• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Precision AR build finished...

I dunno if this counts as a "build it yourself" since it's an AR, so please move if needed. Parts were all bought individually and put together.

Parts list:

- Seekins upper and lower receivers
- 20" white oak armament 1:7 twist barrel
- Seekins adjustable gas block
- Troy Alpha battle rail FF 15"
- Young super light bcg
- CMC 3.5# drop in trigger group
- Luth-AR MBA-1 Modular buttstock
- BCM gunfighter mod 3 grip
- BCM mod 4 charging handle
- Seekins ATC muzzle brake
- BCM LPK, Seekins enhanced bolt release, Odin works enhanced mag release

No sights as of yet, but I'm putting some decent glass on it, so not rushing it. BUIS will be put on at some point.

Pics were taken before the Young bcg was put in, in case someone catches the lack of chrome;) Also, excuse the shitty Winchester bipod, I just threw it on for pics.

IMG_4161.JPG IMG_4162.JPG IMG_4163.JPG

Very nice!

That is quite similar to the setup that I have planned to put on my Colt 6920 (I plan to use the Magpul stock, AIM BCG, & Geissele trigger with the White Oak upper); I would love to hear your range report for that White Oak barrel.

How heavy is the build?

Very nice!

That is quite similar to the setup that I have planned to put on my Colt 6920 (I plan to use the Magpul stock, AIM BCG, & Geissele trigger with the White Oak upper); I would love to hear your range report for that White Oak barrel.

How heavy is the build?

ty, it's a bit over 8 lbs thus far, weight was not considered at all in this build though. Can't wait to get it out, but I dunno how long it's going to be before I can afford the glass and the range i use is still snowed in, lol. I'll def. update once I get it out though.

Very nice!

How heavy is the build?

Which magpul stock are you planning on?

Any opinons on glass? I'm thinking vortex as I'm happy with the viper pst 1-4x I have and they seem to be the most bang for the buck. I've been told to get a burris xtr II, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. I'm thinking 5-6 hundo for glass. Realistically I'm only going to be shooting this at 200 yards max so I don't need crazy magnification, but I'll take what I can get.

Looks sweet. I have a Vortex on my tack driver that is 6-24 X 50. The warranty is great. Had a problem and they shipped a new one no questions asked.

Probably going to want a higher magnification than 1-4 on your precision rifle. Even if you are shooting 200 or less, generally higher magnification will help bring group sizes down. Very cool build btw

I have a Vortex 2.5-10 and I'm a huge fan. Vortex has some of the best CS I have dealt with.

Magpul PRS

I figured weight wasn't a consideration but was curious about the barrel. The lightweight BCG confused me though?

Probably going to want a higher magnification than 1-4 on your precision rifle. Even if you are shooting 200 or less, generally higher magnification will help bring group sizes down. Very cool build btw

Thank you sir. I meant that Vortex scopes have the most bang for the buck, not the 1-4x in particular. I already have a Vortex 1-4x on a carbine that I'm happy with so I'm considering sticking with Vortex. I'm looking for magnification on this one, I was just saying I don't need 24x.

I have a Vortex 2.5-10 and I'm a huge fan. Vortex has some of the best CS I have dealt with.

Magpul PRS

I figured weight wasn't a consideration but was curious about the barrel. The lightweight BCG confused me though?

The lightweight bcg is for recoil reduction, coupled with the adjustable gas block, I should be able to minimize it quite a bit. I know recoil isn't something people are usually concerned with on a precision gun, but I like to tinker and whatnot and figured I'd see what it could do, and if I was going to have a finicky AR, I'd prefer it be this one, not one I depend on to run.

The barrel is 3.4 lbs.

It's this one... http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17938&cat=312&page=1

Last edited:
Also, i was asking which magpul because the one I put on this is a rip off of the PRS, same kind of adjustments, but it's only like 130 bucks or so, rather than 240. It's pretty solid, doesn't feel cheap, I'm happy with it. I think the magpul looks better, but not $110 better. I already have retarded $ into this thing.

Last edited:
Also, i was asking which magpul because the one I put on this is a rip off of the PRS, same kind of adjustments, but it's only like 130 bucks or so, rather than 240. It's pretty solid, doesn't feel cheap, I'm happy with it. I think the magpul looks better, but not $110 better. I already have retarded $ into this thing.

Yeah I've looked at that stock but I'm a bit of a Magpul fanboy...
The White Oak upper I was looking at is only $685 and I already have the 6920 with Geissele trigger installed so the $200 for the stock wasn't as much of an issue for me.

The Vortex 2.5-10 I have is more than enough for 200 yards but if I were going out further or shooting for groups I would want more.

I will be shooting for groups, but I'm under the impression that there is such a thing as too much magnification for doing so.... how high would you want to go? 18, 24?

I will be shooting for groups, but I'm under the impression that there is such a thing as too much magnification for doing so.... how high would you want to go? 18, 24?

What happened you couldn't get another 6" on that FF tube! Nice looking gun. I know nothing of proper X for scopes. I have a old school gen 1 vxIII standard 3030 reticle 2.5x8X I generally use SR targets when shooting my "varmint" build. The black bull fits nice in the heavy posts of the crosshairs. The center crosshair will cover the X .
I have a Hawke scope with 24x and I find it almost useless past 16. Field of view is next to nothing @ 200 yards and it picks up every movement in the crosshairs. I find myself using 10-12X. The crosshairs and dots are to big for anything short of minute of coyote.

My next scope is going to be a "target" scope....nice thin crosshairs (as thin as I can see) same focal plane reticle. Limited if any additional holdover hashes or mil dots.
I made the mistake of looking through some high end glass late last year.
March 10x60 with nice super clean and fine crosshair....to much for me but darn it makes it hard looking at lesser scopes! Im leaning towards fine hairs and 1/8moa .... ? That's after I finish my M1 build though.

Last edited:
What happened you couldn't get another 6" on that FF tube! Nice looking gun. I know nothing of proper X for scopes. I have a old school gen 1 vxIII standard 3030 reticle 2.5x8X I generally use SR targets when shooting my "varmint" build. The black bull fits nice in the heavy posts of the crosshairs. The center crosshair will cover the X .

Trust me, if they made em, it would have it, lol. Thanks.

Last edited:
btw, if anyone does a build with this barrel... if you get an adjustable gas block, don't get the seekins. It's made well but the locking bolt (that holds your adjustment in place) is in a terrible place, the barrel diameter gets bigger right at the gas block and covers access to it. I had to cut down an allen wrench to make sort of a custom tool to get around it.

Thank you sir. I meant that Vortex scopes have the most bang for the buck, not the 1-4x in particular. I already have a Vortex 1-4x on a carbine that I'm happy with so I'm considering sticking with Vortex. I'm looking for magnification on this one, I was just saying I don't need 24x.

oh I'm sorry I misread that

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope

That would be my choice. You can still shoot 50 yards at 4x and 16x will let you get nice groups at 200 yards. Tactical knobs don't mean $#!t to me but they may to you. $0.02

EDIT: You can look at the AR thread and ask SJan what he thinks of his since he just posted a similar build minutes ago.

i have this one, first focal plane
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44562.aspx

nice. they have some neat ones on there.
im thinking about the following 2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/If-You-Hear...207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e23ecf7
and this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/If-You-Run-...803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6df2485b
I never thought of custom covers. thanks. a neat way to customize my rifles

Those are funny. I bought this for the wife's SBR:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KH9QCEC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom