• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Projos- when did they become so expensive?

alx

NES Member
Rant.

Cheapest I can find coated bullets blue/ bayou is about 7.5 cents delivered and for large amounts. Wtf?

With 7.5 cents per primer, free brass and couple cents for powder a 9mm now is squarely at 18 cents or so per finished round. Compare to 25 cents for factory ammo and it -almost- not worth reloading 9mm.

Grrrrrr….

Well, you are viewing this the wrong way I believe. After the shortage ammo prices came down, but reloading supplies really did not. I was able to buy primers for 10-12 cents and projos for 3.5 cents during the height of the pandemic. To make things fair primers now should be at 4.5-5 cents and projos at 5 cents or so. That did not happened. Hence my Karen diatribe

I'm reloading 44mag at $15.64 per 50 rounds. That's with a 240 grain Keith style cast bullet (purchased not cast myself) and that's at 9 bucks a pack for primers and 38 bucks a pound for powder. Try finding 44mag at that price 😂

But yeah economies of scale keeps 9mm factory pretty cheep....I don't own any 9mm handguns but if I did I'd find it hard to justify that time at the bench.

Unlock massive savings by casting your own:

How long to reload on a single stage? Progressive?
… about 30 minutes going at slow- ish speed on Mark 7 with autodrive … about an hour on a Dillon 750 with case and bullet feeder pulling the handle by hand

This!
Learn to cast and then you’re looking at
$1 per pound (or less) for lead. 124 grain 9mm is 1.7 cents a pop.

Pretty decent savings and the initial investment can be very low. You’ll pay yourself back in no time.

Nothing in the gun/ammo world is getting less expensive. Yes there are temporary spikes and dips, but the steady progression of prices is going up.

I remember when Winchester 100rd Value Pack 9mm ammo was $6.95 a box ......everywhere, all day long. L7A1 Hirtenberger 9mm subgun ammo was $116.00 a can of 1200rds...... Wolf 7.62x39 was $79.00/1000rds, and a lot of people balked at those prices.

If you are in this game for the long haul, buy what you can, as cheap as you can, whenever you can and salt it away. The prices of ammo and components is never going back down to meet any past timeline.

Was waiting for this one.
Casting your own is paramount if you really want to minimize reloading costs.

Rant.

Cheapest I can find coated bullets blue/ bayou is about 7.5 cents delivered and for large amounts. Wtf?

With 7.5 cents per primer, free brass and couple cents for powder a 9mm now is squarely at 18 cents or so per finished round. Compare to 25 cents for factory ammo and it -almost- not worth reloading 9mm.

Grrrrrr….
Pretty much the same situation pre covid except the numbers are higher. Try plugging those values into an inflation calculator. Maybe the diff between handloads and factory ammo is the same only at a higher level

Rant.

Grrrrrr….
coated cast bullets are cheaper now than before covid ?

9mm was never a big money saver to reload. To me you do it so you can tune your load and get something specific or a special projo.
This. I don’t need to be shooting hot factory loads with extra recoil. Compared to my softer shooting 132-135 power factor loads.

If I didn’t compete and just punched paper from a stationary position I’d prob just buy factory - at least more recently with ammo prices dropping. Not during peak shortages.

Rant.

Grrrrrr….
What bullet weight you use?

lmao. But there’s sooo many bullet makers nowadays I’m not worried about running out or not being able to find them. Though during the Covid panic there were some shipping delays depending on the bullet company.
Yeah there were tons of powder and primer manufacturers too.

I will get you to the dark side some day.

^^^^^^^^^^THAT
I literally didn’t change my shooting habits during the panic. I remember numerous people at my gun club complaining how hard and expensive it is to get ammo. Meanwhile I got a Tupperware filled with 9mm ammo blasting away. Sucks to be you. Sorry

almost- not worth reloading 9mm.
yeah, been like that for a while. i bought thousands and thousands of bullets right in the middle of covid. i panicked when components were drying up and bought every time i saw them. i have enough to last the rest of my lifetime. primers and powder too. there was a powder i used for 5.56 and i couldn't get it. i nickled and dimed my way to a 32 pound surplus of it. an 8 pounder here, a pound or two there. and that's on top of the other powders i use. i actually like reloading. it's a therapy for me, zen like i guess. if i really want to smell the coffee, i cover the progressive and pound out a few thousand on the single stage.

Back
Top Bottom