Primer Failures

Hi. New to the forum and new to reloading.

I purchased a Dillon RL 550B and associated equipment, currently set up to reload 0.40 S&W. I very much like this machine and reloading with it.

My friends and I shoot target/plinking out of a variety of 0.40 S&W handguns, I have loaded about 500+ rounds of .40 S&W with good results.

However, I have had a total of 8 primer failures. First batch of reloads was with Winchester Small Pistol primers, 2 of which failed. Switced to CCI Small pistol primers. Shot 200-300 with no problems. Latest batch had 6 failures out of 100. All six failures fired in a different gun although a few of them required 2-3 strikes in the 2nd gun to fire.

Is there something I could be doing while reloading to cause these failures?
Anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks, Chris

Welcome. I am relatively new to reloading as well. I have had similar results but is had more to do with mixed brass in my case. Some of the primers seated deeper than others and required multiple strikes. It may also have been related to my handling primers with my bare hands when primer feed hangs up on last primer. I still have a few that FTF from pumpkin shoot a while back that I haven't looked at.

You have definately come to the right place when it comes to getting answers. I have learned a lot and will be schooled again with followup posts. It is a whole new world when it comes to reloading safely and adds a great deal of enjoyment to my life in that reguard. Good luck.

John

Thanks for the reply.

I know being seated too deep is likely (assuming) not the problem, as I have run into more of a problem with primers not seating enough. But that was mainly user error, being that the Dillon requires a push of the lever in the opposite direction, if it is not forceful enough it will not seat the primer completely. But that is usually noticed right away as the shellplate assembly does not like to rotate if the primer is sticking out.

Chris

You don't say whether these are pistols or revolvers. Since 40sw is more commonly used in semi-autos I'll assume that the 'handguns' your referencing are autos.

My guess is that you're not seating the primers sufficiently. I don't mean you should mash them in with all your might, but as your experience increases with the 550 you will learn what it should 'feel' like when the primers are seated properly. After reloading, you should always check to make sure that they are even or just below the case head. Primers that are 'high' are pretty obvious, and they usually go off - but not always.

Another possibility: If your brass is really beat, or been reloaded a bunch of times, or been loaded very hot; the primer pockets could be a little on the large size allowing the primers to back out when chambered or the gun is fired. This would result in what people commonly refer to as a high primer. The firing pin or striker hits the primer, and the primer moves foward absorbing the energy of the firing pin of striker, but not igniting. After a couple of hits the primer goes bang because it is now seated.

Still another possibility: Your pistol(s) could be have a mechanical problem. It's pretty unlikely that two pistols would have a problem but if they've been modified or had trigger work done - it's a possibility.

And now a note: In a mechanically sound pistol, Winchester primers should go bang all day. CCI primers are considered a 'hard' primer, at least harder than Winchester. That might account for your failure ratio. The softest primers out there are Federal. Don't go out and start buying them though - if your using autos Winchester is a good primer. Save the Federals for the revolver guys and their 'silky light' trigger pulls on their 'game' guns. (Although I bet the guys that go really light (1 lb) with Open pistols like 'em too).

My money is mostly on your inexperience with the 550 (which will take care of itself soon)[grin], but it could certainly be a combination of eveything else.

Last edited:
im gonna second the light strike theory. make sure you're rocking the handle ALL the way forward.

FWIW, i've been using winchester small pistol primers in my .38sp reloads, and (so far) almost 2k rounds later, i've yet to have one fail.

also, check on how you're storing your primers. they can very easily be destroyed/nullified by petroleum based products/solvents (such as WD40). if you spilled something on the box/bench/press/etc, it's possible you might have contaminated a few.

Most likely a seating problem, with the primers not bottomed out in the primer pocket. It takes a little time to develope a feel for the seating with the Dillon 550 press. Your comment about being "new to reloading" is almost a dead giveaway.

When you run your fingers over the back of the round, you should feel the primer slightly recessed. When it fully seats it does that. Make sure you have a firm mount between your bench and press to get the best primer seating. On one of my Dillons, the primer gets recessed and even flattened the slightest bit.

I can't imagine it being mechanical unless it is a common factor among the different pistols, like reduced power Glock striker spings or really goofed up 1911 triggers.

If you rule out a problem with the pistol, then I agree that the most likely cause is high primers. The second most likely cause would be excessive headspace.

Great info. Some more detail:

Pistols: Taurus PT140 Pro and HK USPC

I will have to rule out a problem with the pistols for now because they have never had this problem with factory loaded ammo.

I will also rule out worn out brass, the 2 failures with Winchester were in new brass and the 6 CCI failures were in brass that was reloaded for the first time.

I will have to take another look my 'seating procedure' as I have found some that were not seated all the way, but caught that before moving on. I have it mounted on a sturdy bench with the Dillon strong mount. I have now began to actually grab the back of the press when seating the primers to reduce deflection. Hopefully I will load some tonight and pay attention to this.

I store them in their own gun case in their original packages and do not remove them until I am ready to put them into the machine.

Thanks for the replies - will probably shoot next weekend, we'll see how that goes.

Did you mush any of the primers when you were seating them? Sometimes if primers go in too hard (.38 Special with S&B brass comes to mind) you can damage the priming compound "pill" inside the primer, which can result in misfires.

I agree with the others that the most likely cause of your misfires are high primers. To my knowledge, you can't seat a primer too low.

Make sure your press is anchored firmly to the floor, and your bench is anchored to the wall, else you will risk being unable to seat your primers firmly.

+1. The Strong Mount is a good idea but it can cause problems because it give the press a lot of leverage. When you attempt to seat the primer the 550 and Stong Mount become a large lever which attempts to move your bench. If the bench is not adequately secured, it will flex and you will lose some of the energy that should be seating the primer. You might need a stronger bench as well as a more secure mount.

Great info. Some more detail:

Pistols: Taurus PT140 Pro and HK USPC

I will have to rule out a problem with the pistols for now because they have never had this problem with factory loaded ammo.

I will also rule out worn out brass, the 2 failures with Winchester were in new brass and the 6 CCI failures were in brass that was reloaded for the first time.

I will have to take another look my 'seating procedure' as I have found some that were not seated all the way, but caught that before moving on. I have it mounted on a sturdy bench with the Dillon strong mount. I have now began to actually grab the back of the press when seating the primers to reduce deflection. Hopefully I will load some tonight and pay attention to this.

I store them in their own gun case in their original packages and do not remove them until I am ready to put them into the machine.

Thanks for the replies - will probably shoot next weekend, we'll see how that goes.

That is what I do also and it works well. You should notice more consistancy with your primer seating doing it that way.

I am going to assume for now that it is primer seating - unfortunately I have no brass that needs to be reloaded for now - but I will defintely pay attention to primer seating.

I looked at some fo the reloaded ammo I have today and noticed that much of it is about flush on the primers - and some of the factory ammo I have is below flush as mentioned by some others.

We'll see how things go next weekend.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom