Police: Tukwila man's 'safe room' packed with guns, saw-blade, mace

Link

By LEVI PULKKINEN
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

A 31-year-old Tukwila man is behind bars on harassment allegations after police allegedly found a cache of ammunition and weapons, including a homemade mace.

On Jan. 29, Tukwila police were called to the home of Douglas Bodaczewski after his mother reported that her son was acting erratically.

Bodaczewski, described as a mentally ill man who'd previously been in a standoff with police, had constructed an elaborate safe room inside the home, according to court documents. His mother was concerned her son would take refuge there if he knew police were in the home.

Arriving at the house in the 13000 block of 38th Avenue South, officers found Bodaczewski cooperative but armed with an extendable baton and fixed-blade hunting knife, according to court documents. Bodaczewski was arrested and later charged with harassment on allegations that he'd threatened his mother's life.

Searching the home, officers found a heavy, metal door that had been secured. Unlocking the door with Bodaczewski's help, officers found nearly 1,000 rounds of 9 mm ammunition and an extensive collection of weapons.

In addition to a muzzle-loading .50-caliber rifle, a 9 mm pistol and a crossbow, police recovered five throwing knives, two "Ninja" throwing stars, nunchucks and "a homemade mace utilizing a chain and a saw blade," according to court documents. Officers also located a partially assembled homemade cannon, as well as 39 books and DVDs on combat techniques.

Bodaczewski was jailed following a mental health examination. Senior Deputy Prosecutor David W. Gross successfully argued that Bodaczewski be held on an increased bail after the extent of his arsenal became known.

"The state believes the defendant does in fact pose a serious risk to the safety of the community at large," Gross said.

Bodaczewski remains jailed on $75,000 bail. He has not yet entered a plea to the charges against him.

a muzzle-loading .50-caliber rifle
[rolleyes]

Oh, good lord, now the press is describing black powder arms by caliber for scare value? Should someone tell them that an ordinary 1770s musket was about .75-caliber? A smoothbore .50 would have been called a "fowling piece."

[rolleyes]

Oh, good lord, now the press is describing black powder arms by caliber for scare value? Should someone tell them that an ordinary 1770s musket was about .75-caliber? A smoothbore .50 would have been called a "fowling piece."

Er...those evil .50's are used to shoot down airplanes. Ought to be banned!

55_grain

When I first saw "homemade mace", I thought we're talking about bottles of hot sauce...but when i saw chain and blade, I was like oh...

Remembering back to my AD&D days, a mace can be a spiked ball at the end of a stick or club or could be a spiked ball at the end of a chain attached to a stick or club. +2 against dorks, orcs, and the undead 8^)

So, what exactly was this guy arrested for and being detained for? Having a case of ammo, a couple of guns, and some mace?

Someone please fill me in, here, as I am sure that I missed something when reading the wonderfully unbiased piece of moonbat journalism.[rolleyes]

Senior Deputy Prosecutor David W. Gross successfully argued that Bodaczewski be held on an increased bail after the extent of his arsenal became known.

[thinking]

I fail to see any reason to mention all of his "arsenal items" ... He allegedly threatened his mother, and from what I read all of those items are perfectly legal to own, and he had them secured in a safe room. There is no story here.

I thought most of those martial arts fighting weapons were not legal in Ma?? Last time I read the law I remember reading a long list of those items as well as a law forbidding making any of them yourself??

I thought most of those martial arts fighting weapons were not legal in Ma?? Last time I read the law I remember reading a long list of those items as well as a law forbidding making any of them yourself??

That section is about carrying dangerous weapons. There is no section of MA law forbidding possession of said items in your home.

In regards to the article, I believe it took place in WA state? Unsure of the laws there, but it still sounds completely harmless to me.

ETA: Details.

Last edited:
Thank God mom called on him before he want off kilter.Most families just ignore everything and let Jr. shoot a bunch of folks and then say"Well we were expecting this."Good for her.

"a homemade mace utilizing a chain and a saw blade,"

At first, I laughed cuz I scanned it quickly and understood it as some sort of chainsaw equipped with mace!

Back
Top Bottom