Popular 9MM Luger Powder List for basic Range

I spent a few hours crawling various forums and double checking spec sheets to see what was popular for range powder for the lighter grains, plated bullets. I mean for punching paper, nothing dramatic. The ones with (**) were the ones I saw most often. Am I missing any obvious ones? I want to start looking around for some (even small quantities) on the list just so I can get going reloading something. Thanks.

Winchester W231 **
Hodgdon HP-38 **

Hodgdon CFE Pistol
Hodgdon Titegroup **
Hodgdon Universal
IMR Target
Accurate #2
Accurate #5
Alliant Bullseye **
Alliant Unique
Alliant BE-86
Alliant Sport Pistol
Vihtavuori - N320 **
Vihtavuori - N310, N340, N330, 3N37, N350

Of those I used N320, titegroup, 231/HP-38 (same powders), sport pistol, and bullseye. All good powders really. TG burns hot but you’re using plated bullets so you’re good there.

Right now I’d take what you can get. Though powder isn’t horribly difficult to find.

OK thanks for all the feedback looks like I have a good list. Of course if anyone has any quantity they want to sell please do PM me. Ironically I have SP Primers but no powder.

OK thanks for all the feedback looks like I have a good list. Of course if anyone has any quantity they want to sell please do PM me. Ironically I have SP Primers but no powder.
Shooting supply in Westport put out an email this past week listing all their in stock powders. I’ve been successful there on several occasions. Worth checking or calling.

Win231 is what I have always used for my 9mm plinking and get good results with 4.6gr behind a 115gr Berry's plated. It meters well in a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It can be a bit smokey but I don't mind it. I have read everywhere that HP-38 is the same as Win231. Good luck
I run the same recipe but use only 4.5 grains. Works well in all my toys.

I spent a few hours crawling various forums and double checking spec sheets to see what was popular for range powder for the lighter grains, plated bullets. I mean for punching paper, nothing dramatic. The ones with (**) were the ones I saw most often. Am I missing any obvious ones? I want to start looking around for some (even small quantities) on the list just so I can get going reloading something. Thanks.

Winchester W231 **
Hodgdon HP-38 **

Hodgdon CFE Pistol
Hodgdon Titegroup **
Hodgdon Universal
IMR Target
Accurate #2
Accurate #5
Alliant Bullseye **
Alliant Unique
Alliant BE-86
Alliant Sport Pistol
Vihtavuori - N320 **
Vihtavuori - N310, N340, N330, 3N37, N350

Take that list and do a burn rate comparison.
For small cases like 9 you'll want the faster end of the list. Unique might be a little on the slow side for 9.

1619381665050.png

Using titegroup, still think it's dirty. But, that's what we have for now. Would recommend TrueBlue if one could find it.

Funny I was at Shooting Supply in Westport yesterday buying supplies and I saw all the presses on display. I was kicking myself for not buying my press there and support local businesses but I had already made an eBay order. My Press arrived today. I look at the label and it’s from Shooter Supply :)

Back
Top Bottom