"Pre-Ban" mags in Mass

PatMcD

NES Member
I've asked this question twice over in the classifieds as a reply to a WTB, but it keeps getting deleted.
QUESTION: what makes a AR mag "pre-ban" in MA? Do USGI 20's and 30's count?

The mag just has to have been made before 9/94, in order for it to be
preban.

If the mags are genuine USGI there is often a date code on them.
For instance, I have some Okay industries mags that have a 1991 date
code on them, and they're preban.

Note that, not all AR mags have date stamps. This means the mags
could have been made at virtually any time. It's up to you to determine
(by some method) when you think the mags were made and wether or
not they're preban. In some cases all you really have is the word of
the person selling them to you.

-Mike

This should give you a rough idea of how to distinguish most pre-ban mags from post-ban mags...

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm#2ae

Avoid any mags marked "FOR LEO/MILITARY/ GOV'T/EXPORT USE ONLY", or mags manufactured after 9/13/2004.

D&H Industries seems to be the #1 manufacturer of post 9/13/2004 mags and are not legal in MA.

Am I to uderstand pre-ban mags are hard to come by down there?? Christ, they are all over the place up here. Is there any law against me selling these mags to somebody down there?

Am I to uderstand pre-ban mags are hard to come by down there?? Christ, they are all over the place up here. Is there any law against me selling these mags to somebody down there?

There is absolutely NO law against selling pre-ban mags to a Massachusetts citizen who has the appropriate license, that is a Class A LTC. In fact I would be interested in some G17, G19, and G21 FML mags if you have any lying around. Some 20-round AR-15 mags would also interest me.

edited to add:

The following link will give you the best information we currently have which identifies pre- and post-ban Glock magazines. But if you read the thread (long!) you will see that the way Massachusetts has written it's laws and the refusal of Glock to present any definitive guidance makes this a very murky issue.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4944

Last edited:
Be careful with what you think are unmarked mags. There are lots of indicators as to the production date of mags, such as the material of the follower, it's color, the bend in the spring, flat base plate versus bent...little things that COULD get you in trouble.

While it may be more expensive to get real PRE-BAN mags, the difference is worth it to me to stay within the law.

Gee, Frosty, I had no idea you had to have a Class A LTC to lawfully own large capacity rifle or shotgun magazines in MA.

Time for an edit!

I thought he was talking about pistol mags.

Unlike some people here I can admit when I made a misteak. [smile]

Be careful with what you think are unmarked mags. There are lots of indicators as to the production date of mags, such as the material of the follower, it's color, the bend in the spring, flat base plate versus bent...little things that COULD get you in trouble.

While it may be more expensive to get real PRE-BAN mags, the difference is worth it to me to stay within the law.

Four Seasons sells the mags I was referring to.

And there is no law that tells you that you CAN repair your mags. MA is murky as all get out on this issue. It would be up to you to prove that the mag is legal if challenged. That said, I still wouldn't hesitate for a second to change out AR followers for the green ones, or replace springs with Wolff springs.

It is NOT true (for MA) that "unmarked new mags" are OK! If you really believe that, please show me (in MA LAW) where it says that "banned mags" must be marked? [This was true in the Fed Regs during the Fed ban, but MA did NOT adopt the Fed Regs only the text of Fed Law.]

Wrt C-Products . . . does anyone know if they were actually in business making AR mags prior to 9/13/94? I never heard of them in any of the writings about who the AR mag mfrs were back during the Fed Ban! [So, for instance, if C-Products didn't make AR mags (not saying so, since I do not know) before 9/13/94, possession of same would be prima fascia evidence of a MA Felony!]

It is NOT true (for MA) that "unmarked new mags" are OK! If you really believe that, please show me (in MA LAW) where it says that "banned mags" must be marked? [This was true in the Fed Regs during the Fed ban, but MA did NOT adopt the Fed Regs only the text of Fed Law.]

Wrt C-Products . . . does anyone know if they were actually in business making AR mags prior to 9/13/94? I never heard of them in any of the writings about who the AR mag mfrs were back during the Fed Ban! [So, for instance, if C-Products didn't make AR mags (not saying so, since I do not know) before 9/13/94, possession of same would be prima fascia evidence of a MA Felony!]

Your trying to educate the wrong person LenS,talk to your buddies at Four Seasons.They are selling new C-Products mags as "pre-ban" for $20 a pop.

Personally,I wouldn't buy them for that price because IF I wanted a C-Products,I would get them directly from the manufacturer for $10 each.But I don't want to take the chance that a knowledgable LEO would look at the floorplate and arrest me or something.

My only problem is that given all the new AR owners out there,the lack of knowledge regarding MA AWB laws, probably bought mags from Four Seasons not knowing that they in fact bought a newly manufactured mag.

Greg, I hear you! I do suspect that you are right, but I asked in a forum (not sure if it was NES or elsewhere) if anyone had ever heard of C-Products prior to 9/13/94 and never received any answer to that question.

I know of the company (big group buy on ARfcom, which resulted in my purchasing 15 true pre-ban mags from someone replacing them with C-Products mags), but don't know anything about the history of the company.

Thus, I'm not about to spout off to Carl or anyone else when I am not 100% certain that I am correct!

I am well aware that distributors are LYING to MA Dealers about the status of mags . . . left, right and sideways! End result is that someone will probably "go away". Personally I want to concentrate some effort in convincing the right people that the mag ban "has to go" instead! I know that I don't have a snowball's chance in hell, but I'd still like to give that a try, citing the difficulties in "going straight" on this issue no matter how hard you try!

If the distributors are lying, and both the dealer and the consumers are under the impression that the product they are buying is infact pre-ban, would'nt that remove liability of the consumer(s)? I have purchased pre-ban mags before from gun shops. I always make sure I have a reciept stating "pre-ban" magazine listed as the purchase. I know it won't cover 100%, but it will at reinforce my intended compliance with the law. But then again I am a shrink and not a lawyer.

The part that the notation won't cover is the prison sentence you'd have to serve if that was wrong!

Seriously, a jury trial might acquit (jury nullification) based on your every attempt to do the right thing. But it is a pretty big risk for 10 or 20 extra rounds. LOTS of mil-spec KNOWN pre-ban AR mags out there so for me it does NOT pay to play with fire!

Has anyone in MA been prosecuted for an unmarked post-ban magazine used in an otherwise legal firearm?

Don't count on _any_ cop to get it right.A friend of mine was told by his local Chief of Police that it was lawful for him to have the mags for a pistol purchased from an officer on the department even though they are marked LE/Mil.I told him that since the only cops he'd ever have to worry about are the one that sold him the pistol and the Chief to not lose sleep,but he'd be best off to exchange the mags for pre-bans post haste.

I bought a bunch of those marginal Taiwanese AR mags at Four Seasons when they were on sale a while back and some undetermined maker ( Malaysian military I've been told? ) Beretta 92 mags.I took it that if they're selling them,they're good to go.I have seen new high capacity 10-22 mags clearly marked on the package as to not for sale in MA,CA,NJ at another shop in MA-it takes an even dumber man than I to touch that one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom