Polygonal rifling and reloads

Quick question for you guys:

I have a H&K USP 40, which has polygonal rifling, and I bought a box of reloads to shoot. The reloads are unjacketed lead bullets. Another shooter just told me that you're not supposed to shoot unjacketed bullets through a barrel with polygonal rifling because it'll cause some serious carnage in the barrel.

Anyone out there know anything about this? Not true, should I just use these 50, or should I not use these 50 at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

the serious carnage is lead fouling that could cause a round not to exit the barrel before you send the next one down the pipe.

It has been a warning from Glock forever, but people have been doing it without problems.

YMMV

I'd shoot the 50 then clean the barrel

I've heard that leading is not, or is less of, an issue in polygonal barrels if hard lead bullets are used. YMMV

Kevin you are correct, the issue is greatly reduced if hard cast bullets are used

the serious carnage is lead fouling that could cause a round not to exit the barrel before you send the next one down the pipe.

It has been a warning from Glock forever, but people have been doing it without problems.

YMMV

I'd shoot the 50 then clean the barrel

Hard cast lead bullets work just fine in a polygonal barrel. I have run about 40,000 rounds through several Glocks (mostly .40) and have had no problems. I clean the barrels religiously every 600 round or so.

Back
Top Bottom