• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder Availability

I'm pretty sure that guy f***ed himself with that stunt. I saw that jug of Varget and said "I'll never buy anything from this douchebag". I think a lot of people said the same thing.
You would like to think the Camp Perry crowd is somewhat "family" and one brother helping another brother in need , guess that was not the case with the now famous "Varget Guy" .

Stopped in a small LGS this week and asked about powder.
They were busy and told me to go out back and look for myself. :cool:
I was completely stoked to see the SR4759, the 4350 was a bonus.
Was hoping to find some IMR4227 but the 4759 has a close burn rate.
I know SR4759 was discontinued years ago but it's a good cast bullet rifle powder.
View attachment 638439
So I spent the $425.00
Al's in Derry ?

You would like to think the Camp Perry crowd is somewhat "family" and one brother helping another brother in need , guess that was not the case with the now famous "Varget Guy" .
I've been going for quite a few years now, and that was the first time I had ever seen him. He seemed like just a regular "Gun Show" guy looking to make a buck, which is the wrong attitude at Camp Perry. Most all of the other vendors are there to provide a service to shooters; parts, components, trinkets , etc. Lots of cash in pockets roaming Commercial Road, and they/we are willing to buy almost anything, but a deliberate screwing like that Varget is a slap in the face.

I've been going for quite a few years now, and that was the first time I had ever seen him. He seemed like just a regular "Gun Show" guy looking to make a buck, which is the wrong attitude at Camp Perry. Most all of the other vendors are there to provide a service to shooters; parts, components, trinkets , etc. Lots of cash in pockets roaming Commercial Road, and they/we are willing to buy almost anything, but a deliberate screwing like that Varget is a slap in the face.
First time to Perry and generally an awesome experience, but slightly creepy gun show guy trying to price gouge was a lowlight and gave a negative impression of commercial row. Seemed that last year was a 'down' year for vendors given the post-covid supplies and labor shortages. Didn't see any reasonable deals on powder, though the 'Games' events were at the very end of Nationals so anything decent could have been bought out.

Probably as good of a thread as any to post this:

I see a lot of negative comments on the usual forums about 2520 that it doesn't deserve being promoted as the 'Camp Perry Powder' etc. I have no idea who was the marketing numbskull who cooked that moniker up, but at least for 308 it has run fantastic for me gaining great scores + it has much better availability than Varget. It is now what I run in my M14 service rifle. With 2520 and 155 TMK's I cleaned my first slow prone stage I ever shot at Perry in usual conditions (hot A-F and heavy wind) and shot something like a 98-4X in rapids. I say let the internet jackwads poke fun at this powder- helps with availability.

A buddy who is out there right now for pistol said there is no powder. Or anything popular, that is.
powders are back online now in july - i saw almost all brands to appear from time to time at all the usual merchants. the dry season was from beginning of february to mid june somewhat.

powders are back online now in july - i saw almost all brands to appear from time to time at all the usual merchants. the dry season was from beginning of february to mid june somewhat.
Somebody please wake me up when Varget is available (for less than $650 per jug). [devil]

82202015847-h40o2r6eey-rip-van-winkle-1.jpg

Yes, but the best thing about buying powder and primers out at Camp Perry is the avoidance of the hazmat and shipping fees.

Somebody please wake me up when Varget is available (for less than $650 per jug). [devil]

last one i got on 3/21/22:
Hodgdon Varget Smokeless Rifle Powder (1 lb or 8 lbs) - HODGDON VARGET 8#1$285.00

i saw it after that at least twice, but i was more than 20lbs into it, so, did not need more. now i am at much less, so, may buy another 8lb jug if i will see it.

PS. just checked last price at the shooting bot - shameless ram sells same 8lb jug for $348.99, last stock time was 193 days ago. valley last stock 41 days ago, $287.00

Last edited:

You burn through all that already?!?!?

JFC dude, lol.

I guess not everyone has had a relationship fall apart and moved 200 miles away in the past year. I honestly can’t wait to get my reloading bench set up again, but other things keep getting in the way.

You burn through all that already?!?!?

JFC dude, lol.

I guess not everyone has had a relationship fall apart and moved 200 miles away in the past year. I honestly can’t wait to get my reloading bench set up again, but other things keep getting in the way.
I used up about a jug last year and am down to 1 full plus a partial. I started getting nervous (LOL sort of) when down to only a partial. Having 9-10 milsurp and modern match rifles to feed, mostly in .30-06 and a couple in .308 drinks up a lot of powder. I used a few .223 loads in Varget as well when my Benchmark started getting thin. As mentioned, I've already shifted the .308 to 2520 loads. I've been mixing in some of the 'factory' Creedmoor ammo too, which has helped to conserve the powder a bit. I bought several cases at Camp Perry last summer. Was going to buy a couple, but Mrs. Mountain had joined me at the North Store and asked why was I not buying more?

I try to stay a couple seasons ahead on supplies.

We should get together at one of the monthly Perry matches and give the locals some hell. IIRC those matches are on electronic targets. Talladega would be awesome too.

Stopped in a small LGS this week and asked about powder.
They were busy and told me to go out back and look for myself. :cool:
I was completely stoked to see the SR4759, the 4350 was a bonus.
Was hoping to find some IMR4227 but the 4759 has a close burn rate.
I know SR4759 was discontinued years ago but it's a good cast bullet rifle powder.
View attachment 638439
So I spent the $425.00
Holy sh*t you found 4759. Amazing.

Lot# date code is 01-15-14.
Probably one of the last 8#'s packaged as the SR line was canceled in 03/14
I was pretty surprised to see it.
I am pretty sure you found the last 8lbs left in stock in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom