• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primer and powder storage.

NH Phantom

NES Member
Whats the best way to store. Was thinking of food saver vac bags. Then thought vac would explode the primers. I guess just sucking most of the air out then sealing would be ok. I dont think powder would be an issue. Whats your recommendation on this other that loading of course.

Whats the best way to store. Was thinking of food saver vac bags. Then thought vac would explode the primers. I guess just sucking most of the air out then sealing would be ok. I dont think powder would be an issue. Whats your recommendation on this other that loading of course.
i keep all primers in the dedicated small safe next to the press, it fits 12 CCI boxes. i split is 6/6 small/large primers. now large side is missing 2 spots, not good.
no real reason for the safe, just because. it is air tight and has silicagel inside.

and some extra boxes are in the other safe. powder i moved into the MTM ACR12 crates

I keep my powder and primers in a 3/4" thick plywood cabinet. I think 1 inch is recommended by SAAMI? or NFPA?
But it was already built when I bought the house so I wasn’t going to scrap it.

Don’t overthink it.
The packaging and containers will handle most any indoor environment.
A3304A5B-AB71-4AF3-A4DE-A9D9EBA08981.jpeg
10219C30-2E1A-480F-9EFA-BDC81B0A97C4.jpeg

If I were storing long term in my basement I'd be using USGI ammo cans. It's a tad humid down there in the summer.
If it's good for loaded ammo then it should be good for components.

According to SAAMI:

5. Modern sporting ammunition primers will not absorb moisture under normal or even severe conditions of atmospheric humidity. There is no advantage to be gained from air-tight containers. The factory containers in which they are packaged need only normal conditions of storage. They should be kept dry and not exposed to high temperatures (in excess of 150° F). If exposed to wet conditions or high temperatures, they may deteriorate, yielding misfires or poor ignition of the propellant powder.

I do store my powder in bins with desiccant, but my primers are just in a cabinet.

I store everything (original packaging) in an old, lockable file cabinet. I have a dehumidifier in the basement running year-round so I'm not worried about humidity in the summer.

Just store it like they do where you buy it, on a shelf, or on a shelf in a cabinet if you want some security. I was given several thousand shotgun primers years ago that the boxes had gotten wet.... they dried out and have not had a misfire yet

thats the issue i normally keep the primers upstairs in my office but I'm moving stuff in the basement. kinda humid down there in the summer
Put primers in 50 cal ammo cans, they won't get moist. My basement is damp enough in the summer to start rusting a parked colt 1911 in 6 hours and my primers were just fine in those cans.....

I keep my powder and primers in a 3/4" thick plywood cabinet. I think 1 inch is recommended by SAAMI? or NFPA?
But it was already built when I bought the house so I wasn’t going to scrap it.
Hi. I think recommendation refers to 1" nominal thickness. 1" nominal thickness board is actually 3/4" thick. So, if your plywood is actually 3/4" thick, you are already right on the recommendation. :)

Original container inside a vacuum bag would be fine.

I use vacuum food saver bags for powder containers. Powder is inside original container.

To be honest it emanates a bit of a nitro odor. I lock my jugs in a big ass mtm airtight box and when you open it - it hits your nose, it sips even from locked jugs.
Yup. I can smell it when I open my plywood cabinet that has my powder ammo etc.

I keep primers in a steel ammo can (with a seal) and have a moisture absorbing packet or two in there. Never had any issues, but my basement isn't all that damp and I run a dehumidifier in the warm months. Bone dry in the fall and winter.

Have about 90,000 primers just sitting on my workbench, and been sitting for the past 10 years. zero issues.

Have about 150# of smokeless and Black powder just sitting on a shelf also sitting for the past 10 years. ZERO issues.
And that was the moment @Road_Clam became the most sought after friend in all of New England.... (grin)

Have about 90,000 primers just sitting on my workbench, and been sitting for the past 10 years. zero issues.

Have about 150# of smokeless and Black powder just sitting on a shelf also sitting for the past 10 years. ZERO issues.

No need to create a solution to a non-existent problem.
I am proud to say I met you and bought some of that powder.

Back
Top Bottom