• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R Private Sale EFA10 needed?

ILikeIke

NES Member
Hello,
I might be selling a C&R eligible Long gun to a non C&R holder in-state (let's call them Bob). I have and had C&R license when I bought this so this gun is simply recorded in my bound book. If I sell this C&R Firearm to Bob, do I need to fill out a EFA10? Can I even fill out the EFA10 since technically it's not registered within MA? Thank You

Yes and yes, Technically there is no registry in MA, Only a record of transfers, the C&R's probably should have had an FA 10 filed when you brought them in from out of state. They should go out as a standard FA10 transfer and record buyers info in your bound book

MA doesn't care about your C&R (federal license) you still are required to do the FA10 when selling it or when buying a C&R as well, basically any transaction with a firearm. No FA10 is needed if moving into MA from out of state and bringing guns in with you provided you apply for an LTC within a certain time frame, I think 90days.. Obviously this doesn't apply right now but as a MA resident with a C&R, when I buy or sell a C&R gun FA10's are done per MA regs.

Hello,
I might be selling a C&R eligible Long gun to a non C&R holder in-state (let's call them Bob). I have and had C&R license when I bought this so this gun is simply recorded in my bound book. If I sell this C&R Firearm to Bob, do I need to fill out a EFA10? Can I even fill out the EFA10 since technically it's not registered within MA? Thank You
Think of it like this:

If you file a federal tax return, as a MA inmate, do you also have to file a MA tax return?

They are two seperate entities with their own laws/rules and you have to abide by both. So, yes you do have to file FA-10s on ALL transfers and acquisitions (in and out) while a MA resident.

Legally, you should have done one when you received the firearm. MA does not care whether you used a C&R when you bought it: they still wanted to know you had it. IF that’s not what you did, I’d delete that part of your post…[wave]
The only exception is if the C&R's are not capable of firing a shot per MA definitions

Back
Top Bottom