Process for filing a complaint

The wife submitted her pistol and revolver application (resident NH) and she has the receipt of delivery from the post office on 5/14

She called the PD this morning and they told her it isn't done, and won't be until next Tuesday at best (June 8th) 25 days later, because her references have not replied ( I am one of them and have not received a letter), and the board of selectmen only meet on Mondays.

I told her to tell them their negligence does not allow them to be late.

I live in Litchfield - do I submit a claim to Derry district court, or is that for Rockingham only?

The folks at GONH are very good about getting back to you.

I just took a look at the FAQ, it isn't very clear what court you need to apply to, but it seems it would be the Superior Court that covers Litchfield, so I'd suspect Manchester or Nashua (Hillsborough County).

I suspect that a friendly phone call to the chief from a knowledgeable attorney might convince the chief that it is in his best interest to follow the law.

Another avenue to explore . . . a lot less expensive than court and less confrontational . . . is to have a "friendly chat" with your First Selectman about this matter and how it violates state law. A call from the person who appoints the chief will most often put a lot of grease under that wheel to get it moving again. I don't live in NH (darn) but have done this effectively before on other issues and it's worked for me 2 out of 3 times.

NH is a MUST issue state, there is no checking of references needed.

Unless there is something in her past or in her present that makes her a prohibited person, they have NO CHOICE but to issue in the time specified in the RSA's

A denial must be appealed and a hearing held within 14 days at the court 14 days to deny, 14 days to notify, 30 days to appeal, 14 days max to a hearing date.

see page 2 of the application, here is the PDF. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

No other application is to be used, no other questions can be asked IIRC

Last edited:
It worked, she will pick it up tomorrow.

Excellent outcome!

This is why everyone should always send in the application (new license or renewal) via certified mail. You have a legal paper trail proving they broke the law.

Back
Top Bottom