nut begind the trigger is well tuned. I’m definitely not up for dumping $1,000s into a Vuduu, so I figure is this ends up being a safe queen, or the sport - while fun - just isn’t for me, then I’m not out too much, if at all. In the meantime I have a fun, capable shooter and any quality shooting and trigger time certainly builds my skills.

Last edited:
SK Rifle Match, SK Long Range, Wolf Match and Extra - depending on what's in stock.

RWS Rifle Match or Aguila Target Comp- Don't quite group with SK and Wolf in my rifles, but reallly close.

CCI Standard Velocity or Aguila Standard Velocity - practice ammo, decent accuracy except for the fliers.

Some rifles are fussier about ammo than others - my Savage's had strong preferences, the Bergara and Tikka would shoot anything well, almost all the time. With both of those, I'm the limitation in the system, not which ammo. A better shooter could probably figure out what match ammo they really like. The CZ is probably going to be the same.

SK Rifle Match, SK Long Range, Wolf Match and Extra - depending on what's in stock.

RWS Rifle Match or Aguila Target Comp- Don't quite group with SK and Wolf in my rifles, but reallly close.

CCI Standard Velocity or Aguila Standard Velocity - practice ammo, decent accuracy except for the fliers.

Some rifles are fussier about ammo than others - my Savage's had strong preferences, the Bergara and Tikka would shoot anything well, almost all the time. With both of those, I'm the limitation in the system, not which ammo. A better shooter could probably figure out what match ammo they really like. The CZ is probably going to be the same.
Damn, and I was thinking my first 1,000 rounds or so would be Federal AutoMatch just to learn a bit.

Stupid scope question, does the parallax have to focus down to 25 yards? Or will it be ok if it goes from 50-infinity? I'd hate to have to keep my 5-25 on my RPR and buy another 5-25'ish scope for this bolt gun. I already need something for the BXR semi-auto that's coming...
This is going to get out of hand quickly.

Others here know much more than I do, but from what I understand - yes, you want the parallax to go down to 25 if you plan on doing any shooting at 25 yds.

I got a 5-25 and kind of wish I had gotten a different one now. In competition there's almost no time (for me) to get things lined up at 25x - I never went past 20x and that was pushing it.

Stupid scope question, does the parallax have to focus down to 25 yards? Or will it be ok if it goes from 50-infinity? I'd hate to have to keep my 5-25 on my RPR and buy another 5-25'ish scope for this bolt gun. I already need something for the BXR semi-auto that's coming...
This is going to get out of hand quickly.

25yd parallax is ideal, but if a scope with 50yd parallax is all you have, run it. The reality of most matches is you may have a handful of shots out of 80-100 that are tough to see/hit in the 20-35yd range. Unless you're scoring in the top 5, it's not going to make or break your overall match.

Damn, and I was thinking my first 1,000 rounds or so would be Federal AutoMatch just to learn a bit.
That's still a valid plan - I'll say that most - okay, all of my issues are due to not setting up solid shooting positions, not how well the rifle shoots. I either have a solid position and do well on a stage, or don't have and don't do well at all. I use the CCI and Aguila SV for practice because I have a shitload of it. If you've got Automatch, run it!!

We should be having one more match this year at Hopkinton on September 24.... If you need pressure to buy stuff soon

I’m planning to attend the Hopkinton match, as a spectator and data collector. I don’t expect my scope to be in, and while I have a mount that should work, I want to see what others are using. I don’t do individual scope rings, so I’m curious what others are using. I have a feeling the week after that match is going to be an expensive week for me…

With regards to Strelok and GeoBallistics, what do you actually do with these apps? I have (minimally) used one called Ballistic AE, does it do the same/similar thing? Or is it a whole different thing?

I’m planning to attend the Hopkinton match, as a spectator and data collector. I don’t expect my scope to be in, and while I have a mount that should work, I want to see what others are using. I don’t do individual scope rings, so I’m curious what others are using. I have a feeling the week after that match is going to be an expensive week for me…

With regards to Strelok and GeoBallistics, what do you actually do with these apps? I have (minimally) used one called Ballistic AE, does it do the same/similar thing? Or is it a whole different thing?
Someone can give you a tutorial at Hopkinton.

Same, similar thing. You use whichever app to calculate either the number of clicks of elevation to dial in to your scope for a given range target, or how much hold over you need if you aren't going to dial.

Back
Top Bottom