Potentially deploying in June... what should I make sure I bring with me??

Just so everyone knows I will be getting addy's from all that are deploying so we can send letters and care packages,or other items they need. So once I get the addy's you all can PM me for the info.[grin]

I dont smoke.... will that still be a good thing to bring LOL

Yea. Sometimes it can be. You'll want the more unusual blends though such as Camel Turkish Gold or Marlboro Blend No. 27. There's money to be made from those who love them and don't have them.

On field ops, the non-smokers would charge $10 a pack once everyone ran out.

Depends on which base you're going to be at too. If you're going to Afghan, it'll be easier to make cash than in Iraq now (since we're settled in).

My buds who have been there and back said baby wipes were like gold if you spend any time outside the wire.

Play it cool and have a safe deployment!

Yea. Sometimes it can be. You'll want the more unusual blends though such as Camel Turkish Gold or Marlboro Blend No. 27. There's money to be made from those who love them and don't have them.

On field ops, the non-smokers would charge $10 a pack once everyone ran out.

Depends on which base you're going to be at too. If you're going to Afghan, it'll be easier to make cash than in Iraq now (since we're settled in).

I dont know about that one. Every AAFES is loaded with cigarettes, dip and other forms of tobacco, its their #1 seller. They offer most blends through AAFES. The prices are also much cheaper, due to the fact they are not taxed. Camel lights run you about $2.65. Their straight from the states. Hajji also offers different brands, but avoid their American cigarettes, even though they are cheaper, they taste like absolute shit; you get what you paid for. They run about $1 a pack, European smokes are $.50 a pack. Even remote locations you'll still have access. I was in a pretty remote place and they flew/ trucked out the essentials to the FOB AAFES. Since your not going to be out in the bush dont worry about it, plus there's no reason to f*** your buddy.

Last edited:
No one likes a blue falcon. Also, I don't smoke either, but I do enjoy a good cigar. Bringing a few with you in a little humidor could come in handy for various celebratory situations that may arise.

I dont know about that one. Every AAFES is loaded with cigarettes, dip and other forms of tobacco, its their #1 seller. They offer most blends through AAFES. The prices are also much cheaper, due to the fact they are not taxed. Camel lights run you about $2.65. Their straight from the states. Hajji also offers different brands, but avoid their American cigarettes, even though they are cheaper, they taste like absolute shit; you get what you paid for. They run about $1 a pack, European smokes are $.50 a pack. Even remote locations you'll still have access. I was in a pretty remote place and they flew/ trucked out the essentials to the FOB AAFES. Since your not going to be out in the bush dont worry about it, plus there's no reason to f*** your buddy.

They never have Blend 27. Not even in Japan. Nor Turkish golds.

I guess it depends on what your MOS is as well. If you're going to be knee deep in the shit out in the field, it's a good idea. If you're at an established base, maybe not so much so. I always ended up in some area where once I ran out I'd end up buying the local stuff which tasted like dried grass.

AAFES only sells the major sellers anyway. Marb reds, light, menthol, menthol light, Camel lights, hard pack, and menthol, and then various other brands.

No one likes a blue falcon. Also, I don't smoke either, but I do enjoy a good cigar. Bringing a few with you in a little humidor could come in handy for various celebratory situations that may arise.

Hmm. Had'nt thought of that. Could be a good idea.

Heh, maybe it was more of an infantry thing with the smokes.

Hes going to serve, not run a business. The whole notion of selling cigarettes for profit, and f***ing your buddy is by far the stupidest thing I've heard all week. I have bought 27s in the IZ, and in Kirkuk they have had Turkish gold, and Jade time to time, also the Camel Crushes. I have a real problem with people taking advantage of soldiers, or soldiers f***ing soldiers for personal gain. It goes against every value instilled from initial entry training, I'm sure its safe to say across the services. I know If I had a soldier that was doing this I would SLAM him with UCMJ. Japan isnt Iraq, or Afghanistan for that matter. I dont know what you did or who you did it with or even if you ever have been deployed, but where I came from (Army Scout/ Sniper Squad Leader) we dont f*** our buddies, we help them out; not try to make profit off of our friends and guys we are serving with, or in need. The purpose of this thread is not how this guy can:
A. Make profit while deployed
B. f*** his buddies
C. Set him up for failure
D. Any combination of the prior
This is to help give him good, solid advice for an easy deployment; to set him up for success, and answer his questions with straight no bs answers. This guy is about leave for a year, lets all thank him for his service, and do what can we to support him. Not give retarded/ bullshit advice or what your heard from your brother's wife's sister's cat. Lets keep this thread for its intended purpose.

