Primer pockets

Recently I was lucky enough to pick up some 223/556 range brass, mostly LC. While depriming I notice some were very easy and when I went to swaging the primer pockets I noticed many appeared to have been chamfered and a good bit of brass was removed.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/attach/jpg.gif

The one on each end is Privi and they are crimped and the four in the middle are all what I would call reamed about 1/16" plus deep Lake City. They seam to hold primers ok. Is this common? Why not swage them instead? Should I bother to reload them. Any input would be appreciated. My only thought was whoever left them had decided they were only good for one reload after doing this and that is why I was able to gather them up.

I reamed some LC 223 primer pockets because the crimp was too hard to remove with my CH decrimping die. The brass worked OK, but the process was time consuming. I switched to a Dilon "Super Swage" which saolved the problem.

The commercial processors use a machine to ream the primer pockets (I think it's called the Scharch machine) that leaves that chamfer. Your brass is fine, you should get a few loadings out of it (unless it's been loaded a few times already).

Last edited:
if you ever buy a box of Ultramax (from DSG, factory reloads), they are chamfered like that. i tried out a small box of it once. reasonably accurate (accurate enough to plink plates @ 100 yards), and i kept the brass.

Back
Top Bottom