Police officer fired for not shooting man who had unloaded gun

I heard about this for the first time yesterday and it infuriated me. I found a really long article on my phones news feed that disected the whole ordeal from the shooting trough the settlement including some of the transcript from the hearings. And the article went on to update where Stephen Mader is today. I've been searching this morning and can't find that article other wise I would link it. If I ever do find it, I will update this post.

Long story short Mader eventually did settle the suit for $175,000. After he was fired he became a long haul truck driver earning more money than he was making on the job. And since the settlement, has re-enlisted and is currently serving as an MP. What happened to this man should never happen to anyone and this story highlights just about everything that is wrong with law enforcement today. This man was put through hell but it sounds like in the long run he will be much better off than than he would be spending the next 20 years working in that department. I don't understand why anyone would want to get into law enforcement in this day and age.

I heard about this for the first time yesterday and it infuriated me. I found a really long article on my phones news feed that disected the whole ordeal from the shooting trough the settlement including some of the transcript from the hearings. And the article went on to update where Stephen Mader is today. I've been searching this morning and can't find that article other wise I would link it. If I ever do find it, I will update this post.

Updated: Found the link!!

What Happened When A White Cop Decided Not to Shoot a Black Man

Long story short Mader eventually did settle the suit for $175,000. After he was fired he became a long haul truck driver earning more money than he was making on the job. And since the settlement, has re-enlisted and is currently serving as an MP. What happened to this man should never happen to anyone and this story highlights just about everything that is wrong with law enforcement today. This man was put through hell but it sounds like in the long run he will be much better off than than he would be spending the next 20 years working in that department. I don't understand why anyone would want to get into law enforcement in this day and age.

Last edited:

Updated: Found the link!!

What Happened When A White Cop Decided Not to Shoot a Black Man

Thanks for the follow-up, I always wondered.

Imagine the people that live in that place with that department. With that mentality you can guarantee all sorts of shady shit is happening.

A pistol in someones hand, assuming your in pistol range is an immediate threat even if its not pointed at you. In a second or less the person holding the gun could have it pointed at you.

If I'm on a call with my gun out, sights aligned and pointing at center of available mass (and assuming I've moved to some mediocre cover/concealment), I don't care how fast you are... I'm hitting you first.
Measured reaction times to an audible signal (buzzer) for a person holding a gun on a target generally measure about .25 seconds, with .5 seconds being on the very slow side. In other words, I believe your assessment.

Using common sense to assess the nature of the situation? -- check.
Deesculating the situation? -- check.
Showing concern for the well-being of others? -- check.

The guy should have been promoted.
i think this goes against training and policy.
Escalate then Eliminate...

So why did the police officers not get fired when one ofvthere own shot his wife in front of his daughter in traffic? Trying to remember where and when. I still remember the officers walking him away in a loving caring way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom