Possibly dumb question!

I know it isn't possible to RE-load .22 ammo, but is it possible to load your own? Would this be something competition shooters might do for consistency? If so who sells the brass and equipment?

-Tom

As far as I know, competition shooters use factory match ammo of one brand or another.

Unless you were going to make billions of them and sell your product, I couldn't see the financial or performance benefits to it at all. There are already many companies making excellent match grade .22 ammo. I think you'd be very hard pressed to compete.

If you wanted to get into ammo production, there is presently alot more of a call for .223 and other military calibers both pistol and rifle that would be easier to produce. There are of course federal and state licensing issues, insurance issues, tax issues ect.

I don't think it's possible, and even if it were, you couldn't do it cheaper or better than Lapua, Eley, Wolf, etc..

Only thing I have seen or heard of is sorting ammunition form already good lots.

B

+1 I have never heard of any competition shooter making their own .22 ammo. There is some damn good mfg'd match stuff out there for .22lr.

I suppose if you were determined enough, you could make anything. However, like Finalygotabeltfed stated, you'd have to spend a lot of money to set yourself up to make .22LR.

The real tough part would be priming the cases. Rimfire ammo is primed by dropping a measured amount of primer compound (suspended in a liquid) into the case, while simultaneously spinning the case to evenly disperse the primer into the rim. Every parameter must be tightly controlled to even get the ammo to even fire, let alone provide consistent results.

If you want superior .22LR ammo, buy the match stuff made by Wolf.

Back
Top Bottom