Pre-ban ar15 in Mass questions...

LR308_GNR

NES Member
Is it legal to use Post-ban high cap mags in a Pre-ban ar15?

I want to build a Pre-ban SBR ar15, and I really don't feel like hunting down Pre-ban mags for this rifle. What are my options?

Thanks

I have to assume you're located in MA, so the answer is no. Your options are post ban non-high capacity mags, or hunt down preban high capacity ones...it's not difficult. Carl sells them at Four Seasons, and you can always find them on either Gunbroker or AR15.com in the Classifieds.

I know it's been covered somewhere but I have a baby in my hands so I'll give you the short answer.

No. As an ordinary citizen you are not allowed to possess AWB magazines (those that have the restricted markings) or post-ban high capacity magazines. Regardless of the age of your firearm.

Do a search of these forums for "high capacity magaznes" and you will see some of the discussion about this.

I was thinking of a build more along the lines of 6.8spc, and in that caliber G.I. mag don't function reliably. I was hoping that I would be able to use some Cproducts SS mags procured from another state, as Pre-ban 6.8spc mag do not exist.

Here's the link for you...A good friend sent it to me once.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

It doesn't necessarily say what we CAN do, but it says what we CAN'T do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom