Polar Bear Carbine Match at PF&G

I've been thinking about the "long range" stage... it must have been an eye opener for many participants. There was a surprising number who had trouble hitting those plates. Looking at the results, there were only 10 shooters out of 37 who could make the required 4 hits in 30 seconds. Why were the results so poor?

I've been thinking about the "long range" stage... it must have been an eye opener for many participants. There was a surprising number who had trouble hitting those plates. Looking at the results, there were only 10 shooters out of 37 who could make the required 4 hits in 30 seconds. Why were the results so poor?

Time, target contrast against background(the 200yd was barely visible to me anyway without optics), target spread left to right( moving 15-20 degrees left and right with narrow field optics while prone and the rifle on a bipod isn't easy without practice.

I'd bet that most of the so called "misses" would have actually been effective hits on a man sized target.

Time, target contrast against background(the 200yd was barely visible to me anyway without optics), target spread left to right (moving 15-20 degrees left and right with narrow field optics while prone and the rifle on a bipod isn't easy without practice.

I'd bet that most of the so called "misses" would have actually been effective hits on a man sized target.

This more than anything, IMO. I watched someone with an extremely capable rifle topped with a great scope who had difficulty acquiring the 200 yard target due to the narrow FOV. It's pretty tough swinging through that arc and finding that small target through the soda straw.

This more than anything, IMO. I watched someone with an extremely capable rifle topped with a great scope who had difficulty acquiring the 200 yard target due to the narrow FOV. It's pretty tough swinging through that arc and finding that small target through the soda straw.

Yup, that was me. Wrong rifle and wrong optics for the stage. If I had known we would be swinging back and forth between the 100 yard and 200 yard targets, I would have just shot it with my AR and EOTech sights. The bipod did nothing but slow me down, and the scope was way too powerful for that distance.

Now give me a sniper stage with small targets at 300, 400, and 500 yards distance (with in a smaller arc of movement) and the FAL with 20x scope would have been OK. Lesson learned. Next time, I'll hike back to the parking lot and grab the AR.

Yup, that was me. Wrong rifle and wrong optics for the stage. If I had known we would be swinging back and forth between the 100 yard and 200 yard targets, I would have just shot it with my AR and EOTech sights. The bipod did nothing but slow me down, and the scope was way too powerful for that distance.

Now give me a sniper stage with small targets at 300, 400, and 500 yards distance (with in a smaller arc of movement) and the FAL with 20x scope would have been OK. Lesson learned. Next time, I'll hike back to the parking lot and grab the AR.

Hey, I wasn't naming any names! [wink]

Another shooter in our group had a beautiful Rem 700 on a bipod, topped by about a yard of 'scope, and I could see he was working hard to swing from target to target and acquire that 200 yard one quickly.

Back
Top Bottom