Last edited:
Hes going to serve, not run a business. The whole notion of selling cigarettes for profit, and f***ing your buddy is by far the stupidest thing I've heard all week. I have bought 27s in the IZ, and in Kirkuk they have had Turkish gold, and Jade time to time, also the Camel Crushes. I have a real problem with people taking advantage of soldiers, or soldiers f***ing soldiers for personal gain. It goes against every value instilled from initial entry training, I'm sure its safe to say across the services. I know If I had a soldier that was doing this I would SLAM him with UCMJ. Japan isnt Iraq, or Afghanistan for that matter. I dont know what you did or who you did it with or even if you ever have been deployed, but where I came from (Army Scout/ Sniper Squad Leader) we dont f*** our buddies, we help them out; not try to make profit off of our friends and guys we are serving with, or in need. The purpose of this thread is not how this guy can:
A. Make profit while deployed
B. f*** his buddies
C. Set him up for failure
D. Any combination of the prior
This is to help give him good, solid advice for an easy deployment; to set him up for success, and answer his questions with straight no bs answers. This guy is about leave for a year, lets all thank him for his service, and do what can we to support him. Not give retarded/ bullshit advice or what your heard from your brother's wife's sister's cat. Lets keep this thread for its intended purpose.

I agree. Lets keep this on topic.

like suicide said, Id ck on the CSM in your BN before you drop big coin on stuff like sneaker boots, or sexy eyepro. Some are sticklers, some are easy.
Ipod, and back up disc

dont spend too much on movies, youll find the Hadji copy in your hooch 2 days before it out in theaters here.

dont kill time at MOB or in Kuwait by wandering around the PX convincing yourself you need 100 feet of tan 550 cord, a tactical Kydex Knife sheath, 10" combat knife, and the like.

And stay outta Green bean, would you buy a 5 dollar coffee drink back home?

Do correspondence courses.

Your gonna get a lot of gear at MOB. Bring Duffles.

Good Luck

like suicide said, Id ck on the CSM in your BN before you drop big coin on stuff like sneaker boots, or sexy eyepro. Some are sticklers, some are easy.
Ipod, and back up disc

dont spend too much on movies, youll find the Hadji copy in your hooch 2 days before it out in theaters here.

dont kill time at MOB or in Kuwait by wandering around the PX convincing yourself you need 100 feet of tan 550 cord, a tactical Kydex Knife sheath, 10" combat knife, and the like.

Good Luck

Stay out of Green Bean?!?!?!?! You must be fricken crazy. Alright, just kidding, but Green Bean can do bad things to a man. Our entire motor pool was addicted to their Vanilla Chai. I think the corpsmen actually ran IV's of the shit for them. But it worked, they busted ass 24/7 keeping our vic's on the road.

I think im having my very own coffee maker shipped over.. I dont even want to know what its gonna be like to start the day without coffee... maybe Ill learn to just chew the damn grains

Good Luck

Solid advice there. Allot of guys go over, and come back with nothing because they spend it all on Brigade QM shit and getting flat screen TVs at the PX. AR 670-1 has changed, even Oakleys are authorized now. But dont get retarded eyepro either. Go and get a regular, conservative pair of M-Frames(via the link I sent). Nothing flashy or reflecting pink/purple/gold. Its not authorized. Another big piece of advice, get an Etrade account. Put your money in there. And save, you do that and will have a nice piece of money when you get back. Its either getting a BMW when you get back, or eating BK and Green Beans regularly, and having every new comfort and piece of electronics in your CHU.

Friend, I have nothing to offer other than my fervent prayer that God watches over you and ou back to you friends and family safe and sound. Thank yo for you sacrifice for our country, you are part of the line of corp that keeps the bad guys off our soil. God bless you

You said it all for me also, thanks.

I think im having my very own coffee maker shipped over.. I dont even want to know what its gonna be like to start the day without coffee... maybe Ill learn to just chew the damn grains

dont bother, buy one for 2 dollars from the unit your replacing

If your looking for stuff, bring a wad of cash from the states. Cash isnt all that easy to come by in country, and youll be amazed at the deals you come across. If it hasnt been shipped home by the time you get there for LS/RS ride, chances are the owner has no intentions of bringing it home, so buy it cheap. Like Xbox, Wii and RPGs.

Take advantage of the facilities, like the gym. Your a heavy Equip operator, no? So your not gonna be insanely busy, and should have a set schedule. Get in the Gym. If your FAT, loose weight, fatty. I was getting porky when we hit MOB, and lost 16 pounds in sweat in 2 months. Had to get new ACUs If your skinny, EAT. You will never ever have a chance like this to go to an awesome gym twice a day for free.

Take advantage of the Army Correspondence Course Program. You know that FAT POS douche bag who isnt deploying with you because of the adverse reaction to sand in his Mangina he gets? Yeah, hes gonna go to WLC or BNCOC while your gone, and get promoted when you get back. Hes gonna be straightn' out his his Chevrons while your trying to figure out if your CAB is upside down or not. DO the damn courses, there easy. open the course in one window, and the test in another. Get the points, get promoted. If you need help, PM me. Im an 11B, and a Heavy Equipment Operator, so if I cant grade my way to the page to help up, I can certainly smash it with an Etool.

