Primer Pocket Cleaning?

The Goose

NES Member
What do you do for primer pocket cleaning? In a recent post there was discussion of when one de-primes their cases. I like do de-prime ahead of time as a seperate step and clean out the primer pocket (after tumbling). A few people have said that thet de-prime before tumbling because that cleans out the primer pocket. Others have said that they de-prime after tumbling to keep media out of the primer pocket. Still other have said that they de-prime as a part of the reloading process on a progressive press to save time which I assume means that they do not clean out the primer pocket.

What is your opinion and why? As a relatively new reloader I value your responses.

I only clean for rifle rounds that I will use for hunting or otherwise require great accuracy and consistency in primer ignition. For pistol I don't bother, because they pretty much go bang every time anyway, and the gun/reloaded ammo combination is way more accurate then I am, so I let it slide. I just tumble with the old primers in, and (on a dillon) punch out old and press in new primers on the same stroke.

I use the Lee primer pocket cleaner for rifle cartridges:

csetools.jpg

Like Jamz, I pretty much ignore cleaning pistol primer pockets.

The Lee tool could be chucked up in an electric drill but fI have never done so.

Jack

I use the Lee primer pocket cleaner.

This question is up because of handgun ammo reloading. I started out loading for .45-70 and .38-55 on a single stage press and still do. I quickly realized that this was not the way to go for handgun reloading and picked up a Dillon 550. I have been loading for .44 special. Initially I got a bunch of new Starline brass, but am now just coming around to reloading once fired brass. The thought of cleaning all of those primer pockets seemed daunting to say the least and as I contemplated branching out to .38/.257 and .45 ACP it became overwhelming.

I enjoy the attention to detail reloading the rifle rounds on a single stage and carefully preparing each case, but the difference between loading for a single shot rifle and a handgun is pretty substantial.

I'm with those guys. I don't clean pistol primer pockets at all. I they go right from the tumbler into the case feeder without a second thought.

I never clean primer pockets. I decap first, then tumble. I have never had media stick in the flash hole, but as a practical matter, since I size and bell after tumbling, the decapper pin will knock it out anyhow.

I used to be anal about cleaning and uniforming the primer pockets of my match ammo until I saw how my shooting partner's ammo shot in his rifle. He never does it and it does not affect his accuracy at all. I saw this guys shoot a 195 at 600 yards on the new F class target, where the 10 ring is 1 MOA using nothing but a bipod and a sock bag. I have also seen his 1/4 MOA 300 yard groups from the bench.

I never bothered for handgun or non-match rifle ammo.

I always tumble before resizing. The pockets never get cleaned during tumbling anyway. I do uniform pockets of rifle brass every time, using a Midway uniformer, after sizing. Then I trim to min. case length on the brass.
Dont know if it makes a difference, but it eliminates the chance of a high primer. I use an old Herters "0" press for rifle, and a Dillon 550 for pistol and high volume rifle brass.

me neither

I tumble and then put them in the casefeeder. if i have a problem
with a case not accepting a primer i throw it out. i don't throw out
many but i have cleaned the primer hole and put them back in
the feeder only to see them have the same problem again.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom