Predicting The Unpredictable

jmjkd

Instructor
Nobody knows when a fight is going to start: where, when, who, how many, do they have weapons, or even why the assault will happen. It's the unknown we try to prepare for. That's why many become Preppers. Combatives are no different. But how can you prep for something that is unknown?
That's the million dollar question!!!!

When developing my own system of fighting to deal with this, there was a certain criteria that had to be met:

1. The system had to be applicable in all sorts of environments like weather, rain, snow, uneven terrain, sand, rock, day/night, indoors outdoors and so forth.
2. The system had to accommodate certain clothing, equipment, and gear to be worn: packs, belts, winter clothes, boots, rain gear etc.
3. The system had to be adaptable to different people: tall, short, big, small, fast, strong, coordinated, awkward etc.
4. The system had to be able to be performed standing or on the ground, in water or swamps. Also against 1 or multiple opponents with perhaps, guns, knives, bats, bottles or improvised weapons. And it had to be performed sick, drunk, or sober.

Lots of limitations here and you never know what's going to happen. This isn't sport, this is real world where FUBAR rules.

So with everything that is unpredictable, what can we predict?

• I predict there will be movement.
• The movement will involve, pushing, pulling, twisting and torque.
• The fighting distance will fluctuate.
• There will be reoccurring elevation shift.
• The struggle will occur in and outside of center line.
• The heart rate will increase.
• The breathing will increase.
• There will be fatigue.
• Balance will be disrupted.
• Temporary darkness will occur.
• There will be noise.
• There will be confusion.

For something that can't be predicted that's a pretty good start just with theses few mentioned.

What I did at IMDC was to create training methods that would multi-task the objectives above, in other words, work and develop what “will” happen in a fight, not what “might” happen in a fight.

This concept of training saves the student hours, days and years of wondering, what if?
Not to mention all the time and $$$ spent going from school to school in search of the answers.

Back
Top Bottom