Do the Boards. LIke Soldier of the Month, Quarter etc. Its a good way to get smart on the Army's Dime. Id say try out for the Sergeant Audie Murphy Assoc, but theres no way in hell your GOOD ENOUGH. If you are, you too could be on the cover of the Minuteman, like that WIKID SEXY AWESOME GOOD LOOKING HIGH SPEEN LOW DRAG COVERED IN TEFLON guy from the 181 infantry. What was his name?,,,

Send the extra BS home from MOB. YOu dont need 8 sets of ACUs, 4 pair of boots, and 11 sets of PTs. Your gonna get new ACUs from supply every 6 months. Plus Nomex ACUs in COuntry. Plus Tshirts and socks like they prevent dehydration. Seriously. I went thru a new sock a night for a month. heh heh. Sock babies. Serously, dont sweat the skivvies, youll get them fro supply.

Ill think of more shit later.

Wear your seat belt on the FOB, the MPs are gonna get you if you dont.

THAT ADVICE ROCKS....Im gonna start copying all this shit down and take it as gospel...

But, I admit.. I bought some socks and TEES... I sweat like crazy anyway so i thought the best moisture wicking socks and Tees will help out ... oh yeah, bought a watch too since I never wear one.. the cell phones not gonna make it for time LOL

Id say try out for the Sergeant Audie Murphy Assoc, but theres no way in hell your GOOD ENOUGH. If you are, you too could be on the cover of the Minuteman, like that WIKID SEXY AWESOME GOOD LOOKING HIGH SPEEN LOW DRAG COVERED IN TEFLON guy from the 181 infantry. What was his name?,,,

JP Burke???

[rofl][laugh2][rofl]

Fh, check out www.usstandardissue.com I got the oakley boots and a pair of ballistic glasses from them. The shades you get at mob are terrible. Make sure if you do get a pair of Oakley's you get a pair that have fold-able frames. The ones that don't fold really don't work to well when you have your Kevlar and head set on. Baby wipes are great. I am not sure who was talking about the magazine well thing but I got one called a Jimmy Plug. The thing worked great when you were on a FOB and were not allowed to have your M4 yellow. Just make sure you keep the dust cover closed or it really wont make a difference. If you have any other questions feel free to ask in a PM or what not. I just got back last July with an MP unit from here in the state.

And last but certainly not least, Good Luck Bro.

You know that FAT POS douche bag who isnt deploying with you because of the adverse reaction to sand in his Mangina he gets? Yeah, hes gonna go to WLC or BNCOC while your gone, and get promoted when you get back. Hes gonna be straightn' out his his Chevrons while your trying to figure out if your CAB is upside down or not.

[rofl] only the names change.... story stays the same

Not sure if I am gonna be issued a pistol, but Im hoping so. Anyone here with the angle on that chime in. I am a CLS, and so I have been told that that is the way to get one. Go with the medical angle and needing to use one hand to defend while treating with the other

Not sure if I am gonna be issued a pistol, but Im hoping so. Anyone here with the angle on that chime in. I am a CLS, and so I have been told that that is the way to get one. Go with the medical angle and needing to use one hand to defend while treating with the other

i NEVER carried an M9 into combat. the HQ staff would take them all anyway - rightfully so, if they are spending most of their time inside the wire.

We brought out own M9's from our unit and state. The Squadron tried hard as hell to take them from us and redistribute them through their HQ. We prevailed.

Any little things you might forget...Don't sweat it as many places (amazon ranger joes etc) ship to APO. ( i figure they still do)

Someone stated about bringing some cash. That is good advice as you dont have to scurry to finance to take advantage of any deals you can get from departing units of guys selling their crap.

How long is MOB? Ours was 6 months...which gave plenty of time to get whatever we needed before heading over.

MOB is SUPPOSE to be down to 6 weeks..... they arent doing the blanket learn everything training from what i understand... they are teaching you what YOU should be doing in your lane and theater related stuff

Yeah I had heard they were changing it. Besides that 6 month uptrain we got caught in the surge for 14 months in country, it was a looong deployment.

Oh I found having rechargeable batteries (aaa and aa) handy in the long run...and they didnt sell them at the PX.

edit: Besides the Petzl or similar headlamp...a good smaller LED flashlight was helpful to have for general mulling around. I bought a cheapy headlamp (PEZTL a little pricy to get 2) to get around or go through my stuff in the dark in the barracks/tents area.

Last edited:
yeah the word is 6 weeks trainup... 2 weeks kuwait, 9 -11 months in the bag, 2 weeks demob and one month home station. Im ok with that .... less trainup is good.. i heard there was alot of jerkoff time with that long. Im all set with down time.. they say theres TONNNNS of it overseas.. so the less time im WAITING here to get there the happier Ill be

Back
Top Bottom