Preban Magazine Identification

Just wanted to put together a post with some resources identifying pre and post-ban mags. Figured it'd be good to just have them all in one place so that I don't have to keep looking and might help other people too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090209204346/http://www.fulton-armory.com/ARMags.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/2009021...2008/10/preban-ar-15-magazine-identification/
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/rawlesfaq.html
http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm

Typically brands that are good
Colt
Adventure Line
Parsons
Okay
Universal

Not sure if I should post this here, but recently (like yesterday) on GB I saw 40 round mags with “Colt Industries “ floorplates and green Magpul style followers. Claimed these were prebans new in the package from Colt. These have to be preban, right?

Point being, don’t believe everything you read.

Dave

My 2cents, and that is all it is worth:

Tier 1 (definitely pre ban)
- Adventure Line
- Parsons
- Simmonds
- Imperial
- DSL / Sanchez
- Center Industries with external date stamps
- Colt with "62667" stamped on the body
- Chinese drum mags

Tier 2 (probably pre ban)
- Colt with no stamps on the body
- Okay with internal stamps (gets confusing)
- Labelle
- FN w/ black follower
- Bushmaster (ME w/ Black follower)

Tier 3 (definitely not pre ban)
- Anything stamped after 9/94
- Anything stamped Restricted

I am sure I forgot a few. Not sure where Thermold fits in the lineup

Last edited:
I 💋 Parson, Simmonds, Sanchez and Adventure Line 20-rounders. Great, dependable mags...

Now if only someone would have posted Stickies on this exact question?

Sadly nobody ever looks for info in Stickies . . . or even posts in the correct sub-forum (this belongs in Mass Gun Laws, not General as non-MA folks could care less).

Admittedly I post this sort of stuff in my paid sub-forum since I can lock the thread to avoid making people read 600 irrelevant posts to get the "meat" in the thread.

Now if only someone would have posted Stickies on this exact question?

Sadly nobody ever looks for info in Stickies . . . or even posts in the correct sub-forum (this belongs in Mass Gun Laws, not General as non-MA folks could care less).

Admittedly I post this sort of stuff in my paid sub-forum since I can lock the thread to avoid making people read 600 irrelevant posts to get the "meat" in the thread.
New NES member that is just trying to contribute. He obviously put some time and effort into his post and I found it quite informative.

I can see correcting someone for making the same mistake over and over, but with a new guy that is trying to break in maybe he should get cut some slack.

But what do I know, I haven’t spent half my life on this message board.

If you're at the point in the process where you're defending yourself in court for having post-ban magazines, you've got bigger problems...

Lately there's been a rash of bullshit though WRT things like 209As and circumstantial prosecutions based off that, it only takes one douche PD to do it....

-Mike

If you're at the point in the process where you're defending yourself in court for having post-ban magazines, you've got bigger problems...
Lately there's been a rash of bullshit though WRT things like 209As and circumstantial prosecutions based off that, it only takes one douche PD to do it....

-Mike
Or perhaps something as stupid as you pass out and 911 comes and you have a pre-ban mag on the counter and a "helpful" LEO that comes with the ambulance happens to take an interest in it.

Hence, THE BIGGER PROBLEM.......aka Police State.
The MSP patrol my road twice a day as it is a dead end dirt road that becomes a trail down to the Reservoir. I have gotten to know some of them, some good guys, some not so much. Quite often I have an AR (in a hard case) strapped to the rack of my 4-wheeler coming back from the sand pit behind my house. Not ONE of them has ever asked to look inside my rifle case. They often ask for ID if they do not know me and I provide my LTC. After that it’s “have a nice day” Once I was asked "what are you shooting today just out of curiosity". I opened the case pulled out an AR with a pre ban High Capacity mag sitting next to it, the only comment I got was “nice rifle".

-Mike
Exactly. A constable was bumped for a preban Glock mag. Be warned.

Otherwise known as "bigger problems". The high capacity magazine is never the magnet, it is something else stupid.
A 209a though normally doesn't result in a felony charge.... big difference

The MSP patrol my road twice a day as it is a dead end dirt road that becomes a trail down to the Reservoir. I have gotten to know some of them, some good guys, some not so much. Quite often I have an AR (in a hard case) strapped to the rack of my 4-wheeler coming back from the sand pit behind my house. Not ONE of them has ever asked to look inside my rifle case. They often ask for ID if they do not know me and I provide my LTC. After that it’s “have a nice day” Once I was asked "what are you shooting today just out of curiosity". I opened the case pulled out an AR with a pre ban High Capacity mag sitting next to it, the only comment I got was “nice rifle".

Good story......but for every one like this, there's a hundred who got screwed over some petty bullshit.

Here in Kentucky, they wouldn't even ask for an ID ( unless they were looking for someone specific due to a complaint) its constitutional carry here now but even before that they wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom