Plenty of shooting available this weekend between RR & NFGA

This Saturday we have the luxury on Saturday of picking between an 80 rd ctc League match @ http://www.readinghighpower.com/
or a 50 rd 200 / 300 yd Leage match @ http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/nfga_2011_schedule.pdf followed by a 600 yard practice.

Then on Sunday I'm running an NRA Approved 80 rd CTC match @ NFGA.

If anyone ever thought there are not many opportunities to shoot highpower matches in this part of the country they are wrong this weekend!

So who's shooting where this weekend?

Seeing how NFGA is my home club and part time job I'll be there both days.

George

I'll see you there Sunday george, without a doubt.

You arent kidding about someplace to shoot. I'd be willing to bet considering the weather restrictions (winter), that we have one of the most active HP schedules in the country.

Glad to hear you'll be there Sunday Jeff...

Look at the results pages on the NFGA website and you will see plenty of good scores.
Most are typically at good solid Master Scores at least. Must be an easy range to shoot at.

Pat McD... I can't remember the last time I saw you and the Maine boys at NFGA.
Please come shoot! ... You guys are a hoot and a pleasure to be around.

Drinks on me after the match

George -

Good shooting with you last weekend (I had the Argentine FN-49). Wish I could make it to Nashua again this weekend, but the wife had other plans.

Ah, the sacrifices we make to maintain blissful harmony...

Saturday is the State Garand Championship in Hampden. I don't care much anout that, but then they're doing a President's match, and I do want to shoot that.
Sunday is honeydoo list day.

George, we'll get down later in the season. I love shooting down there[grin]

I agree, I always shot Pistol well in the rain, Rifle less so. But the problem is RAIN ...cancelling the Matches? It looks like all regional choices ( Reading, Nashua, Hampden, Scarborough, Keene) are all looking at rain, showers and thunder storms on SATURDAY. So, Which if any Clubs will Shoot their Match in the Rain? With up to a 4 hour drive from Boston....Do You "Roll the dice" ??

Last edited:
I agree, I always shot Pistol well in the rain, Rifle less so. But the problem is RAIN ...cancelling the Matches? It looks like all regional choices ( Reading, Nashua, Hampden, Scarborough, Keene) are all looking at rain, showers and thunder storms on SATURDAY. So, Which if any Clubs will Shoot their Match in the Rain? With up to a 4 hour drive from Boston....Do You "Roll the dice" ??

Anyone who is responsible for running a range knows how much work it is and how much time it takes to make new targets because the ones you built allready got ruined from keeping them out in the rain.

Granted 200/300 and 600 yard targets are much harder and much more time consuming to build than pistol targets. If it's a steady rain or downpours at NFGA we will not keep the targets out.

MAYBE if it's a Regional, State Champs or EIC... But typically no.

Right now the forcast is 40% chance of passing rain / thunderstorms for tomorrow.
Unless it is worse than that I fully expect we shoot at NFGA tomorrow. I have radar on my phone so we know if it's going to be a passing shower/storm or steady rain. If a passing storm we put the targets under cover and wait it out then resume shooting.

Sunday is looking awesome and I fully expoect to get my NRA 80 off without any delays.

I have shot in pouring rain before in Bolton Vt and Scarboro ME.
I shoot fine in the rain when I need to.

Last edited:
No need to be nervous Dan.
You did great last week at the CMP match for your 1st match!

The 1st match is the hardest match so your on a downhill slope now starting your journey climbing the NRA classification ladder and preparing for EIC matches... :)

I went, I shot, I sucked and I don't care.... That was fun!

Edit: Ah yes, to ad to my list of things to bring to a HP shoot, a hat and sunscreen.... oops

Last edited:
I think it's pretty safe to say it's come full circle. I couldn't have been more wrong

Dan,

When you have a few spare minutes please explain your pre & post outlook on Highpower.
If it's positive maybe it will influence others.

George

Dan,

When you have a few spare minutes please explain your pre & post outlook on Highpower.

George
Good idea.

He's not the only one I've come across with those misconceptions.

I shot my first 80 round match with Dan and had a great time. I set 2 goals for myself to get me through the day:
1. Provide Golden Rule Pit service, Done.
2. Get all shots on paper, this was hard because i was shooting a loaner and making sight adjustments on a gun i was not familiar with, Done.

Big thanks to George for sighting in my rifle on Saturday and everyone else at Nashua and all the people who came up from Reading, all were very helpful and encouraging.

gah, a whole weekend of shooting, missed :(

rained out saturday, and brutally sick saturday night / all day sunday. twas depressing...completely unable to get out of bed, KNOWING there's a match going on.

I'll be there this coming weekend, you can gaurantee that. George: Sunday's a team / practice match, what's the fee gonna be? I dont think i can handle only 1 match in a 3 week span haha. if no one minds, i may take a ride up for that one.

Dan,

George

George, I'll start by saying much of my own clouded perception of the sport was due to my own lack of self confidance in the 1st place. Most people I think would not be nearly as hesitant to go try.....

