Posted or not posted, legal to hunt or not legal to hunt

So, there is so many different answers to this question. I have always heard in MA "if it is not posted you can hunt it". I asked an Environmental officer this question and he looked at me like I was crazy. Went into this long speech that kind of made sense, but at the same time I would like to see in writing the law.

What is the rule?

Also make sure you check the town bylaws for the town you wish to hunt...every town is different. Some towns you must have written permission to legally hunt. Other towns if its not posted go ahead and hunt it. But, asking permission regardless is the right thing to do.

Also make sure you check the town bylaws for the town you wish to hunt...every town is different. Some towns you must have written permission to legally hunt. Other towns if its not posted go ahead and hunt it. But, asking permission regardless is the right thing to do.

THIS!
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...assachusets-bylaw-guide-hunting-shooting.html

I would use the link above as a starting point...then double check your town to make sure nothing has changed.

Having just been through the course, I was told you can avoid significant problems by politely asking first ahead of time (and not covered in deer blood). Agreed on right thing to do either way.

Some places it's difficult to find the owner, track them down or hard to tell property lines but generally try to find the owner first and ask. Legally you can hunt anywhere not posted and not in violation of set backs/zoning/compacts etc.

Back
Top Bottom