Power is on the carry menu boys, Springfield introduces the 10mm XD-M ELITE 3.8" COMPACT OSP W/ HEX DRAGONFLY

i kinda like what i see there, like the form factor - what i do not understand is the business decision to make it default in 11(eleven) rd magazines, and from what i can see on a web page there are no 10rd magazines for that gun, at all.

i kinda like what i see there, like the form factor - what i do not understand is the business decision to make it default in 11(eleven) rd magazines, and from what i can see on a web page there are no 10rd magazines for that gun, at all.
I have never owned a Springfield other than a few 1911 based pistols, the form does look nice on this pistol. Is it legal to only load 10 rounds or somehow block a mag if you are in a restricted state?

I always thought they were in Springfield, as in Springfield Mass, the Springfield Armory and all. I was going to say they have to make a 10 round mag for their home state. I didn't know they were an Illinois company.

The gun industry now possesses the technology to make guns that are nearly unshootable in a defensive situation.

The Kahr PM40 was first. I don't know anyone who can shoot one without it shifting in the hand requiring a re-grip.

If you can't shoot it fast and with reasonable accuracy, you are better off with something less powerful.

20 years ago I had the chance to try the G26 (9mm) and G27 (.40) before I bought one of them.
What I discovered was that inside 15 ft, I could shoot the G26 about as fast as I could squeeze the trigger and pretty much keep all the shots inside an IDPA's "-0" area. With a few close by in the "-1" area.

I wasn't even close with the 27 when trying to shoot the same speed. To get the hits I had to slow down substantially with the 27.

When you consider that modern research shows that shot placement is truly king, you realize that you carry a gun you shoot well.

If you are strong and skilled enough to shoot subcompact 10mm well, then great. But its going to be a very small minority that can do that.

Note that its not about being able to "take" the recoil. I can take the recoil. It just takes longer to get the gun back on target.

With bullets Like Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator that turn the 9mm into a penetration machine, I wonder what the real use of this is even on things like bears. Would you rather get 1 hit with a 10mm or 3 hits with a 9mm capable of penetrating as deep as any 10mm?

I always thought they were in Springfield, as in Springfield Mass, the Springfield Armory and all. I was going to say they have to make a 10 round mag for their home state. I didn't know they were an Illinois company.
The original Springfield Armory, in Springfield MA - was a US Government armory that made firearms for the military from the 1700s until its closure in 1968. The company Springfield Armory brilliantly stole that name and plays off the confusion.

And Franklin Mint makes quarters. ;)

It happens a lot in firearms industry. Taking an "old" name to suit you. Frankford Armory and Frankford Arsenal. Stuff like that.

They did the same thing with the hellcat when it came out. 11 rounders and no 10 rounders.

Is it legal to only load 10 rounds or somehow block a mag if you are in a restricted state?
i wish it was 'legal' - on the 'honor scout' factor to only load 10 into a 30rd mags in here! :)
no, you`ve got to have 10rd mags not to have unnecessary headaches. i know some will say just get any mag - and it would probably be OK for an 11rd one - but, well. pita.

The original Springfield Armory, in Springfield MA - was a US Government armory that made firearms for the military from the 1700s until its closure in 1968. The company Springfield Armory brilliantly stole that name and plays off the confusion.

Made in South America ?

11 rds is probably incidental to the size they already had for the 14rd 9mm mag tube. But then the question is why 14rds instead of 15 to compete with the industry standard compact, G19?

I have the Kimber target II long slide in 10mm and that's a lot of energy for a cartridge. it shoots very well in a heavier 1911 platform, but NO WAY would I want a polymer chassis 10mm defensive gun.

I have the Kimber target II long slide in 10mm and that's a lot of energy for a cartridge. it shoots very well in a heavier 1911 platform, but NO WAY would I want a polymer chassis 10mm defensive gun.

Lol spoken by someone whose never fired a G20 or a G29 etc. It's not as bad as you think it is, the flex of the frame sucks up a lot of the juice.

Lol spoken by someone whose never fired a G20 or a G29 etc. It's not as bad as you think it is, the flex of the frame sucks up a lot of the juice.
old habits die slowly - it is 2021 and people still cannot make themselves to trust a properly made polymer frame. G20 - introduced in 1991. still not enough time, apparently.

I wonder at what point the added weight from added capacity negates the point in a carry gun. Manufacturers have gotten good at cutting the bulk down in clever ways to increase capacity in small guns, but that doesn't do too much to negate the weight of the added cartridges themselves after a certain point of diminishing returns.

10mm seems way too snappy and harsh for a small carry gun. .357 mag out of a snubby is hard on the hands. I can't imagine 11 rounds of 10mm out of a small polymer gun is going to be too comfortable. The muzzle flash and potential for getting burned by unburnt powder spraying out the barrel isn't great in a defensive situation either.

no but I own a close enough G22 and that's a snappy recoiling platform. Not a fan of .40+ Glocks as recreational shooters.

no but I own a close enough G22 and that's a snappy recoiling platform. Not a fan of .40+ Glocks as recreational shooters.

In the words of Tucker Carlson, "No, it's not"

It's not even on the same planet.

110% wrong, garbage assumption. [laugh]

A G22, G23, G27 is based off a narrowbody glock platform. The slide mass alone isn't even in the same universe.

Shooting a G29 or a G30 is an entirely different experience from a narrowbody Glock in .40.

Back
Top Bottom