Practical application of Appleseed instruction

Having attending several shoots and achieved Rifleman I temporarily put Appleseed events on the back burner due to hunting season - between work, ducks, deer and life I am stretched pretty thinly in the fall.

This past weekend found me out in the deer woods and often being barked at by various tree rodents...

Yesterday before we packed it all up for the weekend I borrowed my buddy's .22 bolt gun and went for a walk, hoping to make my blind quieter next weekend.

Those squirrels are as cagey as the deer when they know you're after them. The closest stalk I could manage was 10 yards, then they spooked and took off. I was in an open field and decided to sit for a bit and wait for the return.

I spotted movement 40 yds off and verified it was Ratty McBarkington - I quickly hit the prone position and managed a quick shot (hit). All the practice and drills paid off!

Now here's the funny part - I laid there and critiqued my shooting position - no leg up, slight angle to target, good support/sling, NPOA and good trigger position/control. Aside from the leg up I had good position - seems it all stuck. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom