• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private interstate sale ?

I'm sorry , I know this has been explained multiple times & I did read back 4 pages of thread titles ... but I gotta ask :

I live in Ma. I have a Class A license. Can I buy , say , A Kimber or new Glock from my private citizen Colorado fresident Brother-in-Law and bring it home to Marblehead Ma , legally?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my simple mind.

(An answer in plain english would be appreciated.)

I'm sorry , I know this has been explained multiple times & I did read back 4 pages of thread titles ... but I gotta ask :

I live in Ma. I have a Class A license. Can I buy , say , A Kimber or new Glock from my private citizen Colorado fresident Brother-in-Law and bring it home to Marblehead Ma , legally?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my simple mind.

(An answer in plain english would be appreciated.)

As it is explained to me, No :( For me, the real heartbreaker is not ever being own a Springfile XD. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact law...but I'm 99.999999% it's a no. If not, my cousin in NH would be bringing me a number of pistols.

Interstate transfers of any kind must involve an FFL. you can buy a long gun from an out of state FFL. Handguns need to be transferred to you by an instate FFL. These are Federal laws.

The instate FFLs need to follow the foolish EOPS and AG rules for handgun transfers. New users need to go to the control panel and change viewing to show the entire history of the board.

I travel back & forth to Co. & Fla fairly often. I know Dealers are restricted from doing many things ... The wife asked me about buying from a non dealer - a regular private guy ... and I didn't know.

The thing is - There aren't really many guns I would want to find that I can't find here in Ma. But one never knows , A .45 HK would appeal to me ...

Interstate transfers of any kind must involve an FFL. you can buy a long gun from an out of state FFL. Handguns need to be transferred to you by an instate FFL. These are Federal laws.

The instate FFLs need to follow the foolish EOPS and AG rules for handgun transfers. New users need to go to the control panel and change viewing to show the entire history of the board.

Okay. That's very plain english, Thank You. To further beat the dead horse :

This Federal law says No Private Citizen can sell a pistol to a man from another state ?

This Federal law says No Private Citizen can sell a pistol to a man from another state ?

not directly. it has to go through an FFL (FEDERAL Firearms Licesnee) in the purchaser's home state. This is from a 1968 law. That is when the Form 4473 and Brady check (newer reg) is done. Otherwise we would all have 3rd Gen Glocks, XDs and HK .45s.

If someone owns one of these in another state, moves to this state (MA), becomes a citizen and gets licensed then they can sell it to you as an intrastate sale. You have to see their FID/LTC and fill out an FA10. Other states have other (or no) rules.

Last edited:
Purchases or transfers of handguns between two persons not residents of the same state must go through an FFL.

Back
Top Bottom