• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prescription handguns through Medicare?

Since I'm on Medicare (Old enough to fart dust), I'll see if I can get one and convert it to full auto and add a suppressor. Jack.

That would be epic [smile]

What next, after the Brady Bunch getting their way with FTF's at gunshows are they going to run around screaming "CLOSE THE MEDICARE LOOPHOLE!!!!!"?

I'll join the AARP if they're planning on a group buy! [laugh]

(I don't think this is going to happen. IIRC the AARP had an anti-gun position several years, which is why I haven't joined. Apparently they've moderated this position due to complaints from members. The latest information I've come up with is here on page 32 of this document from 2007.
I may write them about their current policy. I'm curious as to what it actually is.)

I can't imagine it would be prescribed for self defense. Did Dr. Kervokian have a hand in this?

Last edited:
I get medical devices through FDA for a living. Why didn't that firm call me? I would have registered this with FDA pro bono in exchange for range time.

Palm Pistol for the elderly

Constitution Arms, a small arms manufacturer based in Maplewood, N.J., is taking deposits for what it touts as the world's first ergonomically designed firearm.

Intended for use by the elderly and disabled, the single-shot 9-mm weapon looks like a giant bean grasped in the palm of the hand.

The barrel points out between the user's fingers. You "pull" the trigger by pressing on a thumbed button at the top.

"Point and shoot couldn't be easier," states the blurb on the product's Web site.

Even better, Constitution Arms says it's had it certified by the FDA as a "Class I Medical Device." That means doctors could prescribe the handgun to qualified patients, who would then have some or all of the cost reimbursed by Medicare or private insurance.

The gun will cost about $300. A deposit to get yours when it's ready is $25, though Constitution Arms doesn't say exactly when that will be.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,461928,00.html

http://www.palmpistol.com/

Sa that the other day on our officer safety board at work...scary! How oes this work w/ licensing if a Dr. can prescribe it and what injury/illness do you have to have to get a PISTOL! This is BULLSHIT!

Sa that the other day on our officer safety board at work...scary! How oes this work w/ licensing if a Dr. can prescribe it and what injury/illness do you have to have to get a PISTOL! This is BULLSHIT!

You still need to go through an FFL. The presription just allows insurance to cover it as a medical device.

I wouldn't worry about too many doctors writing prescriptions for this. I can't imagine any doctor (or their insurance carrier) willing to take on the liability risk involved in writing a prescription for one of these. [wink] Not to mention that most major medical associations have an anti-gun plank or two in their policies.

I suppose if a person was diagnosed with an impairment like arthritis they might try to argue for reimbursement from their medical insurance, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to take an actual prescription.

Good luck getting that! [laugh]

I can't imagine any doctor (or their insurance carrier) willing to take on the liability risk involved in writing a prescription for one of these.

When I saw the picture, I first thought that it was an inhaler. Then, I thought, maybe it was a hand held defibrillator.

After reading the article, I realized it was both a ventilator AND a de-permanent-fibrillator!!!

Given the future impending demise of social security and medicare (etc...), maybe the Government has a "Dr. K. plan" for reducing the number of payouts??

Anyway, as I am getting older by the minute, if I buy one of these and fall carrying and can't get back up, don't any of you good Samaritans who find me think it is either of the above!

-ed

Cool. I want one one. I'm on Medicare, where do I pick one up?

Oh, wait a second this is ASSachusetts, we'll N-E-V-E-R see that here.

Oh yes we will. Once it's approved by Medicare, or even before, an elderly or disabled person needs to file suit against the AG under the ADA. This is an approved "recreational aid" according to the FDA. Denying it to elderly and disabled would seem to be a violation of the ADA.

Back
Top Bottom