Potentially fatal shooting @ BGRA

I have this recollection that the club used to be at the intersection of Dorchester Ave and Adams St next to St. Ambrose church. Or maybe that was a different club?

I grew up between Fields Corner and Codman Square, parallel to Park Street. Basically due west of Faulkner Street. But I hung out around Fields Corner and Lucky Strike Lanes.

you were closer than me, i was a mile northeast of there. always thought it was on Dot ave, and the address shows dot ave @ faulkner. either way, i have not, and will ever be shooting at a club in fields corner [mg]

MFL went to a no rental to a single individual a while back after a couple of unfortunate incidents.

Groups.... sure, but individuals nope

This is the standard, insurance companies require public ranges to not let a non-gun owner shoot alone if I remember correctly.
MFS requires you either have an LTC or are with an LTC holder. They are perfectly willing to provide individual training to a non-LTC holder at an hourly rate.
Granite State requires that a lone person, who does not own their own gun, provide someone they can, and will, call who will say they are not crazy. It can be anyone willing to say so.

BGRA only allows members to shoot alone. Everyone else, must be a licensed guest, or otherwise accompanied by an instructor. There's always an RSO in the building. Every policy they have is set up to prevent something like this from happening. Either a member tried to do themselves in or someone attempted to do themselves in front of an instructor whom is now probably a wreck. I don't think BGRA ever had a suicide since they opened in the 1970s.

MFS requires you either have an LTC or are with an LTC holder. They are perfectly willing to provide individual training to a non-LTC holder at an hourly rate.
Granite State requires that a lone person, who does not own their own gun, provide someone they can, and will, call who will say they are not crazy. It can be anyone willing to say so.

Got my training done at MFS so that I'm aware of, actually going there tomorrow for the free range day. [smile]

Thanks for the info!

The public range near me won't rent to a single person unless they already own guns as a method to try to prevent this. Although to be fair with the double one at Bob's, it's obviously not a fool-proof policy.
In NH how do you prove they are a gun owner? Manchester firing line for example.....how would they prove someone is a gun owner before renting a gun to them? Just a question.

Bobs by the way ....when the double happened.....they were renting to anyone but you had to have 2 people in the group. If you were alone.....ltc holder only. Just a driver license for proof of age if you were there to rent with 2 people. They changed that policy to ltc holders only after that double suicide. I went there one time when I was between clubs......before all the changes in policy. That place was a shit show. Full of 20 somethings renting "nines" and showing off to their ho bag girlfriends. No safety moniters at all.

In NH how do you prove they are a gun owner?

Bobs by the way ....when the double happened.....they were renting to anyone. Just a driver license for proof of age. They changed that policy to ltc holders only after that one. I went there one time when I was between clubs......before the change. That place was a shit show. Full of 20 somethings renting "nines" and showing off to their ho bag girlfriends. No safety moniters at all.
If I recall the local place requires you actually bring a gun with you to demonstrate ownership.

I went to Bob's twice before I got a private range membership. It was...a place that tested your situational awareness...I do recall a man yelling at his female companion (wife, girlfriend?) about something, before he picked up the rented pistol and mag dumped into a silhouette target. Another time when someone was quite far behind the firing line.

If I recall the local place requires you actually bring a gun with you to demonstrate ownership.

I went to Bob's twice before I got a private range membership. It was...a place that tested your situational awareness...I do recall a man yelling at his female companion (wife, girlfriend?) about something, before he picked up the rented pistol and mag dumped into a silhouette target. Another time when someone was quite far behind the firing line.
That one time I went......a guy to my right was loading a pistol at the back table then turned around to move to the firing line and swept me with a loaded gun. I did yell at him....loudly. the guy walked outside and told the clerk. Clerk came in and told me not to be so loud. I packed up and left.

I have heard things have changed there for the better though. They keep a closer eye on people.

Some rental ranges are much better than others. I went to one down in Virginia with my bil a few years ago. Any rented guns were cleared in front of you and then they put the gun in a case and handed it to you and we were told not to take the gun out till we got to the firing line. Only one rented gun at a time per lane.
They had 10 lanes and 2 safety officers in there at all times watching. They were very intent on watching what folks were doing but not "intrusive". At a public rental range where folks may have no experience that's the way it should be.

I have this recollection that the club used to be at the intersection of Dorchester Ave and Adams St next to St. Ambrose church. Or maybe that was a different club?

I grew up between Fields Corner and Codman Square, parallel to Park Street. Basically due west of Faulkner Street. But I hung out around Fields Corner and Lucky Strike Lanes.

How many moons ago???

My grand folk lived off of Elmer Rd between Adams & Dot. Spent many a'summer there. Even back then it wasn't considered completely "safe." IIRC, my incredibly racist grandfather called the Field's Corner train "The African Queen."

In NH how do you prove they are a gun owner? Manchester firing line for example.....how would they prove someone is a gun owner before renting a gun to them? Just a question.
Granite State requires that a lone person, who does not own bring their own gun, provide someone they can, and will, call who will say they are not crazy. It can be anyone willing to say so.

FACTS:

The BGRA entrance is on Faulkner Street. The mailing address is Dorchester Ave where there is a door to the club but it is not accessible.

BGRA does not rent firearms. To anyone.

Firearms are provided to students taking the BPS course for the live fire portion of the class. They are closely supervised.

Firearms are provided to customers who make a reservation with the Public Shooters Program for a one hour shooting session with 50 rounds of ammo. They must be over 18 and provide a valid picture i.d. They are closely supervised by a certified instructor throughout their session. The instructor stands on their shoulder at all times. The instructor maintains control of the firearm until they actually put it in the hands of the guest to shoot. Current policy is that only groups of 2 or more are allowed.

LTC holders who are not a member of the club must also make a reservation and are charged a fee. They must be supervised by an instructor though not as closely once the instructor is comfortable with their gun handling skills. Thus, the price is higher than at some gun rental facilities, for non-member ltc holders to shoot at the club because an instructor must be present.

Members are not allowed to bring a non ltc holder to shoot. If they do, the members guest is automatically considered a Public Shooter and an instructor must be present at all times.

BGRA is 100% lead free. This includes the primers. Just frangible ammo is not enough.

Waivers must be signed by everyone.

This was tragic and there was nothing that could have been done differently to prevent it. The collateral damage to this persons' family and to the staff is immense. No staff was physically injured however the psychological trauma will be long lasting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom