Preparing for the season

What sort of prep are you planning on undertaking this year? I don't mean scouting, I mean YOU. Do you do anything to get in shape? How much shooting do you do, and what types? Are any of you working up new loads for a rifle or other gun?

I've been through a health nightmare of sorts this summer, which isn't over by any means. But I don't care. I have increased my weight training, and I am trying to do more for my body than I have for the last several years. Conditioning isn't my issue, mine is being about 25-30pounds overweight, which gets harder and harder to shed and keep off. Oh well, it could be worse....
My 1 and only muzzle loader is a TC Omega, blue on black, with a Leupold 1.5-5X shotgun scope on it. Its an amazingly accurate rifle which I have dialed in to about 75 yards. But, I am going to adjust it so that it shoots about 2 inches high at 100 yards, so I have some extra reach with it.
My other is a Remington 7400 in 308, that has a VXll in 2-7X on it. I purchased it used and scoped it myself, and I have taken a handful of deer with it and a moose 3 seasons ago. I am working up a couple of loads in it, one with a Speer grand slam bullet, and the other just a plain ol Hornady 180 SP round nose. I think the key to serious rifle ammunition is hand weighing each powder charge, as its a rare day I load up more than 20 rounds, usually its 10 if i am trying something new.
I've got 357 and 44 magnums, plus a 357 maximum Contender, if I choose. the latter I need another year with, developing a load for it. My health has forced me away from the stuff I like to do for most of this spring and summer.
Can't really think of much else. I may upgrade my boots this year, as I hear rubber supposedly leaves less human scent than other materials. I have been experimenting with odor control, lures, and masks for several years. I can tell you all that Code Blue standing estrous urine works very well. I've brought 2 nice bucks in with it, the trouble is they both circled around me and nailed me by getting downwind. Thats why they call them "smart"!
I benchrest to sight in (obviously) but when I practice, I shoot from all sorts of positions. Standing, kneeling, prone, leaning in to a tree or rock, even left handed sometimes (took a deer once shooting southpaw that I would never have gotten a shot at if I hadn't changed shoulders). Enough about me.

How about all of you?

The usual attempt to get in shape, get the bow sighted, get some practice, hang some stands, get the smoke pole and shotgun sighted. make sure the gear is all scent controlled up. other than that... maybe scout some spots, make sure the deer are where they are supposed to be. maybe scout some new spots.

Lot's of practioce sighting in the bow getting the stands set. I like to take about 6 arrows and throw them all over my yard and shoot from where every one lands give good situational shooting experience and I think sharpens me up good for the season. I absolutly can't wait fall is awesome hot spiked cider, hunting, football, hockey, it really is the best time of year.

Walking in the woods a couple times a week scouting, setting and moving treestands. Shooting the bow every day.

Back
Top Bottom