Portland police drop Remington rifles amid concerns

Video of a local training exercise supports claims of faulty triggers in some Remington 700 rifles.

PORTLAND - The Portland Police Department's special reaction team has stopped using its Remington 700 sniper rifles, because one of them started firing unpredictably and a network news report said similar problems elsewhere have caused injuries and prompted lawsuits.

A program on CNBC last week highlighted several reports that Remington 700 rifles -- a mainstay for the U.S. military, law enforcement and gun enthusiasts -- had fired when the trigger had not been pulled.

The program's findings were bolstered by a video taken at a Portland police training exercise. One of the rifles was shown firing when the trigger was not being pulled.

READ MORE

picard-facepalm.jpg

It's going to be like brakes on Toyotas, everyone's 700 is suddenly going to start randomly attacking people by itself.

The officer removes his finger from the trigger, then reaches forward to touch the bolt. The rifle fires.

Stuck firing pin?

Gotta love the knee jerk reaction. Instead of saying "Let's call remington and get the rifles fixed" they go "bweah!!!!!"

-Mike

I'm sure that there is a federal grant somewhere in Portland just waiting to be spent on new rifles.

I can't wait till 700's start flooding the shelves dirt cheap.

I doubt it, possibly, but this is a rare occasion and probably related dirty guns/ an untrained person working on the trigger. Below is what somebody I know with lots of bad guy trigger time has to say about this....

I've seen it several times when someone starts f***ing with the trigger adjustments and don't know WTF they are doing, particularly common with hunters. There is a reason the adjustment screws are lock-tited from the factory. Everyone wants to just turn a screw and have a 2lb trigger with no creep and that's when you have issues. They start f***ing around with sear engagement and weight and next thing you know you have an unsafe gun where the firing pin is going forward every time you lock the bolt because there is no or too little sear engagement and weight.

I have NEVER, repeat NEVER seen one do what is described in the article unless someone was f***ing around with the trigger. That's not Remington's fault.

The wook is nothing if not predictable.

Us untrained non CQB ninja rubes cannot adjust a trigger safely.........

Only cool dudes with lots of bad guy trigger time and morale patches can do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit, I better go back and re-adjust my Model 700 (1 lb), Howa 1500 (1.5 lbs), and Anschutz 1411 (6 oz) triggers all back to 6 lbs before I have an ND.

After all, I am not professional enough to adjust them even though none of them will drop the pin without pulling the trigger no matter how hard I slam the bolt shut or smack the rifle against the deck.

The wook is nothing if not predictable.

Us untrained non CQB ninja rubes cannot adjust a trigger safely.........

Only cool dudes with lots of bad guy trigger time and morale patches can do it right.

You have penis envy; just admit it. But no matter how hard you try you will never be able to carry my jock.

[laugh] hahahahahaha [laugh]

You're just soooooooo cool in your flight suit

[rofl]

Yeah, see there you are showing your lack of knowledge with special operations gear. But, what were you a sailor? Come on, you can't be way mad whoa like us Marines unless you know the terms. I wore assault suits, flight suits are for pilots, assault suits are for warriors who blow through walls, kick names, and take ass. [shocked] There are subtle, but noticeable differences with assault suits, but you wouldn't know about that.

Unless you washed them for us while you were on ship. [laugh]

Here is a video of me giving a class to CQB students, look at my assault suit and see if you can pick out the differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
On CNBC right now "Remington UNder Fire." talking about this very thing!

These guys are trying to fry Remington saying the company knew about it fro 60 years.

Back
Top Bottom