• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

please view if your looking for a mossberg shockwave

Billy2

Instructor
NES Member
So I am a huge mossberg fan and I wanted a shockwave as soon as I saw them at shot show. Its an awsome weapon for home defense and I knew I had to have one. I picked one up and I am a big fan, however its not really much smaller than my pistol grip 500. I just wanted to post a pic for anyone on the fence.

the shockwave is also a great host for anyone wanting to make a sbs but as a stand alone the average shooter may prefer a pistol grip 500
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0306 (2).jpg
    IMAG0306 (2).jpg
    254 KB · Views: 706
Isn't the Shockwave a factory SBS and thus the only way to get an SBS in MA? Or it's an AOW or something? That would be it's biggest draw compared to the pistol grip shotgun.

its a aow
No, the [thread=326606]Mossberg shockwave[/thread] is non-NFA.

This means no fingerprints, no waiting, no tax stamp, no 5320.20 required for travel across state lines.

I picked one up and I am a big fan, however its not really much smaller than my pistol grip 500.
True, this 14" barrel "firearm" is legally just as short as the shortest legal shotgun, however much of that length is behind the receiver:
attachment.php

The shockwave grip is less punishing than Mossberg's standard pistol grip, I've been told the spring-loaded Knoxx pistol grip is the best option for reducing recoil from full-power loads, but the Knoxx won't activate when using mini-shells.

Last edited:
Starting as PGO and going to < 26" OAL creates an AOW

If short is your thing, easier to just go with a pre-built "Compact Cruiser", only requires a $5 tax stamp since it arrives as an AOW.

COuld you put a regular pistol grip on the shockwave? That would shorten it up a bit- as long as it is still 24 inches for MA right?
Going shorter than 26" would make this 26.37" firearm fall under the NFA. Assuming you haven't received a $200 tax stamp from BATFE for this specific serial number, instant felony. While shorter would be cool, one of the big advantages of this being a non-NFA firearm is that it can cross state lines without Federal paperwork.

I assume MA has their own rules, but keeping the length +26" is needed to stay within the bounds of Federal law.

Last edited:
Ok i will rephrase. How long have you been able to walk into a shop a buy a shockwave? I remember calling 4 seasons a month or 2 ago and it was not for sale yet.

Call different stores till one agrees to sell to you. Also watch for price gouging.

Back
Top Bottom