Police cruiser hits, kills pedestrian on the Cape

OK....but in my area, the sidewalks that they eschew, are asphalt, as well. [rofl]

Mine too.

I never said the explanation made sense; I suggested the opposite, in fact. It certainly doesn't make sense to me. But you asked for the reason, and right or wrong that's the one most runners give.

The conventional wisdom is that dirt beats asphalt, asphalt beats concrete.

I like to ride a bike from my home (Marlborough) to a gym I go to in Hudson to get a good workout. I have a mountain bike which I ride off to the side of the road and/or on sidewalks (and on the rail trail to the gym), etc... in other words, as far away from traffic as possible. With all of the idiots texting and driving, on their phones and driving, and just plain not paying attention, it's scary as sh*t riding near traffic. I never understood people who want to get in shape presumably (biking or jogging) but are willing to take such a big risk doing things like riding side by side on high-speed roads, and jogging with traffic.

I'm dating myself here but as a kid in school we had the " When out at night wear something bright" mantra which I still do today at 67. Nighttime, lousy weather clearing snow in less than ideal conditions I wear something light or brightly colored.
From the picture of the road can't fault the cop especially if the victim was pretending to be Carl Wallenda.

One of the few things that I get wound up about on the road, is joggers that run in the street, when there is a sidewalk right next to them. I've asked joggers why, but have never been able to get a clear answer.....

Not sure if the runners will agree, but the sidewalks are often uneven, lumpy, broken, full of wayward recycle bins, cars that park across the sidewalk, snow/icebergs (in winter/spring), etc.

Not sure if the runners will agree, but the sidewalks are often uneven, lumpy, broken, full of wayward recycle bins, cars that park across the sidewalk, snow/icebergs (in winter/spring), etc.

I agree, and the curb cuts are no fun either. But the streets are full of cars, and it's their world.

No sidewalk flaws justify encroaching on the street unless there's no sidewalk or the sidewalk is blocked, and even then we need to get back on the sidewalk as soon as we can IMO. We're all comfortable with different levels of risk, but no matter how cool we runners think we are (and we are cool, of course), we're pedestrians and belong on the sidewalk.

In theory, the pedestrian always has the right of way... even the drunk/high/addled fellow in the OP. But what good is having the right of way once a car has killed you?

In theory, the pedestrian always has the right of way... even the drunk/high/addled fellow in the OP. But what good is having the right of way once a car has killed you?

A long time ago I took a boating class. The instructor told us "a boat under sail has the right of way over a boat under power". He also told us that exercising (or attempting to) that right when sailing near a super tanker might be unrealistic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A long time ago I took a boating class. The instructor told us "a boat under sail has the right of way over a boat under power". He also told us that exercising (or attempting to) that right when sailing near a super tanker might be unrealistic.

The right of way is something you can give/cede to another operator, NOT something you can take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much my point. So, while pedestrians generally are considered to have the same right over cars, even if jaywalking or other similarly foolish acts, attempting to assert said "right" may be penny-wise but pound-foolish.

I almost clipped a guy on a bike the other night. Dark road with no streetlights, he is wearing what looked to be an OD green hoodie and a dark cap. No reflectors or lights on his bike. I didn't see him until I was right on top of him as I came around a corner.

Dark clothes, dark road, people don't understand how hard it is to see them.

Back
Top Bottom