Polished Pistol

Hey fellas, just looking for some advice. I have a S&W 4506 in great shape, I want to get a 1911 but I dont have alot of money to spend on it so I was thinking of trading mine towards it. I brought my gun to two different gun shops, and I do realize that they need to make a profit off of buying and reselling firearms, but they weren't going to give a whole lot of money for it, so I was wondering if it would be worth my time to polish my gun. Would that bring the value up at all or would it be a waste of my time. I have plenty experience polishing motorcycle and car parts so its not not a matter knowing how to do it, just if its worth my time.

If you can post a pic it would help.

If it's the satin finish stainless 4506 do NOT try to polish it yourself. You can it professionally bead-blasted for about $70-100. I had a friendly smith do a very basic bead-blast on the frame only and a trigger job for I think $70. Don't recall.
Here are some pics, I hope they help.

Before:
IMG_3049.JPG

After:
S6300187.JPG

The after shot is right when I got back from the range so it's not clean, but I hope you can notice the difference. The laser-engraving of the cop shop ID wouldn't come off:(
ETA these guns are worth about $500-$600 retail in VG condition. Frankly I'd try t o sell it on the Classifieds if you're determined to do it. Personally I'll never let this go. It's a great gun that will NEVER EVER fail you.

Last edited:
It would decrease the value

This.

Anything "custom" done to the gun will decrease the value unless it is done by a well known/reputable gunsmith/refinisher/manufacturer.

If you polish your gun, the shops are more likely to offer you even less for it.

Put it up in the classifieds here at a good price and it should sell quickly. And by good price I mean slightly lower than what others are going for, which will inevitably be a lot more than what a store will offer you, making the whole thing a win-win for the buyer, and you.

if you are trying to maximize your money for the gun, post it here. The stores will not be your friend in this example.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will take it!!!! You're right Bill it is a very reliable gun, I've never had any problems with it. But I need to sell one to get one.
Thanks again for the help guys, Justin

dealers offer aabout 60% of book value, secondly go on gunbroker and get some idea of what they are asking
for them there.

i would clean it and leave it alone.

you could start by posting it here, remember pics go a long way in selling anything. be specific to include a complete
description including mags and an accurate condition, make note of any scratches or wear.

i have a 4513 i alomst sold, i am glad i didn't, i found the right holster for it and it carries so well you forget
your carrying it.

JimB

You aren't going to polish in value that isn't there.

In decreasing order of value you can expect to receive:

1. Private sale
2. Consignment via a shop that has large exposure (www.fsguns.com is one, there are others)
3. Trade in at a shop for another gun
4. Sell to shop for cash

Another option that probably falls somewhere between #1 and #3 is to sell it on www.gunbroker.com, but you will have the extra hassles and expense of handling the transaction through a MA FFL (yes, I know it's legal for an individual to ship a gun directly to an out of state FFL, but few FFLs will allow that procedure).

Not to hijack but I assume (re. your log in name) you are a subscriber? Which ones do you get OSR, CKD, TH? I've got a couple projects in the works, you? As far as your gun if it's not perfect a little "air eraser" never hurts, the only "pro" part of the job is disassembly/reassembly and knowing what to mask. Internal mods are a no-no for resale but it's amazing what you can do with a lathe and surface grinder [wink]. OSR4e Jim

JimB what holster do you use? I have tried three different styles (IWB right side, IWB behind, and shoulder rig). The shoulder rig isnt too bad but I am a big guy and I cant get it to that "Perfect" position.

Jim(Griffinwerks) I probably should be a subscriber for how much I buy them and how much I would save, but anyways I have a 31 Model a Fordor just about done building the new frame for it,401 Buick Nailhead with the switch pitch 400, explorer 8.8 rear end, should be a roller in two and a half months or so. What about you?

Back
Top Bottom