Primer pocket prep on pistol brass

I got the auto prime II, primer pocket reamer, and primer pocket uniformer today.

I started with the uniformer, it was set for large rifle primers so I needed to adjust it. The instructions did not say how you adjust it. There is a little allen screw that you can turn, I thought that it might adjust the position and that it was similar to the screw on the primer ram of my Dillon. Wrong... mostly stripped the screw before I figured out that it was not supposed to go in farther, it was simply preventing the cutter from moving in or out of the bit. I loosened it and tried to push the cutter a little farther into the bit. Wrong again... I pushed too far and now the cutter is stuck inside and there is no way to get it back out. I gave up and screwed the allen screw back in, stripping it the last bit in the process. That is going back to Midway for a refund. If they can't take the time to write directions and don't give any contact info for EJS (I googled but could not find info on the company) then they should expect their customers to trash the tool. I am not the only person who has had this problem, if you read the reviews someone else did the exact same thing.

Next I tried the primer pocket reamer briefly. It did not seem to make a big difference and I did not try to ream much material out. The reamer mostly fit into the pocket already and the cutting was going on at the mouth of the primer pocket.

Next I tried the Auto Prime II. %100 perfect seating with any brass including crimped brass! CCI primers which are the worst for me were a cinch. It is finicky to operate. You have to keep the primer tray full and make sure the primers are moving in the slide after each stroke by shaking the tray every couple of strokes but it seats them perfectly. If I am not careful you can dent or crush primers with impunity so you really need to go by feel.

Care to let the rest of us in on what you've seen? [wink]

I was on here one day pontificating about reloading equipment when I complained about the crappy equipment an experienced reloader on another board talked me into buying when I was first starting out because, as he put it, a single stage was "the best way to learn reloading". (For pistols it's not. It's the best way to waste a lot of time and bore yourself to tears.)

I remarked that I had still the single stage P.O.S. Lee press that I started out with, and that if anybody wanted it, they could have it.

Adweisbe took me up on it. I advised him not to load anything heavy on it. It appears that he was able to put it to good use.

Some of them do... Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers. The instructions say you need to adjust and give the correct measurements.

There may be some I haven't seen. However, all of mine are specifically made for each application. The directions explicitly say DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST.

Uniformers cut the floor of the primer pocket. If you go too deep, and thin that web out too much, you have big ka-boom problems.

I was on here one day pontificating about reloading equipment when I complained about the crappy equipment an experienced reloader on another board talked me into buying when I was first starting out because, as he put it, a single stage was "the best way to learn reloading". (For pistols it's not. It's the best way to waste a lot of time and bore yourself to tears.)

I remarked that I had still the single stage P.O.S. Lee press that I started out with, and that if anybody wanted it, they could have it.

Adweisbe took me up on it. I advised him not to load anything heavy on it. It appears that he was able to put it to good use.

Thanks, Mr. Coyle!

Aweisbe is a heck of a student of the shooting game.

Back
Top Bottom