My overall, basic perception of High Power was that is was a "gear" game. from my point of view at the time, it was a sport I could never even show up and try because I "needed" $3000 worth of gear just to shot up. I had run across a few guys at a range I use to belong to that were self proclaimed "long distance shooters" who very much like to tell people how much better their skills,gear and wallet were better than everyone elses, while offering up their opinion on how much your stuff/skills sucked.

I did some reading on a few websites, NES and others and this seemed to "confirm" my belief that HP guys were just a bunch of guys with wads of cash to blow on gear ( sorry, but reminded me of a high end golf club, where what you drove up in was as important as the new driver or watch you had ) When your a guy thats never spent more than $800 on a firearm and you see and hear guys saying that an "entry level" "basic" spotting scope will run you $1K its kinda hard to understand.

Back in March I decided to join a new range that had some longer distances ( peterbourgh nh has a 185 yd range ) its a quite range and I figured Id have my own little competions with myself. I also figured Id actually learn how to sight in the AR I'd owned for over a year. I almost never shot my AR as I hated the feeling ot just "tossing" rounds out to a paper taget. I made a few trips, shot a few mags and got iritated with not being able to "see" my bullet holes at 100 yds and having to walk out only to find only 1 out of 5 way actually a hit.

I ended up posting a thread in the general discussion are about spotting scopes, and long story short I pretty much told all of the top high power guys on the site that they were gear snobs.... (sorry) This was extremely dumb, as I had never actually ASKED anyone for help, or what the sport was ACTUALLY like. I just assumed from a few dumb asses and my own lack of confidance that it was something I could never DO or afford to do.

After a few PM between JOSE and myself where he basicly challenged me to find out first hand what the sport was about, and even making a most generious offer to someone who had just insulted him ( sorry again ) I decided to take the challange personally, and actully "DO" instead of just talk or wanting to do something.... I NEVER ever thought I would actually get up enough guts to do it but I felt as though I owed it to Jose to at least try it for the kindness he showed me,a stranger on the internet.

Fast foward a few months, and dozens of emails between George and Jose and Jeff...... All answered, no matter how stupid or silly. George has gone out of his way to make sure I could shoot, rifles,mats,jackets, everything! I showed up to shoot the 80rd NRA match with ammo,hearing protection, and a work glove with the fingers cut off and between George and Dave at NFGA I was fully setup to shoot by the time the 1st shots were fired. There was NO ONE to my left, right or behind me at anytime that would not have offered help or advice at anytime, period. Jenn and Mike from down at Reading were most helpful, especially at the 600 yd line. When I was in the pits next to a guy that was shooting out the X ring,he introduced himself ( I suck at names and cant remember.. ) and thanked ME for coming up...... No one noticed I was shooting in a work gove with the fingers cut off, No one cared that I dont own a single thing that says "creedmoor" on it ( yet [smile]) No one cared that I was well over 100 points off the best score of the match ( a LOT more than 100 points [smile] )

When I handed in my score card, with what was the lowest score of the match, the only thing that was said to me was "when are you coming back?"

edit: I cant get spell check to work and its been a 14 hour work day so sorry if large parts of any of that are unreadable!

Last edited:
Dan, I am so glad you took up the "challenge".

I KNEW you would love it, that's why I said what I said to you.

Theodore Roosevelt said something about guys like you:
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Rod Rosa: 799-45x. Simply amazing....

I made two BONEHEAD mistakes that cost me about 30 points. 300 yard rapid, two sighters in the 9 ring at 9 o'clock. I figure I need about a 1 1/2 min to the right so I turn the knob. Unfortunately I turned it to the left and shot my first string into the 7 / 8 ring. Then at 600 I cross fired onto a hospital. Would have been a wide 10. I've never done either of those things EVER in a match or in practice....

At least Rod had a good day. [grin]

Wow he keeps getting better. He had a 795 in Vermont a couple of years ago. Same thing, lost all five on his feet. It was a real pleasure to watch excellence like that.

B

When I handed in my score card, with what was the lowest score of the match, the only thing that was said to me was "when are you coming back?"

Nice write up. If you keep coming back, strap yourself in for a rocket ride. Once you get a few matches under your belt and you know what is going on you can really focus on the marksmanship and you will see your scored go up dramatically.

Glad you had a great time.

B

Rod Rosa: 799-45x. Simply amazing....

I made two BONEHEAD mistakes that cost me about 30 points. 300 yard rapid, two sighters in the 9 ring at 9 o'clock. I figure I need about a 1 1/2 min to the right so I turn the knob. Unfortunately I turned it to the left and shot my first string into the 7 / 8 ring. Then at 600 I cross fired onto a hospital. Would have been a wide 10. I've never done either of those things EVER in a match or in practice....

At least Rod had a good day. [grin]

I believe it was Rod that was shooting directly to my left ( target 8, relay 1? ). I was terrified I was going to accidentally shoot on to his target!

Last edited:
A 799-45x? Meh,...his NPA must have been off.

Seriously though, those are National Champion-level scores.

Back
Top Bottom