Police use ShotSpotter technology to combat gun violence

It has been for the rest of us. This is the next step in a system like this, and we are concerned it won't be reigned in.

I apologize for I like to argue apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

No problem as now I understand that there is no point to this discussion and will get off of this train wreck.[rolleyes]

I apologize for I like to argue apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

No problem as now I understand that there is no point to this discussion and will get off of this train wreck.[rolleyes]

ok someone has to say it: half cocked, You has no idea how to form a cogent argument. You would be well advised go actually read what eeryone has said before you go and decide what is and is not relevant to the conversation at hand. Dismissing what peoplehave said doesn't actually make your argument stronger, it in fact weakens it sig ificantly.

Good luck to you and to you wishes of government spying it's people. The only power a government has is that which mthe people grant to it.

Saw that on the ARFCOM news channel on YT. Pretty funny. they spent $50M on Shotspotter and I think it led to 17 prosecutions. That's just $3mil a prosecution. Nice!

This guy should be taken out behind city hall and beaten until bloody.

Chris Taliaferro, an alderman who chairs the City Council's Committee on Police and Fire, pushed back on the decision to end the use of the technology.

"I am deeply disappointed that we will no longer be using the ShotSpotter technology to help our officers respond to calls more rapidly, render aid to gunshot victims in a more timely manner and ultimately save lives," he said in an email to NPR. "This has been a valuable tool for our police officers in high crime police districts, where some of them average a murder nearly every two weeks."

He continued that the city is "taking a step backwards" by relying on the traditional 911 call to respond to shots being fired in neighborhoods, delaying officers' response times.

"This move will certainly prove to be detrimental to the growth of Black communities and robs these communities of yet another resource aimed at helping to build the community," he said.

What the mayor found was that it increased conflicts with police and black neighborhoods. It was DETRIMENTAL to solving the crime issue. Forget that ShotSplatter was manually recategorizing "fireworks" as "shots fired" and causing units to roll out when the system CLEARLY did not call for it. Sort of like SS shilling for itself and making it SEEM useful. . . . when in fact it was just increasing tensions and wasting police resources.

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. They are used with great success down in Hartford. The system is adjustable and can differentiate between fireworks and actual gun shots

We had shot spotters installed last year in Holyoke. We have a spotter on a pole in the alley across from our shop. They can apparently tell the difference between a gunshot and a ramset, but I wouldn't have guessed they could tell skin color.

I may be out of line here since this is the first I’ve heard of this and I haven’t really had a good chance to think it through. (So why post you ask?)

Cost aside, I like it. It targets criminals while leaving the lawful gun owners alone. It’s not trying to restrict my owning a gun in the name of getting guns off the street. In fact I think could even help our cause by reducing the illegal guns and taking them out of the news. If guns aren’t in the news there isn’t any political capital to gain by passing useless laws against lawful gun owners.
Wrong. See below for what I was thinking and Matt stated:
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Seems to me the most telling line of the story is this:

Now I don't know this guy, maybe he was involved in gangs or drug deal gone bad, but maybe he was a hard working guy denied the ability to protect himself but a GFW of a COP.

Suppose I placed a camera outside of your living area in the public. Every day I would watch you come out of your home and go to work even though you broke no laws. Would it bother you? I mean after all I am just filming a public area! One which you use but use the same as me. I mean really, wouldn't that just piss you off? Wouldn't you try to find some way to keep me from doing it or would you simply accept it as a way of life?
Like a Ring camera on your front door?
Actually, I know where you are going with this and you are right, there is no "expectation of privacy" in public, but from what I understand, this is more for tracking ones movement and other visually observable facts. If I take a high gain mic or laser mic and focus it on two people whose conversation is inaudible from the nearest distance to any other person visible, is this admissible? The supreme court has already (KYLLO V. UNITED STATES) said thermal imaging is not a reasonable means of search despite the heat emanating from the home is "visible" without intruding on the home's barriers. Given Kyllo, logically this would be forbidden and this is the exact same circumstance as Kyllo, albeit in audio, not thermal imaging.
I wonder how this would play out with the MMW technology that they were trying out a few years ago in Natick. Scanning people to detect hidden weapons on them.

Saw that on the ARFCOM news channel on YT. Pretty funny. they spent $50M on Shotspotter and I think it led to 17 prosecutions. That's just $3mil a prosecution. Nice!

This guy should be taken out behind city hall and beaten until bloody.

What the mayor found was that it increased conflicts with police and black neighborhoods. It was DETRIMENTAL to solving the crime issue. Forget that ShotSplatter was manually recategorizing "fireworks" as "shots fired" and causing units to roll out when the system CLEARLY did not call for it. Sort of like SS shilling for itself and making it SEEM useful. . . . when in fact it was just increasing tensions and wasting police resources.

In Springfield thugs were riding around on motorcycles setting off fireworks multiple areas at the same time to give false alerts when ever they were doing criminal activities. They're more organized than I think people realize.

Back
Top Bottom