*pop* ting, ting, ting...

I was just sitting here reading a book after loading some rounds and I heard a light *pop* followed by the sound of something small bouncing along the wood floor. I look over at the rounds I just loaded which were all set in a tray (primer up) and one of them was missing it's primer. All the brass was clean, I cleaned all the primer pockets, and I also made sure I felt an even pressure as they seated and that they seated fully. Is it possible that the change in room temperature (+10 degrees) caused the brass to expand enough and built up just enough pressure to push it out? Or could it be a flaw in the primer itself? I pulled the bullet from that piece of brass and tried seating a primer by finger pressure only into it and it wouldn't go so it definitely isn't super loose.

Did you find the primer that popped out? I wonder if it was intact, and if it would still feel the same, if it were to be reseated again.

Did you find the primer that popped out? I wonder if it was intact, and if it would still feel the same, if it were to be reseated again.

I didn't find it even after sweeping and moving furniture. I live in a 210 year old farm house and my living room hardwood floor has some good gaps in it. It most likely fell to my basement which has a dirt floor.

Sounds like a worn out piece of brass. I've had range brass (mostly rifle brass) that was overloaded or worn at the primer pocket so much so that the primer would just fall out, not even with the slight push from seating a bullet. Barring some other unique situation, I'd guess this was the problem.

Back
Top Bottom